Post-Game Talk: Game 4 - B's strike OILers - BRUINS 4 Edmonton 1 F

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If Griz replaces anybody on the left side, I think it could be Moore. Krug is too good on the power play for him to sit. Moore seems like a solid but not exceptional player, whereas Griz is showing flashes of brilliance almost every game, plus being pretty solid on D.

I would be surprised if Moore sits.

He’s been everything the B’s expected. Has some size and has been physical, moves extremely well for that size, can kill penalties.

I’m not ready to say that Grizz can replace Krug, but he had two assists last night on the PP and looked real good. If the development of Grizz and UV continues, I would not be surprised if the B’s don’t re-sign Krug after next season.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Let me preface what I’m about to say by making two things completely clear.

1) I’m a total Heinen fanboy.

2) Cassidy has done a fantastic job overall with the B’s since he was hired.

That said, I am not a fan of the way he’s been handling Heinen so far this year.

Inserts him on the second line for the first game and leaves him there for all of two periods, even though he wasn’t bad and Krejci was sleepwalking the entire game. Twice now, after Heinen has been called for a questionable stick infraction, Cassidy has benched him. I’m getting a Sobotka v2.0 vibe from the situation right now and that’s not good as it was completely botched by Clode.

All players make mistakes. Young ones sometimes make more of them. I thought that Heinen was excellent last night in the NZ. He made two/three strong defensive plays that resulted in turnovers, calmly gained possession, and dished the puck to an open guy. He had a body or a stick in passing lanes all game. When a player does that, you are bound to get the occasional stick infraction. I thought the call was questionable. McDavid tried to cut back at the last minute, basically skated into Heinen’s stick, and then clamped down and sold it.

My greater point is that it bugs the **** out of me when coaches employ a double standard when it comes to vets and rookies as far as sitting goes (and not just Heinen). Cassidy has no issue benching Heinen or having Donato on the 9th floor, which is fine if warranted, but do the same for the vets.

Krejci was not good in the first few games, but gets a pass. Backes has made some bad plays, but gets rolled out there every shift. Marchand was very lackadaisical throughout the preseason and in game 1. Chara has made some pretty bad plays this year, including bad pinches and not being able to cover McDavid last night (a common issue for D I guess).

I realize these guys are team leaders and veterans, but I have always felt that they should be held to the same standards as the rookies.

I know it won’t happen, but wanted to get that off my chest :laugh:

Agreed...this was my issue with the way Claude handled Spooner and Koko. It infuriated me to no end and why I still bring up Spooner and Koko today. It was a disaster handling of 2 very promising assets.

Krejci did deserve some press box time as does Backes now. Coaches need to grow some Gritty (balls). lol

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I would be surprised if Moore sits.

He’s been everything the B’s expected. Has some size and has been physical, moves extremely well for that size, can kill penalties.

I’m not ready to say that Grizz can replace Krug, but he had two assists last night on the PP and looked real good. If the development of Grizz and UV continues, I would not be surprised if the B’s don’t re-sign Krug after next season.
I love Krug, but it does appear that he likely won't be here forever. I'm really curious how the D will shake out when he gets back, I hope Grizz doesn't sit but it will be a really tough decision for Cassidy. Krug could be used to address the one thing this team is really lacking which is center depth, I know we haven't got the RW situation with Krejci figured out but I am inclined to believe one of the young wingers we have in the system can win the spot at some point this year, I don't love Backes at 3C though and I'm not sure I want to rely solely on Krejci's line for secondary scoring.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I love Krug, but it does appear that he likely won't be here forever. I'm really curious how the D will shake out when he gets back, I hope Grizz doesn't sit but it will be a really tough decision for Cassidy. Krug could be used to address the one thing this team is really lacking which is center depth, I know we haven't got the RW situation with Krejci figured out but I am inclined to believe one of the young wingers we have in the system can win the spot at some point this year, I don't love Backes at 3C though and I'm not sure I want to rely solely on Krejci's line for secondary scoring.

Love Krug but he certainly can be used for a very good player. Bruins have so many options now to fill the Krug role. Gryz is proving to be very effective and replacement.

Reactions: Tampbear

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I really think that Krug is underrated. He always gets brought up in trade talks, but I think that this is a much, much worse team without him.

He scored FIFTY NINE points last year. FIFTY NINE. And he missed 6 games... 51 points the year before. I don't think you'd get what he's worth on the market, and his value is really high for us. I love Gryz, but he is not Krug. I think that trading Krug would be a huge mistake. We have him at a really good deal for this year and next year. If we're going to trade him I wait until a 1st line guy is available.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
This may not be a popular opinion, but I don't think Nordstrom is a 2nd liner. He had some good plays, decent goal, is hard working, etc... but he doesn't seem to have a very high hockey IQ, any specific skills that stand out, and despite being a hard worker, seems to lose a lot of puck battles. 3rd line material at best, IMO... definitely no place on our top 2 lines if this team is a serious competitor.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

That said, I am not a fan of the way he’s been handling Heinen so far this year.

Inserts him on the second line for the first game and leaves him there for all of two periods, even though he wasn’t bad and Krejci was sleepwalking the entire game. Twice now, after Heinen has been called for a questionable stick infraction, Cassidy has benched him. I’m getting a Sobotka v2.0 vibe from the situation right now and that’s not good as it was completely botched by Clode.

All players make mistakes. Young ones sometimes make more of them. I thought that Heinen was excellent last night in the NZ. He made two/three strong defensive plays that resulted in turnovers, calmly gained possession, and dished the puck to an open guy. He had a body or a stick in passing lanes all game. When a player does that, you are bound to get the occasional stick infraction. I thought the call was questionable. McDavid tried to cut back at the last minute, basically skated into Heinen’s stick, and then clamped down and sold it.

My greater point is that it bugs the **** out of me when coaches employ a double standard when it comes to vets and rookies as far as sitting goes (and not just Heinen). Cassidy has no issue benching Heinen or having Donato on the 9th floor, which is fine if warranted, but do the same for the vets.

Krejci was not good in the first few games, but gets a pass. Backes has made some bad plays, but gets rolled out there every shift. Marchand was very lackadaisical throughout the preseason and in game 1. Chara has made some pretty bad plays this year, including bad pinches and not being able to cover McDavid last night (a common issue for D I guess).

I realize these guys are team leaders and veterans, but I have always felt that they should be held to the same standards as the rookies.

Glory. When they do that with kids - it has a lot more to do with using it as a teaching moment. Same thing happened to the vets when they were entering the league. The difference is that the vets will already know what they did wrong as it's been drilled home a million times, while the kid needs those things settled before they become bad habits as it gets harder to get out of. If a vet has bad habits, sitting him a few shifts isn't going to make a lick of difference - as they already know what they should be doing. The kids need to be taught to rein it in sometimes or what is or isn't acceptable at the NHL love.
That's been going on with every coach at every level forever. - and goes a long way into helping these kids have long successful careers.

I come down on the other side of the fence with you on this one - as I agree with giving the kids a much shorter leash. Doesn't matter to me as much for the single game, or even the week, but that they will develop into a better player.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Grizz has been great the past 3 games. What a slippery dude with the puck :laugh: I think he is going to be a regular for us for a long time. Last season he got called up because of injury and made the most of it. This season going in he was not a lock for regular minutes with the signing of John Moore. Krug gets hurt and Grizz is making the most of the opportunity, again. It will certainly give the team some tough decisions when Torey is back healthy, but if Grizz keeps on rolling, I don't see him sitting.

By the way, anyone else find it funny to watch him shoving on Looch in the blue paint last night? Looch just standing there and Grizz leaning into him trying to get him to budge :D He did a great job against the big guy all in all.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Agreed...this was my issue with the way Claude handled Spooner and Koko. It infuriated me to no end and why I still bring up Spooner and Koko today. It was a disaster handling of 2 very promising assets.

Krejci did deserve some press box time as does Backes now. Coaches need to grow some Gritty (balls). lol

Maybe the "assets" were the problem, not the handling of them. It isn't like those two are lighting the league on fire or anything...

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This may not be a popular opinion, but I don't think Nordstrom is a 2nd liner. He had some good plays, decent goal, is hard working, etc... but he doesn't seem to have a very high hockey IQ, any specific skills that stand out, and despite being a hard worker, seems to lose a lot of puck battles. 3rd line material at best, IMO... definitely no place on our top 2 lines if this team is a serious competitor.

Well I'd like to give him a few more games there to see whether this is true or not- anointing him our new 2nd line wing OR as a guy who has no business in the top 6 both seem a tad premature.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Did you watch the game last night? Two of those three “defensive liabilities” were very good in their own end last night. Grizz in particular was excellent.

It was obviously a tactic of EDM’s to try to get some big bodies on Grizz. Lucic was frequently matched up with him and I was surprised at how 48 was able to completely neutralize Looch on the rush. I’m sure there will be times when Grizz gets overpowered by big F’s...last night was not one of those times.
I did some, not the whole game(first period and 1/2 of third). I also watched play offs year after year after year. Regular season - Krug is your super star PP anchoring d-man, come play offs - he is coughing up pucks left and right.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I really think that Krug is underrated. He always gets brought up in trade talks, but I think that this is a much, much worse team without him.

He scored FIFTY NINE points last year. FIFTY NINE. And he missed 6 games... 51 points the year before. I don't think you'd get what he's worth on the market, and his value is really high for us. I love Gryz, but he is not Krug. I think that trading Krug would be a huge mistake. We have him at a really good deal for this year and next year. If we're going to trade him I wait until a 1st line guy is available.
The team would miss Krug, but I feel more comfortable with the D we have outside of him than the forward group as currently constructed. Krug is being talked about in trade not because we underrate him but because we see the value he holds. Krug is probably the only high value player that could be moved.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Maybe the "assets" were the problem, not the handling of them. It isn't like those two are lighting the league on fire or anything...

The issue was he destroyed their confidence. They completely lost it under Claude. You can see it and to make matters worse Claude made it public in the papers. They played scared the entire time. It was a brutal to watch and brutal way of handling assets. Yes some of it lies on the player however I lay most blame on the coach for not coaching. So glad Boston shipped him out. You have know idea.

A reminder - Koko excelled under Cassidy in Providence. It's a dam shame Claude wasn't sent packing a year earlier.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH

Completely agree on all this.. heinen is one of those guys that i root for each game... that being said.. hes not moving his feet .. all of his penalties have been reaching with the stick with his feet stuck in mud.. he needs a confidence boost, and thats where i have a problem with cassidy benching him.. dont just keep knocking him down trying to get him to change , boost him up butch! if hes going to give the third line this low of minutes then why not put heinen at center. i think him being more involved with the puck will only bring along his game that much faster.. such a smart player

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't want the 2018-19 version of David Krejci to be dragging down the greatness that is Pasta.

Your not creating two strong pairs by dropping Pasta, because one of those two pairs contains David Krejci.

He looks like a shadow of what he used to be IMO.

Krejci is still the Bruins 4th best forward. By a fair amount.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yep, he often starts things up, then suddenly turns back towards our goalie, makes another quick turn, starts again with forechecker long gone on the other side.

Very confident with the puck. Great skating style, love watching him. He's made for this new faster and more skilled league style, trend of smaller and lighter but faster forwards entering every year certainly works for him; yes he's had his problems in the po last year, not yesterday.

Big moment for me was when he and Lucic went behind the net together and despite Lucic making contact... it was still Gryz who came away with the puck.

edit: and this wasn't on the forecheck, this was from stationary in-zone coverage.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

He isn't underrated at all by folk here. It's the bruins are loaded with very promising Krugs. Get something for Krug to help the team's offence. He will garnish something pretty darn good.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He isn't underrated at all by folk here. It's the bruins are loaded with very promising Krugs. Get something for Krug to help the team's offence. He will garnish something pretty darn good.

I like Krug a lot, but if Grizz can put up 40-45 points from the Blue line (Not saying he can or will, but IF) then it is worth the bit of production loss to move Krug for a really solid asset, like a Panarin or whomever. I don't know that we are clear yet whether or not Krug's points and PP quarterbacking can be even mostly replaced right now by either Grizz or McAvoy. I'd prefer not to move Krug this season for that reason alone barring some surprise and sustained emergence of a young D-man that settles the question.

Reactions: Blowfish

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Glory. When they do that with kids - it has a lot more to do with using it as a teaching moment. Same thing happened to the vets when they were entering the league. The difference is that the vets will already know what they did wrong as it's been drilled home a million times, while the kid needs those things settled before they become bad habits as it gets harder to get out of. If a vet has bad habits, sitting him a few shifts isn't going to make a lick of difference - as they already know what they should be doing. The kids need to be taught to rein it in sometimes or what is or isn't acceptable at the NHL love.
That's been going on with every coach at every level forever. - and goes a long way into helping these kids have long successful careers.

I come down on the other side of the fence with you on this one - as I agree with giving the kids a much shorter leash. Doesn't matter to me as much for the single game, or even the week, but that they will develop into a better player.

I hear you, but these kids at age 20-23 have been playing hockey for 15+ years and the most recent ones at high levels (D1 NCAA, Junior, etc). I’m not sure that benching a young guy is any more of a teaching moment for them than it would be a veteran. Actually, if you bench a vet, you are probably much more likely to get their attention than a rookie :laugh:

Heinen and Donato seem like pretty heady players. I’m pretty sure that if you take them aside and explain what they are doing wrong, they will get it without the benching. I’m more in favor of sitting a guy for a whole game and having them watch from the 9th floor than doing it in game (unless it’s something egregious). Doing it that way is a “teaching moment”. Benching a guy in game for a minor penalty they already feel bad about it kind of pointless imo.

On the first EDM goal last night, Bergeron had the puck on his stick and lost it, allowing McJesus to score. On that same play, Chara got caught flat-footed and out of position. I’m sure they knew what they did wrong and there was no point in benching them. Do you think that Heinen, Donato, Bjork, DeBrusk wouldn’t have known and should see the pine?

It’s a dumb double standard.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I like Krug a lot, but if Grizz can put up 40-45 points from the Blue line (Not saying he can or will, but IF) then it is worth the bit of production loss to move Krug for a really solid asset, like a Panarin or whomever. I don't know that we are clear yet whether or not Krug's points and PP quarterbacking can be even mostly replaced right now by either Grizz or McAvoy. I'd prefer not to move Krug this season for that reason alone barring some surprise and sustained emergence of a young D-man that settles the question.

I think Krug is underrated around here. And some of his playoff troubles are from him trying to do too much because the team doesn't have enough scoring after the 1st line.

I also think that they can better use his cap dollars on his next contract elsewhere. Like on improving the scoring after the 1st line.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I keep Krug and get rid of Grizz, hopefully Grizz can light up the scoreboard until Krug gets back to increase his value.

This team badly needs secondary scoring and Grizz + might get something, I would do anything for Panarin.

Reactions: Jdavidev

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I keep Krug and get rid of Grizz, hopefully Grizz can light up the scoreboard until Krug gets back to increase his value.

This team badly needs secondary scoring and Grizz + might get something, I would do anything for Panarin.

one of Cehlarik/Heinen/Donato and Krug for a signed Panarin? I would be ok with that. Or is that too little/too much? I haven't watched much of Panarin. I know he scores goals thats about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad