GDT: Game 4: Canada Vs USA | 1PM EST 7PM CET | Can 6 - 4 USA

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I don’t think those pint sized Yankee forwards liked getting hit by Bahl either.

They really became timid after we started smacking them around. Could be a reason why they weren’t playing.[/

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Man go check what a Yankee is. You’ve embarrassed yourself about three times now. Use Amercs or something.

I dont think he has. Anyone not from the States considers a Yankee to be an American. At worst you could argue its someone from the Northern states which is about 90% of the team. Definitely nothing embarrassing about calling a team of Americans yankees at all

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I dont think he has. Anyone not from the States considers a Yankee to be an American. At worst you could argue its someone from the Northern states which is about 90% of the team. Definitely nothing embarrassing about calling a team of Americans yankees at all
Wasn't aware that term was offensive at all, the most celebrated team in baseball is called that for gods sake.

Regardless, it just has to be a far tamer term then shitheads. We all know for sure that is a strong insult.

Reactions: newfy

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Deleted. I come from a different era.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Let's not let this victory go to our collective heads. We played well and, unlike some recent years / drafts, we have some terrific players to choose from. Having said that, we could be out in the quarter's if our goaltending doesn't step up - it didn't last night.

More than this tournament, I hope Hockey Canada has turned the corner. This has not been a great decade for Canadian player production - certainly not as good as the last decade, and I'm hoping the tap will be turned on once again.

This draft looks good. Same with 2021. If the drafts pick up, we could string together some Gold Medal wins at the WJR's.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Let's not let this victory go to our collective heads. We played well and, unlike some recent years / drafts, we have some terrific players to choose from. Having said that, we could be out in the quarter's if our goaltending doesn't step up - it didn't last night.

More than this tournament, I hope Hockey Canada has turned the corner. This has not been a great decade for Canadian player production - certainly not as good as the last decade, and I'm hoping the tap will be turned on once again.

This draft looks good. Same with 2021. If the drafts pick up, we could string together some Gold Medal wins at the WJR's.

I disagree about goaltending. This is the rare 4 goal performance I was fine with seeing, goaltending-wise. My concern is defense, or more specifically a few defenders who looked ready to scramble in their zone.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I disagree about goaltending. This is the rare 4 goal performance I was fine with seeing, goaltending-wise. My concern is defense, or more specifically a few defenders who looked ready to scramble in their zone.
I'm less worried about the D because the talent is there and needs time to gel. Goaltending has haunted us for a decade so, in the back of my mind, it will always be a concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Robertson plays like Gallagher to me.

I gotta see more of him to get a clearer picture, but the reason I think he looked more like an Atkinson/Arvidsson than a Gallagher is where he was creating his offense. A lot of chances off the rush and release wicked shots from 15-20 feet out. I picture a "Gallagher-like" player as someone who makes his living literally 10 feet or closer to the net. I didn't really see that from Robertson yesterday.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is a bad look, Lafreniere is on a different level than anyone at this tourney. Age doesn’t matter when it comes to natural talent.

I don’t care what look you think my opinion gives off. I think you and some others are overreacting to a good performance, but that’s nothing new around here.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don’t care what look you think my opinion gives off. I think you and some others are overreacting to a good performance, but that’s nothing new around here.

Lafreniere has been known to the hockey world for a number of years and he’s come up huge on the international stage before at the Hlinka Gretzky.

The fact that you think people are saying he’s better than any American or any other player for that matter at this tournament based on one “good performance” is funny.

That opinion isn’t made just off one performance. I mean, the kid is well on his way to being the first back to back CHL Player of the Year awards since Crosby.

It’s plainly obvious how talented he is.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I gotta see more of him to get a clearer picture, but the reason I think he looked more like an Atkinson/Arvidsson than a Gallagher is where he was creating his offense. A lot of chances off the rush and release wicked shots from 15-20 feet out. I picture a "Gallagher-like" player as someone who makes his living literally 10 feet or closer to the net. I didn't really see that from Robertson yesterday.
Yeah he has to good of a shot for me to see the Gallagher comp. His relentless motor is Gallagher like but the shot is at another level entirely.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
The US forward group is plenty talented to create more than one ES goal, even against Canada. Unfortunately, our most talented forwards were either deployed like fourth liners, or with fourth liners.
They were probably just sheltered, Canada is not only better but they are much much stronger physically. It would suck for the USA to lose their 3 best players to injury in the first game of the tourney.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
They were probably just sheltered, Canada is not only better but they are much much stronger physically. It would suck for the USA to lose their 3 best players to injury in the first game of the tourney.
The funny thing is that this Canadian team barely squeaked by the worst coached US squad in the history of the tournament.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Lafreniere has been known to the hockey world for a number of years and he’s come up huge on the international stage before at the Hlinka Gretzky.

The fact that you think people are saying he’s better than any American or any other player for that matter at this tournament based on one “good performance” is funny.

That opinion isn’t made just off one performance. I mean, the kid is well on his way to being the first back to back CHL Player of the Year awards since Crosby.

It’s plainly obvious how talented he is.
Agreed Laf is for real, best player in the tournament.

I will say his late birthday gives him a bit of a leg up in terms of winning CHL player of the year, as many guys who win that end up in the pros the following year. Crosby winning it as a 16 & 17 year old is still tough to comprehend.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Wait, how am I supposed to get the US better coaches? You must have me confused for someone with that decision authority...
I didn't literally mean you can go out and get better coaches lol my point is basically saying you would have beat us with better coaching doesn't mean a damn thing. That is the equivalent of me saying we might of beaten the Bruins in the playoffs if we had better coaching. It doesn't matter.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The funny thing is that this Canadian team barely squeaked by the worst coached US squad in the history of the tournament.

It’s just a round robin game.

No need for hysterical defensive hyperbole.

The funny thing is that Canada had the worst PK I have ever seen at a WJC tournament. With a competently coached penalty kill the game wouldn’t have even been close.

See how easy and silly this is?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It’s just a round robin game.

No need for hysterical defensive hyperbole.

The funny thing is that Canada had the worst PK I have ever seen at a WJC tournament. With a competently coached penalty kill the game wouldn’t have even been close.

See how easy and silly this is?

That guy once claimed that the 2013 USA WJC team would beat the 2005 Canadian WJC team in a best of seven series. Needless to say there are some rose coloured glasses being used when watching team USA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad