GDT: Game 4: Buffalo Sabres @ Arizona Coyotes | 10/13/18 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | Welcome to the Bliss

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We have no choice but to wait. Who do we trade? What do we get back? It's only been 5 games.
Ideally we’d trade for a skilled offensive player that can actually generate a bunch of offense. Someone like William Nylander who is just sitting there collecting dust. Unfortunately, we’re too broke to afford him.

Instead, we should trade for someone who can crash the net, screen the goalie, and help make some of these bazillion low percentage shots maybe translate into some goals. Someone like Nick Ritchie who is just sitting there collecting dust.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This team is essentially built heavily around 3 guys who are known for taking nights off: Stepan, Goligoski, Demers. That was before they even got here. I don't think you achieve consistency until you replace the latter two with players that want to win.

There's no real trade ammo to do anything and certainly no budget. They are just going to wait to get healthy and that will be unbelievably painful.
What. It's built around Keller, OEL, Raanta and unfortunately, Stepan.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He’s on the goddamned 4th line 5v5.

Cousins is 5th in 5v5 TOI among F this season
Grabner is 10th

We have bad coaches.
Wow. Didn't take you guys long to turn on RT. Let's chill a bit and wait until the 10 game mark. I don't like using injuries as an excuse, but we have two top six forwards injured, and their spots are taken by players like Cousins and Kempe.

Reactions: kbay

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wow. Didn't take you guys long to turn on RT. Let's chill a bit and wait until the 10 game mark. I don't like using injuries as an excuse, but we have two top six forwards injured, and their spots are taken by players like Cousins and Kempe.
Why are their spots taken by Cousins? He’s a 4th liner. Why isn’t a better player like Grabner given that spot?

Reactions: knich

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Unprecedented start here. I cant recall a team starting like this.

Surely with this many shots we would score some goals? Some should find there way in but upon closer examination it's easier to see why. Most of all the shots are 20+ feet out. Did we see one rebound and a second shot? I cant recall. At some point some of those will bounce off a body and go in but that's not going to get you many goals. Anybody see any scrambles around the opposing goalie for a loose puck. Just a few.
That's how you put a lot of pucks to the net and don't score.
The Coyotes really only have one true power forward with skill. And that's fisher. And he's not that great. But we got a ton of perimeter skill players who are fancy but don't like contact. You can thank our analytics GM for that. He's done an outstanding job in many ways but big failure in knowing how to put together a balanced team.
And our D? Do you think it's their great play that keeps the shot down? Nope. It's our puck possession that does that. But game after game we have very bad breakdowns and the inability to clear the front of the net. We never have breakaways, the opposing team has clear cut chances every game. Hence the losses.
Really pleased with Strome's game. You are seeing what confidence can do for a kid. So happy for him.
Good post. I have been complaining about the shot selection from game one and got flamed. I thought last night was better, but we need more net presence. Not happy with our D play, at all. IF RT has any balls, he should bench Demers or Gogo in hopes of waking them up.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Ideally we’d trade for a skilled offensive player that can actually generate a bunch of offense. Someone like William Nylander who is just sitting there collecting dust. Unfortunately, we’re too broke to afford him.

Nylander is the type of player I'd love to see them make an offer for. Be the owners legitimate paupers or trying to masquerade as such they never make a play for player of Nylander's skill. It would be brutal if they moved to Houston and then signed Nylander.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You guys should hear yourselves. This is not the start we all wanted but with two top six forwards out due to injury, it's tough. No excuses though, we have to work harder, and some of the vets have to play better. No use talking about Nylander, he won't be coming here. All improvement will come within.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
You guys should hear yourselves. This is not the start we all wanted but with two top six forwards out due to injury, it's tough. No excuses though, we have to work harder, and some of the vets have to play better. No use talking about Nylander, he won't be coming here. All improvement will come within.

No one thinks Nylander is coming to Arizona. It's Sunday morning board banter.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Ok, people.

I do want to say one thing: This team has had a hard schedule. The Stars looks like stars this season. Two games agains the Ducks, one win, one win of two against a really high-end team like the Ducks are really not bad at all.

Buffalo arrived after a bad thrashing, and got their super-high picks moving, for a change.

This has been a rough start. But the opponents has been stars, high-end, high-end, and stacked. Really.

Reactions: kbay

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Ok, people.

I do want to say one thing: This team has had a hard schedule. The Stars looks like stars this season. Two games agains the Ducks, one win, one win of two against a really high-end team like the Ducks are really not bad at all.

Buffalo arrived after a bad thrashing, and got their super-high picks moving, for a change.

This has been a rough start. But the opponents has been stars, high-end, high-end, and stacked. Really.

Only other team that doesn’t have high end, high skill players is Detroit. That means we can get smoked by 29 other teams all the time and it’s okay because they’re more skilled than us.

This is not an excuse any longer. The coyotes look like shit offensively. Its okay to say it. They need to find a way to correct their shot selection. Dvo and Chucky are not going to put up 100 goals between each other

Reactions: Murf

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Only other team that doesn’t have high end, high skill players is Detroit. That means we can get smoked by 29 other teams all the time and it’s okay because they’re more skilled than us.

This is not an excuse any longer. The coyotes look like **** offensively. Its okay to say it. They need to find a way to correct their shot selection. Dvo and Chucky are not going to put up 100 goals between each other

I agree you can read it that way. But the only problem is the lack of a goal-scorer. This is a massive problem. The team do not look horribly apart from this massive problem, though.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I agree you can read it that way. But the only problem is the lack of a goal-scorer. This is a massive problem. The team do not look horribly apart from this massive problem, though.

That was a massive problem before Galchenyuk went down. I said that they needed to make a trade because the goals would not come with the current line up. Teams can stack their best defensive players to neutralize Keller and we have nothing after that.

We need another scoring threat, not support and secondary players

Reactions: knich

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Ok, people.

We play at MIN, CHI, WPG, and CBJ. Then are home for VAN, TBL, and OTT. I don't see the win. All of those teams can score. We won't be able to match it.

Last season in October we managed 3 points. I doubt we'll match that October total this season. They are going to be happy to just score goals let alone win.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We play at MIN, CHI, WPG, and CBJ. Then are home for VAN, TBL, and OTT. I don't see the win. All of those teams can score. We won't be able to match it.

Last season in October we managed 3 points. I doubt we'll match that October total this season. They are going to be happy to just score goals let alone win.

If you wager money that the Coyotes will go 0-7-0 in their next 7 games you could win a decent chunk if it actually happens.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Well as frustrating as last night was, at least Tocc put more scores together on the top two lines AND actually gave them top lines minutes / opportunities. Baby steps but it's progress.

That, Strome playing better than anyone else on the roster and the talent we are still waiting to come back from injury has me feeling better about this team than I have in many years. I wasn't expecting playoffs this year anyway. Hopefully they can get healthy and figure things out soon so we can really see what we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00