GDT: Game #4| Jan. 24, 2013|Rangers at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
One of the biggest insults tonight I heard from Flyers fans against Ranger fans was

"How is Nash working out for you guys?"

Nash pickup may have messed their chemistry up.....but too soon to count him and the Rangers out but they don't look all that great so far. Having played Boston last night probably didn't help their cause tonight but Flyers still played very well collectively.

Ha ha. Weeping and teething off Nash.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
First game from Couts that I thought he did good. He always is pretty good defensively but liked seeing him get some offense. Maybe its cause of voracek on that line.

Also i like that first lind of Simmonds-Giroux-Read. Finally Read had a very very good game. Looking forward to seeing that line in the future.

On defense schenn and grossmann were monsters. Seriously every game schenn has been solid for us for defensively.

When Briere and Schenn return id try keeping things somewhat similar...

Edited (knuble added)
Read-Giroux-Simmonds
Briere-Couturier-Voracek
Schenn-Laughton-McGinn
Feds-Talbot-Knuble

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Also gotta give Lavy some credit. People ***** about his system but in a game where we needed to be defensively sound he made it work. You can easily tell its the similar system but with defensive attributes in it. Definitely not the same system we have had

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Also gotta give Lavy some credit. People ***** about his system but in a game where we needed to be defensively sound he made it work. You can easily tell its the similar system but with defensive attributes in it. Definitely not the same system we have had

Yes. I liked seeing the more conservative breakout, instead of trying to blast long passes for fast transitions. It wasn't working.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

His system is fairly effective when he has the right personnel ....he's limited now so yeah he was forced to adjust (even "asked" to) and it looks like he finally did somewhat. Who knows if it's him or his help from Paddock and others but I liked the attention to detail from the team on D. They pretty much trapped more from what I saw at the game.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
good to get the 2 points. Pk was great when it needed to be. Bryz played well again.

Seeing that Mcginn fight. he sure can throw em. he does need to ditch the visor tho if hes going to drop the gloves.
I do wonder if those 2 have a history in the AHL.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I feel like couturier finally had a good game. I wasn't really impressed with him the first couple of games. He's still getting beat on a lot faceoffs in our own end. Hopefully he improves on that as the season goes on.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
First game from Couts that I thought he did good. He always is pretty good defensively but liked seeing him get some offense. Maybe its cause of voracek on that line.

Also i like that first lind of Simmonds-Giroux-Read. Finally Read had a very very good game. Looking forward to seeing that line in the future.

On defense schenn and grossmann were monsters. Seriously every game schenn has been solid for us for defensively.

When Briere and Schenn return id try keeping things somewhat similar...

Edited (knuble added)
Read-Giroux-Simmonds
Briere-Couturier-Voracek
Schenn-Laughton-McGinn
Feds-Talbot-Knuble

I think this team plays with an edge whenever Sestito is in the lineup. I'd like to see him in there more. He set the tone early for this team last night and it carried through most of the game.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think this team plays with an edge whenever Sestito is in the lineup. I'd like to see him in there more. He set the tone early for this team last night and it carried through most of the game.

Me too. Big Sestito fan. I know it is not a popular sentiment these days, but I think a really rough and tumble fourth line would make things very difficult for the opposition. Much of the league is becoming flashy and moving away from the gritty stuff. If the Flyers come out with a line of Sestito-Talbot-Rinaldo (or something along those lines), it would be tough for a lot of the softer teams out there to match up. Yes Sestito is not a defensively sound player, but Talbot is and Rinaldo can hold his own. They won't be shutting guys down with their defensive skills though, they will be shutting them down by bruising them up.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Great win but man that 5-on-3 was nuts.

Go figure their top 3 forwards on the ice for that make more than 21,900,000 combined...our three guys on the ice killing the penalty combined make what 1/2 or 1/3 of that? Watched via webcast so quality was poor but when you pay that much money for your top line and they are up against 3 guys...they better score

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I hate to be one of the people that's a fan of a goonish type guy, but chalk me up as one that likes the dynamic with Sestito in the lineup. The dude is a wrecking ball, plays relatively clean, can fight to provide a spark, and can actually play hockey. He can easily play 4th line hockey and not hurt your squad. He's thrown some devestating hits in his time here and I think it just provides an edge that is beneficial to the team. He's Rinaldo without the side show, IMO.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I hate to be one of the people that's a fan of a goonish type guy, but chalk me up as one that likes the dynamic with Sestito in the lineup. The dude is a wrecking ball, plays relatively clean, can fight to provide a spark, and can actually play hockey. He can easily play 4th line hockey and not hurt your squad. He's thrown some devestating hits in his time here and I think it just provides an edge that is beneficial to the team. He's Rinaldo without the side show, IMO.

Honestly I don't think Rinaldo has a side show, I think he has a target on him from the refs.

Clyde Donovan

Nov 29, 2009
Philly
Agree, I like Sestito in the lineup. Funniest part of the night was the ooohhhh's from the crowd when he dangled that Ranger haha. Talbot has been one of the best players on the ice since the season started IMO. This game was a huge win and say what you want about Briere but him coming back into the lineup will give this team even more of a spark.

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

With that line though who do you take out to put him in there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad