GDT: GAME #4: Canucks @ Flames again, this time with more Miller | 6:00 p.m. PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I honestly think we might be best suited to use Miller at 3C on a line with Motte and someone else (Virtanen/whoever)

The Gaudette Project at 3C hasn't been working out, I think he might be best suited as a winger. Plug him with EP and Brock.

We need a C who can take shutdown minutes off Horvat's line because Höglander is clicking but they shouldn't be leaned on as the matchup line with him there.

I've always liked Beagle but he's done and running on fumes, never mind his age you should never give bottom line players more than 2 years. He should have been gone in the offseason and replaced by any one of the multitude of cheap 4th line C's (Christ with this crazy year we could have signed a good player for sub 1M too).

Sutter isn't good enough to play above the 4th line anymore and he's only good to play about 60-75% of the games in a season.

We don't really have anyone who can step in outside of these guys, I guess Michaelis had a good camp? Graovac maybe. I never thought I'd miss the days of having someone like Andrew Ebbett in the press box. This is also why it is always worth it to stock up your farm team with journeymen veteran C's. It feels like since Cal O'Reilly left Utica they've been starved, and nevermind only one guy you should have two.
Yeah, I think at this point it’s become glaringly obvious that Gaudette is a winger. It’s sad to read that JB is looking for a top 6 winger when 3C is clearly a bigger need.

Reactions: Index

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I honestly think we might be best suited to use Miller at 3C on a line with Motte and someone else (Virtanen/whoever)

The Gaudette Project at 3C hasn't been working out, I think he might be best suited as a winger. Plug him with EP and Brock.

We need a C who can take shutdown minutes off Horvat's line because Höglander is clicking but they shouldn't be leaned on as the matchup line with him there.

I've always liked Beagle but he's done and running on fumes, never mind his age you should never give bottom line players more than 2 years. He should have been gone in the offseason and replaced by any one of the multitude of cheap 4th line C's (Christ with this crazy year we could have signed a good player for sub 1M too).

Sutter isn't good enough to play above the 4th line anymore and he's only good to play about 60-75% of the games in a season.

We don't really have anyone who can step in outside of these guys, I guess Michaelis had a good camp? Graovac maybe. I never thought I'd miss the days of having someone like Andrew Ebbett in the press box. This is also why it is always worth it to stock up your farm team with journeymen veteran C's. It feels like since Cal O'Reilly left Utica they've been starved, and nevermind only one guy you should have two.
Miller is the best playmaker on the team and I think he pretty much has to be on the top line. He just wins one puck battle after another and draws defenders. I'd rather try to find another solution to the 3C problem. I'd even rather have Sutter there.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Do you think he will help make all of our shitty players be less shitty. Or do you think they will continue to be shitty?
tenor.gif

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Miller is the best playmaker on the team and I think he pretty much has to be on the top line. He just wins one puck battle after another and draws defenders. I'd rather try to find another solution to the 3C problem. I'd even rather have Sutter there.
Him being on the top line is a huge benefit but EP is the best playmaker on the team imo. If Pettersson and Boeser are going to be as good as they need to be for us to contend down the road, the third guy can't be the difference maker for their lines effectiveness.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I also just realized I totally forgot Jayce Hawryluk existed, Tyler Motte's training camp slewfoots altered the fabric of space and time

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Has to be a trade. Sutter has lost a step thanks to multiple injuries and he’s probably going to get injured at some point this season again. I’d give that Michaelis kid a shot but if he fails then explore trades for a serviceable 3C using Gaudette/Virtanen/OJ/Dipietro as trade chips.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Him being on the top line is a huge benefit but EP is the best playmaker on the team imo. If Pettersson and Boeser are going to be as good as they need to be for us to contend down the road, the third guy can't be the difference maker for their lines effectiveness.
In terms of raw passing skill, in a vacuum with the puck on his stick in tight and with passing options he can't see, EP is the best. But Miller gets the puck and uses his size and speed to keep possession and open up passing lanes. I rate Miller the better playmaker because he deliberately creates opportunities to make more straightforward plays that result in goals.

Reactions: Indiana and Hansen

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Has to be a trade. Sutter has lost a step thanks to multiple injuries and he’s probably going to get injured at some point this season again. I’d give that Michaelis kid a shot but if he fails then explore trades for a serviceable 3C using Gaudette/Virtanen/OJ/Dipietro as trade chips.
I'm as curious about what Michaelis can do as the next person but I kind of suspect he'd be here already if he'd shown he could take that spot. But if Gaudette can't break through there I think we'll see him up eventually taking a crack at it.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Not sure where to ask this so I'll ask here... is there not a thread for just general Canucks talk? The post game thread veered into more of a general conversation, then got shut down because of that. Bit of a conversation killer.
Welcome to HFCanucks.

We do this differently round here.

We bicker and bicker and bicker in the GDT until the adults cut us off and then we start diffuse our bickering into individual threads.

There are aways veiled and unveiled insults about one’s intelligence, Canuck fan worthiness and hockey knowledge being tossed around randomly and haphazardly and a lot of paranoid delusional theories being postulated that sometimes makes a lot of sense but sometimes are just plain coo coo.

Tldr the rabble bicker and the adults keep the peace. It’s a fine balance that seems to work so far.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id mix up the lines quite a bit to get the guys going

Pearson Pettersson Virtanen
Miller Horvat Roussell
Hog Sutter Boeser
Motte Gaudette Beagle

Edler Juolevi
Hughes Schmidt
Hamonic Myers

Demmer

Last edited:
Reactions: Elite Grinder

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I'm as curious about what Michaelis can do as the next person but I kind of suspect he'd be here already if he'd shown he could take that spot. But if Gaudette can't break through there I think we'll see him up eventually taking a crack at it.

I wouldn't be confident in that assumption. More likely this management team would rather continue to pound a square peg into a round hole

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Welcome to HFCanucks.

We do this differently round here.

We bicker and bicker and bicker in the GDT until the adults cut us off and then we start diffuse our bickering into individual threads.

There are aways veiled and unveiled insults about one’s intelligence, Canuck fan worthiness and hockey knowledge being tossed around randomly and haphazardly and a lot of paranoid delusional theories being postulated that sometimes makes a lot of sense but sometimes are just plain coo coo.

Tldr the rabble bicker and the adults keep the peace. It’s a fine balance that seems to work so far.
If we didn't bicker, the mods would become complacent and lose their finely-honed edge.

Then standards would slip.

Then chaos would begin to take hold.

Entropy would accelerate at an unbridled pace.

Existence would consume itself.

Really, there is nothing between us and the void but the rabble-rousers.

PS It's BROCK BOESER!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Not sure where to ask this so I'll ask here... is there not a thread for just general Canucks talk? The post game thread veered into more of a general conversation, then got shut down because of that. Bit of a conversation killer.
Welcome noobie!

And the answer is YES

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Question:

In Petey's rookie year, he played mostly with Boeser, but who was the third guy on their line? This was the year before Miller arrived here. Was it Baertchi? Eriksson?

Reactions: Indiana

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Scary how seemingly reliant we are on JT Miller. I would expect him to be pretty rusty to start off.

I don’t think he’ll be much more rusty then the rest of the team, it’s not like they’ve been on point. I think he’ll be fine.

I agree though, if Miller is actually the catalyst, then our team is in a lot of trouble haha. I don’t think that is the case though, this has just been a bad start.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

The post game thread was shut down because it was devolving to people bemoaning the state of the board / other users and their perspectives. No thread is permitted to do that.

We have a lot of threads to discuss players, management, personnel, etc - if you feel one is missing, by all means feel free to create a topic.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think a top six forward is still a fine thing to look for, mostly because I want to see a line up of Pettersson, Horvat and Miller centering three lines.

I think sustained offensive pressure, and playing power against power when we can, will win us the season.

But in the name of getting Miller back into form, along with the rest of the team, I'm looking very forward to Miller with Pettersson and Boeser though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad