GDT: GAME #4: Canucks @ Flames again, this time with more Miller | 6:00 p.m. PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Our 2 most important PK'ers last year were Markstrom and Tanev. They probably also provided much more "veteran leadership" to the young guys than our bottom 6 combined. Guys looked up to Tanev and Marky, but I seriously doubt anyone went to Roussel or Eriksson for advice.

I've said it 100x. You dont easily replace what Tanev did here.

Reactions: geebaan

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I always thought Green was brought in to be a transitional coach once the team was ready to contend, and last year kinda changed my mind. Maybe I was right in the first place.

I thought the same way. Once we got to "contending" we needed a more professional coach. But the covid cup gave him a lifeline.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not convinced that the owners really care much about what happens this season. There's no revenues coming in, and the payroll is bloated beyond all reason.

So if the Canucks drop out of the playoff picture in the North Division, does it really matter? Clean out the deadwood at the end of the season; get a high draft pick; and set the table for 2021-22, which hopefully will be a normal season.

Reactions: geebaan and David71

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Given the direction of the team going forward it was genuinely the right decision to let Markstrom and Tanev go at their asking price. If your team utterly collapses into being basement-level after letting those two go then you have much bigger problems
Yup the issue isn't letting either go. Tanev will probably get injured soon and Marky will eventually fall off like a lot of goalies into their 30'. We aren't contenders even with those two. Now maybe if you remove the 40 million spent on crap and replace them with half decent players along with tanev and Marky it might start to look like a contender.

The problem is all the bad contracts handed out in the Benning regime. One after another like clockwork with no plan and no long term vision. You can survive one bad contract but If you keep handing them out eventually shit hits the fan. It has completely torpedoed any flexibility to improve and heads are eventually going to roll.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I have no idea what the Canucks are going to do with some of their veteran players.....I suppose there's a chance that guys like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, etc. may come on as the season wears on. But as of right now, they're not even replacement level NHL players. And that's not to mention that the Canucks still have almost $10 million in salary cap room tied up in two guys who apparently aren't even good enough to be in the lineup.

Until the salary cap deadwood is cleared out, this team really can't expect to be competitive. And that won't happen until this season is flushed.

Suter has been replacement level ever since he got traded here.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
0/17 to start the year on the powerplay.

Myers, Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Baertschi = $25 million. I'm pretty sure these guys could all be replaced with AHL players with the same effect. No joke.
Special teams have been so bad. Putrid. Don’t stand a chance with this kind of line up if the special teams are this bad.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Yup the issue isn't letting either go. Tanev will probably get injured soon and Marky will eventually fall off like a lot of goalies into their 30'. We aren't contenders even with those two. Now maybe if you remove the 40 million spent on crap and replace them with half decent players along with tanev and Marky it might start to look like a contender.

The problem is all the bad contracts handed out in the Benning regime. One after another like clockwork with no plan and no long term vision. You can survive one bad contract but If you keep handing them out eventually shit hits the fan. It has completely torpedoed any flexibility to improve and heads are eventually going to roll.

And this is the biggest and most frustrating problem, along with not acquiring draft picks and prospects, and in some cases trading them. For instance, Nucks could have Schmidt, Tanev, Hughes, and hypothetically Andersson(Sven pick). I don't think we could fit them long-term under the cap but it shows in a small way with proper management could have.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
Next to Nate Schmidt...Tyler Myers is the only other Canuck signed past 2023. What a f***ing shame.

Boeser, EP, and Hughes are looming RFA's over the next 2 years. Horvat and Miller are UFA's by the end of the 2022-2023 season.

Realistically...2020-2022 was their window and it's already been shut.

Just imagine the f***ing Blackhawks organization signing the likes of Scott Nichol, Sean Avery and Jeff Cowan to term deals in 2008-2009 and those moves preventing them from signing Hossa...Just f***ing imagine.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Next to Nate Schmidt...Tyler Myers is the only other Canuck signed past 2023. What a f***ing shame.

Boeser, EP, and Hughes are looming RFA's over the next 2 years. Horvat and Miller are UFA's by the end of the 2022-2023 season.

Realistically...2020-2022 was their window and it's already been shut.

Just imagine the f***ing Blackhawks organization signing the likes of Scott Nichol, Sean Avery and Jeff Cowan to term deals in 2008-2009 and those moves preventing them from signing Hossa...Just f***ing imagine.
noone knew signing Myers to such a long costly contract would be a bad idea. HINESIGHT

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I expect to get smashed by MTL. They're rolling and we just got eviscerated by Alberta.

Every loss win and loss in this condensed season means much more... starting with a record like this and more to come most likely in MTL, makes me scared for our draft picks

Montreal should definitely come in guns blazing on this team while they're down and trying to solve their PK + PP issues with 1 day off before the first 2 games.

To your point as expected this condensed schedule allows for less of a runway if you struggle and you'll only lose more as we continue. If they flounder vs Montreal they still can't underestimate the Sens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->