GDT: Game 4: Canada Vs USA | 1PM EST 7PM CET | Can 6 - 4 USA

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lafreniere is also a draft-eligible player that just turned 18. There are some players in this tournament that are near 20 years old. I wouldn't even be sure Lafreniere is the best player on his own team, although he played the best today. Smith and Hayton are nearly 20 years old, and probably should be playing regular roles in the NHL this season. Look how Hughes and Kakko are struggling in the NHL this season. Not everyone comes into the NHL immediately and is as good as McDavid.

I don't think Hayton or Smith are ready for regular roles in the NHL. Probably why they are here.
Laf was outstanding today. I think he is heating up. He was the best today by far. I think that will continue. He does not have to worry about being in the NHL now. I hope the lines change for team USA so we can see if they can be a better team in the big games playing their offensive stars in more prominent roles. They were one knocked down pass from OT in this one so its not like they were not in it as is.

Reactions: Belhammer16

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well, Lafreniere is also better than Kakko and Hughes so...

Laf is to my eyes the best forward prospect since McDavid. His complete game at this age is as NHL ready as you can get, he’s also got a mean streak to him that I absolutely love, he’s a physical tank who can create havoc on the forecheck.
At 6'1", with possible room to grow, he has the potential to be terrific.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Goaltending could be better for Canada, but the rest of the team looked pretty damn solid for the most part. Looking forward to the next game!

Go Canada Go!!!

Reactions: Habs Icing

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
You mentioned Drury already. Ford played more than Turcotte, Zegras, Kaliyev and Brink. Stastney played a regular shift, York didn't even hit 3 minutes. Even Beecher and Pinto are way more grinders than any of the four I mentioned above. They should not be playing in the top six over those players.
Drury is not a "grinder". A skill player who is not playing competently does not become a "grinder", merely because he isn't contributing points. He just becomes a poor skill player.

Stastney is also not a "grinder." The fact that he is a less competent skill player than York doesn't make him a grinder. It makes him a bad skill player.

"Beecher and Pinto are way more grinder", no. They are grinders, or they are skill players. That they can play more physically than the opposing players doesn't turn them into grinders. They are just skill players, who also play a little more physically. The same could be said for Ford.

It's probably true to say "the coach should play these skilled players less than these more skilled players." But to say they're grinders merely because they're failing as skill players is mis-addressing the problem. Think of it the reverse example. Matt Martin suddenly stops hitting people. Does he then become a "skill player"? If the team started losing, would it be because the coach was playing too many skill players?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Hopefully Quinton Byfield will get some minutes. He's within a couple weeks of being a 2021 draft pick so you can see why Team Canada may restrict his play. The penalty didn't help.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think Hayton or Smith are ready for regular roles in the NHL. Probably why they are here.
Laf was outstanding today. I think he is heating up. He was the best today by far. I think that will continue. He does not have to worry about being in the NHL now. I hope the lines change for team USA so we can see if they can be a better team in the big games playing their offensive stars in more prominent roles. They were one knocked down pass from OT in this one so its not like they were not in it as is.
I thought the score flattered the U.S.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I thought Miller was terrible at least years tournament. He hasn't improved. No idea how he's on the team. There has to be better options.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The physicality was the difference. Canada had an ugly PP and the entire next line came out hitting. 4 hits in a row with one of them being Bahl on Brink. That was when the momentum turned IMO.

Took Canada a while to score, but it was good to see them use physicality to get settled in.

Two very good teams that should meet again.

I thought the game was pretty even the first half of the first period. The Canadians missed the net with 6 or 7 shots but had some good chances. The States just capitalized on their PP opportunities. But this shift was definitely the turning point. Lafreniere the teams best player came out and threw 2 big hits, McIsaac smoked someone behind the net and Bahl crushed Brink. I think that Canada was and is the better team, but that shift seemed to fire them up and make them think they can impose their will on this game. Thats the only team that can come close physically with Canada too. If I'm any of the Euopean teams, I'm pretty worried about what I saw out there today physically.

Well, Lafreniere is also better than Kakko and Hughes so...

Laf is to my eyes the best forward prospect since McDavid. His complete game at this age is as NHL ready as you can get, he’s also got a mean streak to him that I absolutely love, he’s a physical tank who can create havoc on the forecheck.

I think talent wise, Lafreniere is close with guys like Matthews and Eichel and I would say is the same tier of prospect as them. But I put him above just becaus of his motor. Eichel and Matthews you wont notice for whole games at a time (they might have a couple points but look like theyre floating out there) but Lafreniere is always doing something. If he isnt scoring hes setting someone up, if he isnt setting someone up hes killing someone on the forecheck.

He doesnt have the same shot as Matthews or the skating of Eichel but I think he has the best combo of the bunch because of his drive and motor

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I thought the game was pretty even the first half of the first period. The Canadians missed the net with 6 or 7 shots but had some good chances. The States just capitalized on their PP opportunities. But this shift was definitely the turning point. Lafreniere the teams best player came out and threw 2 big hits, McIsaac smoked someone behind the net and Bahl crushed Brink. I think that Canada was and is the better team, but that shift seemed to fire them up and make them think they can impose their will on this game. Thats the only team that can come close physically with Canada too. If I'm any of the Euopean teams, I'm pretty worried about what I saw out there today physically.

I think talent wise, Lafreniere is close with guys like Matthews and Eichel and I would say is the same tier of prospect as them. But I put him above just becaus of his motor. Eichel and Matthews you wont notice for whole games at a time (they might have a couple points but look like theyre floating out there) but Lafreniere is always doing something. If he isnt scoring hes setting someone up, if he isnt setting someone up hes killing someone on the forecheck.

He doesnt have the same shot as Matthews or the skating of Eichel but I think he has the best combo of the bunch because of his drive and motor
Lafreniere reminds me of Matthew Tkachuk with better skating, he's big, he hits, he japs and finds a way get points threw sheer determination. whoever gets this kid gets a beauty and someone who hates to loose...hope it's not the Oilers :sarcasm:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Far better motor and drive than both Matthews and Eichel. He’s also a substantially better playmaker than Matthews. His hockey sense is off the charts, he’s a playmaker first when you watch his game.

In terms of physical play, winning board battles, competing and being tough all over the ice, and ability on the forecheck smashing opponents Laf is in his own category and brings an element those other guys don’t. As in it’s not even close.

Like I said he’s the best prospect and most NHL ready since McDavid.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I thought Canada was a lot better 5 on 5 than the USA this game, but Canadian fans should not use this game to say their team is great 5 on 5. This US team has been abysmal 5 on 5 the last two games. If we don't score on the PP or Knight doesn't stand on his head, we can't compete with the big teams, unless the coach starts changing the lines.
I didn’t see any of the games before the round robin play started today but if what you say about the abysmal play of the US 5v5 is correct, welp - I guess the team can forget about medaling for the 5th year in a row...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Hayden has a great shot, which made Lafreniere the lead point getter so far. We have a number of standout forwards for sure, with many of these playing solid roles in the NHL one day. I think its premature to label anyone as the best player on this team as most tend to identify scoring with best, when a two way forward probably brings more to the table. From what I saw, neither team is winning this tournament. Go Canada Go!

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad