GDT: Game 4: Buffalo Sabres @ Arizona Coyotes | 10/13/18 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | Welcome to the Bliss

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If you wager money that the Coyotes will go 0-7-0 in their next 7 games you could win a decent chunk if it actually happens.

I was actually thinking it might be a good time to bet on the Yotes and hope that their shooting percentage being so low is clearly a fluke that will correct to the mean in the short term.

For that to happen, they’d need to score a lot of goals soon. I’m sure you’d get great returns on both the money line and the puck line, if it works out.

The Yotes have to be massive underdogs on the moneyline and the puck line is probably heavily skewed to the under. Take the Yotes and the over every one of the next six games, and if all they do is correct their shooting percentage to league average, you’ll likely make a killing.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I'm really tired of all the "firsts" this team has allowed, given etc. for so many years now and last night they came in three's. Dahin's first NHL goal, Skinner's first points of the season, and lastly Ullmark's first NHL shutout, three in one game and it's about as predictable as that feeling you get that our opponent is going to score within the last minute of a period.

Last nights performance was the worst of the season and it was not from a lack of effort (for the most part), it's because of stupid effort. As an example there is not much reason to hate on Demers for the first goal, as both defenders were attempting to make a blueline stand. Demers got beat by an offensively skilled player in Skinner and then Richardson was outplayed by an eighteen year old on the rebound. point is that there is plenty of shit that can happen and we will see shit happen with the more aggressive style of play.

We did have secondary scoring chances around the net and could not capitalize, at some point we will. It is however extremely frustrating to see points in the game where the hockey gods are affording us puck luck and we can't honor them with success. It's all difficult to watch as this is one of the best teams we've had in years, but sans any highly effective game planning night in and night out, I don't know that this team is built well enough to compete in this league yet. Say what you want, but we don't really know what we have until Dvo and Chucky are back and that's the way it goes for a cash strapped franchise.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Say what you want, but we don't really know what we have until Dvo and Chucky are back and that's the way it goes for a cash strapped franchise.
Are you watching the same games I am? To say Chucky and Dvo are going to deliver us from this dumpster fire is wildly insane.

We are fast, but when you can't put the puck on net, or have some semblance of a PP, it adds up to 2 goals in 160+ shots. Did I mention NO goals scored at home? Whatever you are using, I want some of it...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Too early for 2019 draft thread? I gotta say Dylan Cozens and Kirby Dach look to be exceptional C’s. And they aren’t even ranked by most experts in the top 2.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
We play at MIN, CHI, WPG, and CBJ. Then are home for VAN, TBL, and OTT. I don't see the win. All of those teams can score. We won't be able to match it.

Last season in October we managed 3 points. I doubt we'll match that October total this season. They are going to be happy to just score goals let alone win.

Stars, Ducks and Buffalo are rated 8th, 9th and 14th on dropyourgloves, where they rank teams based on above .500. That's very much above average. And both Stars and Ducks looks underrated IMHO. Buffalo a bit over, but they came in from a trashing, and we now how that often ends. So I say the opposition has been above average. Goals against is fine. It's just that pesky goal-scoring... :ha:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Too early for 2019 draft thread? I gotta say Dylan Cozens and Kirby Dach look to be exceptional C’s. And they aren’t even ranked by most experts in the top 2.

I think we have one, it's a couple pages back.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Are you watching the same games I am? To say Chucky and Dvo are going to deliver us from this dumpster fire is wildly insane.

We are fast, but when you can't put the puck on net, or have some semblance of a PP, it adds up to 2 goals in 160+ shots. Did I mention NO goals scored at home? Whatever you are using, I want some of it...
Yes, I'm at every home game and watch every away game on television and am painfully aware of what is going on. Did you miss the "cash strapped" portion of my post? I Sir, am using logic, as opposed to emotion.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Yes, I'm at every home game and watch every away game on television and am painfully aware of what is going on. Did you miss the "cash strapped" portion of my post? I Sir, am using logic, as opposed to emotion.
No emotion from me, I took "cash strapped" out of the equation 10+ years ago. This team has been a low budget team from year one. That's why I don't use that excuse anymore...

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
No emotion from me, I took "cash strapped" out of the equation 10+ years ago. This team has been a low budget team from year one. That's why I don't use that excuse anymore...
So (assuming you ever used any) when did you take logic out? Year one, or ten+ years ago?

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
So (assuming you ever used any) when did you take logic out? Year one, or ten+ years ago?
Logic would be using as an excuse the miss-steps of a revenue deficient organization. I'm just not putting a lot of energy into hoping a return of a couple of players is going to magically change the fortunes of this year's team, I hope I'm wrong, but from what I've witnessed, the pattern has been set, hopefully not in stone.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
14 long pages, but I gather that watching the game would have been more painful.

How is it possible that we're worse than last season?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Logic would be using as an excuse the miss-steps of a revenue deficient organization. I'm just not putting a lot of energy into hoping a return of a couple of players is going to magically change the fortunes of this year's team, I hope I'm wrong, but from what I've witnessed, the pattern has been set, hopefully not in stone.
Neither am I and if you re-read my original (rather harmless) post, that you chose to attack (without being overly emotional this time) you will see that I never claimed two Players were going to "magically change the fortunes of this years team." In fact what I said was that we don't really know what this team is at this point, without those pieces. Point being we don't have depth which is yet another casualty of being cash strapped.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
14 long pages, but I gather that watching the game would have been more painful.

How is it possible that we're worse than last season?
Watching was painful. Did not read much here, knew that would most likely be worse.

I don't know if this team is worse yet, or not. They are struggling to put it al, together and obviously struggling to finish.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
First game that I hadn't really been able to watch a lot of. We lack the goal-scorer's ability to simply find the net over and over again offensively. Defensively, we still have some missteps, but the issue is that the missteps become back-breakers as we can't keep certain mistakes out of the net. Our transition game in both directions is pretty fine.

I think that is what has been the most maddening - the puck is moving around, we are getting a lot of scoring chances, and yet, we can't string together goals and wins. Consider where we were in the past where we may not have always been the greatest puck-movers, but we made the most of each opportunity in scoring and winning games that we need.

We still aren't as far off as we think, but we just need more consistent goal-scoring. We couldn't get chances in prior years, now the chances are there. Perlini needs to start turning into the sniper that he can be. Galchenyuk will help being back, but everything is there so far. We are continuously getting good chances and decent enough shot opportunities. We just haven't found the twine enough. Spend a practice just practicing getting the puck up on our shots, as I know that we have had at least 1 goal per game that we lost b/c we didn't elevate the puck quite enough on tips, deflections, or shots in close. The puck also isn't getting through very well, so there is such a thing as being too much of a screen so that you can't avoid your own team's shots.

Maybe had I watched the game, I might be thinking otherwise. But I have seen enough to be encouraged and still think that we are about a 100 point team, provided things start to revert to the mean and we start to achieve our normal number of goals while maintaining the same level of play.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Neither am I and if you re-read my original (rather harmless) post, that you chose to attack (without being overly emotional this time) you will see that I never claimed two Players were going to "magically change the fortunes of this years team." In fact what I said was that we don't really know what this team is at this point, without those pieces. Point being we don't have depth which is yet another casualty of being cash strapped.
I've re-read your post a couple of times, nice observations, I will say if you thought I was attacking you, you are gravely mistaken. The cash strapped ideology is something we live with as Coyote's fans. I try hard not to use it as an explanation/excuse of the poor play of a team. If you want to use it, that's your prerogative. Call it bad "puck-luck," or poor coaching, or just a below average team, I just don't see where "added" depth is changing a lot of what I've seen so far.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think that is what has been the most maddening - the puck is moving around, we are getting a lot of scoring chances, and yet, we can't string together goals and wins. Consider where we were in the past where we may not have always been the greatest puck-movers, but we made the most of each opportunity in scoring and winning games that we need.

Well that's sort of the problem here. We need a functioning hockey team if we're not tanking. If they scored a goal or two in a few of these losses nobody would care much that they are 1-3. But it's just yet another unbelievable thing that happens to this stupid franchise.
The fact that they continue to fail despite not looking outright terrible is actually more discouraging to me than if they had just stunk it up for 4 games.

There's not even a good individual story to point to like last season with Keller. Sure Strome has been kinda good but if he were a vet we wouldn't be thinking all that highly of what he's doing either.

At least we still have interest...

Won't be much longer. Another shutout and you could put a fork in a lot of that early season activity.
Can't imagine what effect it's having on casuals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad