GDT: Game #4| Jan. 24, 2013|Rangers at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Other than the fight, how has McGinn looked?

He was pretty good. He skated hard and made smart, safe plays with the puck. All you can ask really. I like him better than Rinaldo in the lineup. He's bigger, a better skater and doesn't get penalties called on him for his reputation.

Sestito played well too. I'm not going to get crazy and say that Shelley was good just because he didn't directly cause a goal against.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
How great it is not having to worry about goaltending. Bryz has been very good so far this season. Kudos to him for starting off well and hopefully he keeps it up.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
How great it is not having to worry about goaltending. Bryz has been very good so far this season. Kudos to him for starting off well and hopefully he keeps it up.

Ditto. He looks very confident and is moving well. The quick leg in the second on that shot off the quick wrister from the slot was his best tonight.

One small thing I noticed, though, was that Bryz hugs the post too much, with half of him over the red line. With the number of own-goals on inadvertent redirects, I'd like to see him stretch the opposite leg out along the goal line.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
He was pretty good. He skated hard and made smart, safe plays with the puck. All you can ask really. I like him better than Rinaldo in the lineup. He's bigger, a better skater and doesn't get penalties called on him for his reputation.

Sestito played well too. I'm not going to get crazy and say that Shelley was good just because he didn't directly cause a goal against.

Does the exact same thing as Rinaldo except he is bigger, doesnt take bad penalties, and can actually fight.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I agree with you.........MANY forget he was hurt with a foot injury late last season.

Bryzgalov stats during the second half of last season:

18 - 8 - 1 with 2.01 GAA and .946 Save Percentage.

That last number is off the chart. If Bryz even played at his career average during the first half of last season (.916 Save Percentage). He would have finished with a save percentage in the neighbourhood of .930.

I'm not surprised how well Bryz is playing. I also like the fact that they played a real defensive gem tonight. This is how they should be playing in a shortened season - lock it down and play every game like it's a playoff game.

And I have to admit, I'm very impressed with McGinn. He might have earned a spot on this club for the next little while. He's a big hitter, plays within his limits and is a very physical player. He's Sestito, but with ability and great skating ability.

ayshplaysh

Jul 2, 2011
So glad I went to the game, right behind the net! Got to see both goals right in front of me, but I think the crowd was the loudest during that PK, every clear was like a goal.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Very good game to be at...luckily I didn't sell my ticket! I'm glad the team tightened the D up and paid attention to details. I concur with those saying Shelley played well...he wasn't fast but played smart positionally. Bryz looked like March 2012 Bryz. So far 2013 Bryz is looking much more confident in net.

The only bad thing about the game tonight were the two fans behind me lamenting that Flyers shouldn't have never gotten Bryz but made Leighton and Bob 1 and 2 respectively...:help:

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
another great game for couturier. he's looking like one of our best defensive forwards already. the fourth line was pretty good tonight as well given its makeup. sestito and shelley both looked pretty stoked to be playing at all.

bryz had another great showing. the only goal was off another unfortunate pk bounce and an unstoppable backdoor shot. his save on nash during the 5 on 3 sealed the game.

the rangers don't look that great in the early going. this was a great win and a good place for the flyers to start given the recent history against the rags but they have to grind a bit harder. they're not gonna win many games on only 2 goals.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
One of the biggest insults tonight I heard from Flyers fans against Ranger fans was

"How is Nash working out for you guys?"

Nash pickup may have messed their chemistry up.....but too soon to count him and the Rangers out but they don't look all that great so far. Having played Boston last night probably didn't help their cause tonight but Flyers still played very well collectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad