GDT: Game 4: Canada Vs USA | 1PM EST 7PM CET | Can 6 - 4 USA

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
I'm confused as to how so many people can have this debate.

Ive never seen one of them, let alone both of them, play for their teams on a regular basis.

Am I that out of the loop? Because you'd think the whole board is watching both of them on a regular basis.

Unless we've got season seat holders.

Reactions: Quack

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
If the Canadian coaches want Bernard Docker on that first penalty kill unit they better talk to him about getting the puck out of the zone. Two of the US power play goals were scored by face off wins directly to him and he just made slow non scalant crappy passes to his partner behind the net. The US players put pressure on and took two goals off him. He has to wire the puck around the boards and at least try to get it out. Coaches need to do their job and tell him or hold him off the ice. Other than that it was a really entertaining game

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Imo it’s not so much that people are ****ting on Byfield as it that people are saying how much better Laf is. Byfield is great but Laf is next level. Laf is the clear number one but people want to try to debate that Byfield is better ... why? Because he’s younger? Because C > W? Laf is just way way better
It has everything to do with media build up. If there’s not a challenger for #1 overall it makes their job harder at draft time. They just have to put the word out there and the hype train has started. There’s a good portion of people commenting on this board that haven’t seen a live hockey game in two years that either they weren’t playing in or their children. I’ve watched Lafrenierre play live. I’ve watched Byfield on tv. I don’t comment on them because they are both game breaking talent. They are a joy to watch. Not my job to figure who I’d draft. I just enjoy the ride.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Quite remarkable to see high draftees like Zegras, Kaliyev, York, Turcotte with 10 minutes or less ice time over players that I am not very familiar with.

York didnt even need a shower after the game.

Good too see Cozens played a good game. He received so much negativity last season.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
I honestly though USA played as good as they could, offence was there they just couldn't stop Canada's stacked team.

They were playing Canada, not some average team.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I honestly though USA played as good as they could, offence was there they just couldn't stop Canada's stacked team.

They were playing Canada, not some average team.

They scored one goal at even strength, and created almost no chances at even strength.

That's what happens when you don't play your best players.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Canada is pretty stacked this year. Best team since the Dube/Steel group a few years ago that won gold. Other countries are in tough this year.

Reactions: snipes

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Most impressive thing about Lafreniere is how smart he is in every zone.

The awareness/anticipation he showed on the GWG and the ENG pretty much sum up who he is as a player.

GWG: He puts passive pressure on both Ds at the same time, takes an angle, forces a bad pass and intercepts it (great eye/hand coordination). Uses his great hands to beat the goalie.

ENG: Pressures his point, gets the puck, cuts center to open a lane, sweet pass to a forward in a better position, breakaway goal.

Oh and let's look at his pass on goal #4. Cuts in the slot, everyone thinks he will shoot, D collapses on him, sweet dish to for a one-timer.

Yes, he has incredible skills, but his hockey IQ, at 18, his through the roof. Small little moves to open space and selfless enough to make the smart play... all the time.

Saw him live a few times and his movement without the puck is as impressive.

His ceiling is prime Marian Hossa. Two-way beast who can score 90-100 points.

Reactions: snipes

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Byfield started on the 2nd line. He is being given the time and linemates to make an impact but didnt yesterday. It's not the end of the world but let's also not start making up excuses already.

I will give Byfield slack in a couple areas. The first one being it shis first tournament, that definitely makes a difference between the 2 of them. The other, larger line of slack I'll give him is hes a draft eligible player thats not even playing his natural position. Its definitely easier to move to the wing from center than the other way arund but that doesnt mean its necessarily easy and its a pretty big adjustment still. So hes playing an unnatural position with guys hes never played with on a different sized ice surface.

Yes, Lafreniere clearly seems ahead as a prospect but let Byfield play center and have him wheeling all over the ice at 100 mph and it might start to be more clear why people are making the comparisons between the 2

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
They scored one goal at even strength, and created almost no chances at even strength.

they scored one goal even strength against Canada*
one goal against Canada is like four against the other teams.

I'm sure there best players will get more time against the rest of the teams that wont be able to physically dominate them.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Lafreniere is also a draft-eligible player that just turned 18. There are some players in this tournament that are near 20 years old. I wouldn't even be sure Lafreniere is the best player on his own team, although he played the best today. Smith and Hayton are nearly 20 years old, and probably should be playing regular roles in the NHL this season. Look how Hughes and Kakko are struggling in the NHL this season. Not everyone comes into the NHL immediately and is as good as McDavid.

Lafreniere was named the best CHL player at 17 last year and only widened the gap this season.

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
they scored one goal even strength against Canada*
one goal against Canada is like four against the other teams.

I'm sure there best players will get more time against the rest of the teams that wont be able to physically dominate them.

The US forward group is plenty talented to create more than one ES goal, even against Canada. Unfortunately, our most talented forwards were either deployed like fourth liners, or with fourth liners.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

I don’t think those pint sized Yankee forwards liked getting hit by Bahl either.

They really became timid after we started smacking them around. Could be a reason why they weren’t playing.

Reactions: newfy

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Not sure if the Americans were crappy or if Canada is just that good. In theory, the Americans have a bunch of future superstars on their team, but they didn’t look like it today. Final score flattered USA

Also, Laf >>>>> Byfield
Those on paper stars for the USA gotta watch out. Thankfully the game is played on ice or Canada would be toast

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don’t think those pint sized Yankee forwards liked getting hit by Bahl either.

They really became timid after we started smacking them around. Could be a reason why they weren’t playing.

No reason to be ignorant, Turcotte and Zegras (who are hardly pint sized) weren't weren't playing because that's how the lines were set by our idiot coach.

Funny enough, our pint sized players played a lot, Robertson (5'9 162) played 19 minutes and had 1+1 in the 3rd period, sure seemed like he was intimidated. Caufield played 18 minutes as well, but was had bottom 6 grinders on his wing in Drury and Beecher.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I wish turcotte caufield and Zegras played more. USA thinks that is the reason they lost when in actuality these kids would have gotten caved 5v5 by Canada’s forecheck. York also looked like a lost little boy out there

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not sure if the Americans were crappy or if Canada is just that good. In theory, the Americans have a bunch of future superstars on their team, but they didn’t look like it today. Final score flattered USA

Also, Laf >>>>> Byfield

Coaching

Those on paper stars for the USA gotta watch out. Thankfully the game is played on ice or Canada would be toast

In this case, the game was played on the bench or with 4th liners for our stars players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad