GDT: Game #4: Coyotes @ Blues - 5:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I don't mind Nash, he's a goof ball but he's also likable. It feels like he does a good job of making the broadcast family friendly, and I imagine kids find him entertaining.

McConnell is fine, but I'd LOVE an upgrade. His voice kind of bothers me.

Dermott has exceeded expectations, but he's still a bottom 4 D at best. If we're looking at him as a higher end piece on this blue line, then we have a bigger problem back there than many of us knew. Many said our D could be an issue, we need some pretty heavy upgrades when we're ready to compete.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I don't mind Nash, he's a goof ball but he's also likable. It feels like he does a good job of making the broadcast family friendly, and I imagine kids find him entertaining.

McConnell is fine, but I'd LOVE an upgrade. His voice kind of bothers me.

Dermott has exceeded expectations, but he's still a bottom 4 D at best. If we're looking at him as a higher end piece on this blue line, then we have a bigger problem back there than many of us knew. Many said our D could be an issue, we need some pretty heavy upgrades when we're ready to compete.
Dermott and Valimaki were both pretty highly rated prospects at one time...not top prospects, but I would say expected to be above average players. Both have had injury issues that hurt their development. Just good little pickups by BA and the pro scouting staff to take a chance on them and so far it's looking like it has worked out. If they can get anywhere close to what their potential was, even for just a couple of years, that helps out the team a lot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well Strader survived a few. Only left because he got a national gig.
Strader is the best PBP I’ve ever heard in any sport at any level.

Dermott and Valimaki were both pretty highly rated prospects at one time...not top prospects, but I would say expected to be above average players. Both have had injury issues that hurt their development. Just good little pickups by BA and the pro scouting staff to take a chance on them and so far it's looking like it has worked out. If they can get anywhere close to what their potential was, even for just a couple of years, that helps out the team a lot.
Makes me want to trade for Lafreniere. Tourigny seems good at revitalizing former top prospects that are headed the wrong way. Hayton, Valimaki, Dermott and maybe more I’m forgetting.

I’d give the rangers back the two seconds they gave us to take Nemeth.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Strader is the best PBP I’ve ever heard in any sport at any level.

Makes me want to trade for Lafreniere. Tourigny seems good at revitalizing former top prospects that are headed the wrong way. Hayton, Valimaki, Dermott and maybe more I’m forgetting.

I’d give the rangers back the two seconds they gave us to take Nemeth.
Could be worth a shot, but I feel like a winger would have to go the other way. With guys like Doan, But, possibly Fedotov etc coming down the pipeline…only can have so many top 9 quality wingers.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Those chickens are unhatched, so I’m not counting them. ;)
True. I guess having too many talented players isn’t a bad problem to have. Then you can take your pick which ones you want to keep and which ones you want to flip for other assets. Would be nice too if and when Cooley goes to top line then Hayton could pair up with Laf…

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Honestly they’re fine to me…they’re both corny goofballs so they do ok together. McConnell usually bugs me more than Nash for some reason. It would be nice to have someone sort of like Tony Romo for the NFL, where he’s able to breakdown plays and give more insights into the finer nuances of hockey to educate more people…but Nash does ok most of the time. It’s Walsh that’s the one for me that drives me nuts. I’m used to him after so many years, but man, he’s insufferable.
I'm fine with Nash as well. The thing is, I believe Nash has to carry McConnell because McConnell doesn't do a good job a PBP and talks more than he does calling the play. Do not like Walsh.

Reactions: Foggy1097

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I've given up expecting this franchise to do the commonsensical thing with regard to broadcasting. Hell, Meruelo owns broadcasting entities of his own; he should have known better than to put his games on a secondary digital channel that half the Valley can't even get on an antenna, and then put the radio side onto a network that preempts live games for Cardinals and Suns talk shows (last night, hearing Heethuis say, "At 6pm, the rest of the game will be on the Arizona Sports app," was one of the most embarrassing things I've experienced as a Coyotes fan in two decades and it has a LOT of competition).

Stream the f***ing games, guys. Jeez.
pathetic

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I've given up expecting this franchise to do the commonsensical thing with regard to broadcasting. Hell, Meruelo owns broadcasting entities of his own; he should have known better than to put his games on a secondary digital channel that half the Valley can't even get on an antenna, and then put the radio side onto a network that preempts live games for Cardinals and Suns talk shows (last night, hearing Heethuis say, "At 6pm, the rest of the game will be on the Arizona Sports app," was one of the most embarrassing things I've experienced as a Coyotes fan in two decades and it has a LOT of competition).

Stream the f***ing games, guys. Jeez.

Did you watch the PHNX podcast this morning?

XG laid out everything. Including nearly all the hoops they were getting put through.

(hint: Coyotes weren’t the only group involved with Diamond that got hung out in the breeze here.)

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

XG laid out everything. Including nearly all the hoops they were getting put through.

(hint: Coyotes weren’t the only group involved with Diamond that got hung out in the breeze here.)
That was the first PHNX podcast I watched in like forever, but I thought it was excellent. Not so much the questions, but the answers and explanations XG gave. Since AM bought the team they have endured lots, as XG explained. These type of individuals show and prove why they are millionaires and we aren't.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That was the first PHNX podcast I watched in like forever, but I thought it was excellent. Not so much the questions, but the answers and explanations XG gave. Since AM bought the team they have endured lots, as XG explained. These type of individuals show and prove why they are millionaires and we aren't.

Well they’ve made a number of mistakes themselves, but they understand the situation with fans that are still scrambling to catch games. Scripps has to get their end of it done.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well they’ve made a number of mistakes themselves, but they understand the situation with fans that are still scrambling to catch games. Scripps has to get their end of it done.
All concerned were under the gun. The feed is already getting better.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Those chickens are unhatched, so I’m not counting them. ;)
I'm still waiting on the Pinto saga and how it plays out. Being pro-rated does not help them by waiting.
I'd offer
Boyd@50% and those 2 2nds that you already mentioned for Pinto.

I've been thinking about an extended Pesce for Crouse too and expect that it wouldn't sit well with fans. I also think that we still are going to get Myers as a pure dump once the Canucks find a replacement, maybe Bear, maybe in a Garland trade...

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Who would've thought Hayton would be our #1 center at this point? He's screening goalies every game. I know he can work on his faceoffs, back checkeing and shooting but the dude is doing what he should do. No points this game but he was a player. If he can stand in front of the net and take that, he can go in ther corners on either side. I like seeing that progression and confidence. Ingram was great too, he's playing not to just be a backup.
If Hayton reaches a Hartman level of center than we have a Swiss army knife type center who can play with skilled wingers or two-way guys. I'm not going to worry about him playing up to his draft position because that likely won't happen, especially with Cooley and Geekie coming up behind him. But if he can be a solid 2C every team wants we will be very happy with him

One game ago, I was impressed that Dermott was escaping the press box rotation.
Now, he lead all Coyotes skaters in TOI last night.
I think this may say more about our blueline than Dermott. But we shall see. AT seems to work magic on all kinds of players so we shall see.

I was only able to watch part of the 1st and the replay. But we got two stars in Keller and Schmaltz. Cooley looks the part but it's four games in. I was a little nervous about Maccelli but he was a huge reason for two goals last night.

The foundation is here and now we need to bridge the gap with the next stream of prospects.

Oh...and Guenther hasn't event arrived

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm still waiting on the Pinto saga and how it plays out. Being pro-rated does not help them by waiting.
I'd offer

I've been thinking about an extended Pesce for Crouse too and expect that it wouldn't sit well with fans. I also think that we still are going to get Myers as a pure dump once the Canucks find a replacement, maybe Bear, maybe in a Garland trade...
I don't think Crouse is going anywhere. Bill signed him for 5 years and he's played just 1 so far. He's the heavy hitting - goal scoring player type that Bill is using all his draft capital on.

Neither Myers nor Garland are coming. I'm very sure of that. Myers could've made some sense before we got Durzi and Dumba. I think it's time for you to move on from that idea.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I don't think Crouse is going anywhere. Bill signed him for 5 years and he's played just 1 so far. He's the heavy hitting - goal scoring player type that Bill is using all his draft capital on.

Neither Myers nor Garland are coming. I'm very sure of that. Myers could've made some sense before we got Durzi and Dumba. I think it's time for you to move on from that idea.
Sorry about the way I worded it. Garland is not coming here, that bridge is burned. I was implying that the Canucks are looking for a RHD and once they found one they'll dump Myers to free up cap space. I also believe that we would like to go with 8D and this team could use Pesce, he would fit in perfectly, just what we need to get over the bubble. I agree that I wouldn't want to pay the price that the 'Canes would be asking. Now with Voracek and Little contracts expiring I could see us being interested in free agency.Hell, we could afford Skjei too with money left over.
I also believe if we could get over the bubble and just make the playoffs, we could attract top free agents next off-season.
I also know I am being impatient, but it's been so darn long...

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Not trying to dump on all your ideas. They're well thought out. I just think it's rare to see trades in-season, so far ahead of the deadline.

I'd be thrilled if we could land Pinto. Not sure which C would lose his spot. Maybe slide Bjugstad to RW and sit Boyd?

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Not trying to dump on all your ideas. They're well thought out. I just think it's rare to see trades in-season, so far ahead of the deadline.

I'd be thrilled if we could land Pinto. Not sure which C would lose his spot. Maybe slide Bjugstad to RW and sit Boyd?
Part of trade would be sending Boyd (@50%) the other way. They could send him to the A since he already passed waivers (for depth reasons).
The premise of adding Pinto is that he would center for Maccelli and keep Cooley on a different line. I like the idea of having Hayton Cooley Pinto and McBain down the middle (all still pretty young). That would be unheard of in Coyote Hockey. It isn't likely, just a possibility. I'm still hopeful that at sometime during the season Guenther look likes he not only belongs in Tempe, but he will establish himself as Cooley's RW. I believe that's the long term vision of Coach Tourigny. The priority now seems to be letting Cooley get use to the NHL before bringing up Guenther and letting Guenther establish his game in Tucson and perhaps bulk up a bit ( that's probably obvious to everyone here on forum 40).

I post this even though I believe we need that 1 blueliner to get us over the bubble more.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd offer

I think you are dreaming with these trades.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd offer

I don’t think that’s anywhere close to good enough an offer for Pinto, unfortunately. They’d probably want Geekie.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Yeah, I watched it. It was an interesting hour.

I'm particularly interested in the radio side - I can tell that XG/Meruelo are not happy being the "leftovers" with Bonneville. I'd think that with their new production company being seeded with people from Meruelo's LA TV/radio holdings, Meruelo might consider buying a station in town and making the Coyotes the flagship product on it. But then, Bonneville has a chokehold on the SLC market, and if they're going to have Coyotes games on broadcast in SLC then they have to work with Bonneville on the radio side. There is no other option.

Basically, what I gleaned from Gutierrez' interview is that we're all just simply in for more pain for the next few months, which is basically our lot in life as Coyotes fans. :sarcasm:

Reactions: TheLegend

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I don’t think that’s anywhere close to good enough an offer for Pinto, unfortunately. They’d probably want Geekie.
Geekie doesn't help them this year, but I guess my trade scenario isn't much of a help either. But you have to admit Pinto would be a great fit.

I think you are dreaming with these trades.
What's wrong with dreaming? It sure beats reality in today's world!

IronFinn

Apr 21, 2022
Scottsdale
Ottawa is in a tough cap spot. They only have $40k in space, are running with just a 21 man roster, and have a top unsigned rookie looking to make ~$3m per year. Who do they dump to fit Pinto in?

rt

May 13, 2004
Geekie doesn't help them this year, but I guess my trade scenario isn't much of a help either. But you have to admit Pinto would be a great fit.

What's wrong with dreaming? It sure beats reality in today's world!
Two 2nds don’t help them this year either and Boyd has no value even with retention. He cleared waivers for a reason. My point is those two 2nds are worth maybe pick 31 or 32. Pinto is worth more like pick 8 or 9. So that value is off, is all I’m saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad