Post-Game Talk: Game 4 - B's strike OILers - BRUINS 4 Edmonton 1 F

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
what we need to do is get rid of Backes (pretty impossible) and get a good 2nd line wing. I would gladly dish Krug for that wing, if there are takers. Having Krug, Macavoy and Grzelcyk on the same team is such a defensive liability, that one of them must go.

Reactions: Blowfish

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Three in a row in still three in a row when you get down to it.

Quite frankly, i'd be way more concerned if they'd LOST one or two (or all three) of these past few games. You gotta take care of business and WIN the games that are absolutely winnable, no matter what. Harder games, if you can get a point out of them, that still matters.

Nordstrom, huh? Funny. You take a look at his stats and you wonder what they saw in him, but hey, maybe a shake up was needed. Maybe he just played on shit teams on the past, and playing with a guy like Krejci and with Jake elevates his game? Or maybe not. Either way i'd be intrigued to see it again on Saturday

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You don’t suppose that there’s a solution to the second line problem that DOESN'T involve Pastranak being taken off the first line?

Rick Nash?

Putting one of Donato, Heinen, Bjork, or Cehlarik in that RW spot and leaving them for more than one game or a couple of periods?

There might be a solution other than dropping Pasta down, but I’m pretty sure Nordstrom riding shotgun and forcing DeBrusk to play his off wing is NOT one of them. My point was, if they are willing to experiment with Nordstrom, why not try Pasta there? I honestly don’t care what they do, as long as the 2nd line is viable and produces before the playoffs, I’m good.

I just don’t think putting your three best offensive players on one line when you don’t have players with legit Top 6 offensive ability (to stock the 2nd line) is a good idea.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Grzelcyk was fenomenal. He has that amazing feel for 'distance' if that makes sense. He knows exactly how long he can wait with the puck before he makes a pass or skate out, he can really create space for himself.

For instance, he is waiting (slowly skating not standing still) in our zone somewhere around the points marks, when both teams change, opposing forechecker comes closer and he had that perfect timing when he starts moving his legs and jumps forward or lateral. But the point is, that he is dictating the distance and the pace at that very moment, he is in control. It almost feels like he waits a moment too long sometimes, to lure opponent in and then outsmarts him. He has that little, almost invisible, 'matrix' moment.

It doesn't show up on the scoreboard but he is very good at the entire process of starting things up. Again, little move to throw one of their players out, skate forward and make an outlet pass, that's his thing...and we are leaving his decent D game out of this. He was excellent yesterday.

Great find.

This post nails the love many of us have for Gryz...I can't think of anyone who plays/played like him. He has a very unique way about him.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
As David Krejci goes, so goes the 2nd line.

He played his best game of the season last night. He was doing his matrix thing, slowing the play down, creating passing lanes and his compete was much better as well. He made a couple of ill-advised passes when he was being pressured that put teammates in bad spots, but other than that he was excellent.

I wonder if Donato sitting was a much a message to Krejci as it was Donato? I thought Nordstrom was good, but I’m not ready to pencil him in as the 2nd line RW. There was a play in the first period that illustrates my issue with him in the Top 6. DeBrusk drove the net and zipped a low hard shot from the right circle. A shot like this is designed to force the goalie to give up a rebound to his right. The F2 is supposed to drive the net in that area to get the follow up chance. This is something that you teach Pee Wees and was pretty obvious. Instead of going to that area, Nordstrom went to the front of the net at the crease area and completely, far too deep to make a play. If there were 3 on the rush that would have been great as he drew the D to the front with him.

It’s a minor play, but tells me that he is a defensive player at heart. His goal was created by making a very strong defensive play in the NZ and then going in with 46 on a traditional 2 on 1. I’m happy that he and the line played well, but I don’t see him as a long term solution there.

Good post. I'm not sure Nordstrom did anything wrong last night...In fact he created opportunities for his line-mates. If his style continues to create opportunities and prevent goals he will stay on that 2nd line. For the first time in a long time I really enjoyed watching the 2nd line play with energy and puck pursuit. He may stick.

If he does stay on the 2nd line that leaves the 3rd line as the only unproductive red herring line. The line doesn't appear to have any chemistry, doesn't create any scoring opportunities and through 4 games haven't registered a single point. The battle there will soon become Heinen, Bjork, and Donato and big question marks regarding the center position. I would like to see Backes in out of line up with Heinen and Donato playing center. Call up Cehlarik. Bjork - Heinen/Donato - Cehlarik. That I see as a dangerous line that would give teams problems.

Reactions: BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
But I thought the season was over when they got smoked by the Caps in Game 1? And definitely waved the white flag by putting Nordstrom on the second line in Game 4.

We should all know by now Cassidy is three steps ahead of all of us.

And sadly we still have fans who can't enjoy the past three wins cuz 'Washington is blocking our path"

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Good post. I'm not sure Nordstrom did anything wrong last night...In fact he created opportunities for his line-mates. If his style continues to create opportunities and prevent goals he will stay on that 2nd line. For the first time in a long time I really enjoyed watching the 2nd line play with energy and puck pursuit. He may stick.

If he does stay on the 2nd line that leaves the 3rd line as the only unproductive red herring line. The line doesn't appear to have any chemistry, doesn't create any scoring opportunities and through 4 games haven't registered a single point. The battle there will soon become Heinen, Bjork, and Donato and big question marks regarding the center position. I would like to see Backes in out of line up with Heinen and Donato playing center. Call up Cehlarik. Bjork - Heinen/Donato - Cehlarik. That I see as a dangerous line that would give teams problems.

I think that it’s a little too early to pull the plug on the 3rd line. Bjork hasn’t seen much game action because of the injury and up until this point he never saw time with Backes or Heinen.

Personally, I feel that Heinen and Donato both have the skill set to play center, but the B’s are really weird about that position. They seem to have a very defined set of parameters when it comes to who can play there and who cannot?

I don’t see Cehlarik up unless there is an injury or Donato is sent down. Cassidy seems pretty locked in with that 4th line of 52-14-55 right now.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Rick Nash?

Putting one of Donato, Heinen, Bjork, or Cehlarik in that RW spot and leaving them for more than one game or a couple of periods?

There might be a solution other than dropping Pasta down, but I’m pretty sure Nordstrom riding shotgun and forcing DeBrusk to play his off wing is NOT one of them. My point was, if they are willing to experiment with Nordstrom, why not try Pasta there? I honestly don’t care what they do, as long as the 2nd line is viable and produces before the playoffs, I’m good.

I just don’t think putting your three best offensive players on one line when you don’t have players with legit Top 6 offensive ability (to stock the 2nd line) is a good idea.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::naughty:

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Good win boys. Man do the Oilers look slow. PC has that team looking way too heavy. Happy the boys stood up for each other last night as well.

I felt bad (and laughed a little) for and at Carlo. His eyes must have looked like saucers with the empty net. Too bad he missed it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
what we need to do is get rid of Backes (pretty impossible) and get a good 2nd line wing. I would gladly dish Krug for that wing, if there are takers. Having Krug, Macavoy and Grzelcyk on the same team is such a defensive liability, that one of them must go.

Did you watch the game last night? Two of those three “defensive liabilities” were very good in their own end last night. Grizz in particular was excellent.

It was obviously a tactic of EDM’s to try to get some big bodies on Grizz. Lucic was frequently matched up with him and I was surprised at how 48 was able to completely neutralize Looch on the rush. I’m sure there will be times when Grizz gets overpowered by big F’s...last night was not one of those times.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So wait, Krejci played with Nordstrom? I missed the game, had to watch it on my phone via nhl.com while I was working...was literally skulking around.

Sucks I missed out on Killer fighting! But it's good they're taking care of business against mediocre teams.

Gotta be honest, I know he's not the same man he once was, but I still miss Looch...

Krejci centered Nordstrom & DeBrusk. That line was flying all game long. I could not believe my eyes.

Reactions: Krupp and Blowfish

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Did you watch the game last night? Two of those three “defensive liabilities” were very good in their own end last night. Grizz in particular was excellent.

It was obviously a tactic of EDM’s to try to get some big bodies on Grizz. Lucic was frequently matched up with him and I was surprised at how 48 was able to completely neutralize Looch on the rush. I’m sure there will be times when Grizz gets overpowered by big F’s...last night was not one of those times.

Gryz has been so solid thus far that I wonder if it's still a guarantee that when Krug is ready he's the guy who comes out of the line-up. Kevan Miller to these eyes has been the worst D-man on the team so far, and that's not to say he's been terrible, but just a reflection of how solid the rest of the group have been for the most part. Moore has fit in well, Carlo looks like he's improved from last year, we know what Chara-McAvoy bring.

Nice problem to have with 7 good D-men competing for 6 line-up spots.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
bh_Oct122018_A060.jpg

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
If Griz replaces anybody on the left side, I think it could be Moore. Krug is too good on the power play for him to sit. Moore seems like a solid but not exceptional player, whereas Griz is showing flashes of brilliance almost every game, plus being pretty solid on D.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
This post nails the love many of us have for Gryz...I can't think of anyone who plays/played like him. He has a very unique way about him.

Yep, he often starts things up, then suddenly turns back towards our goalie, makes another quick turn, starts again with forechecker long gone on the other side.

Very confident with the puck. Great skating style, love watching him. He's made for this new faster and more skilled league style, trend of smaller and lighter but faster forwards entering every year certainly works for him; yes he's had his problems in the po last year, not yesterday.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
My takeaways from last night:
- Nordstrom may have been the best player on the Bruins last night. Tough on the puck, flying around and making great reads. Loved his game last night.
- DeBrusk isnt right - must have some injury with shoulder/wrist - just didnt look himself
- Kuraly really impressed me with his physicality and effort. Liked his game.
- Halak was solid. Defense made it pretty easy on him to see shots and keep Oilers to perimeter.
- Lucic is slower than ever although he did make a few good hits. He just isnt a fit with the speed on the other Oiler lines.
- McDavid is a freak.
- Draisaitl didnt do much for me considering how much he gets paid.
-I liked Caggiulas game - little agitator type guy
-Yamamoto was solid. Despite his size he gets in the muck.

Overall, Bruins are a better team. Oilers have too many holes. Bruins defense as a group played well.

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
If the d is still looking solid then I say trade Krug for a top 6 right winger. I know it won't be a popular opinion but if a younger cheaper player can replace him and the power play is still clicking at the rate it is now why not improve the top 6 if you can

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Let me preface what I’m about to say by making two things completely clear.

1) I’m a total Heinen fanboy.

2) Cassidy has done a fantastic job overall with the B’s since he was hired.

That said, I am not a fan of the way he’s been handling Heinen so far this year.

Inserts him on the second line for the first game and leaves him there for all of two periods, even though he wasn’t bad and Krejci was sleepwalking the entire game. Twice now, after Heinen has been called for a questionable stick infraction, Cassidy has benched him. I’m getting a Sobotka v2.0 vibe from the situation right now and that’s not good as it was completely botched by Clode.

All players make mistakes. Young ones sometimes make more of them. I thought that Heinen was excellent last night in the NZ. He made two/three strong defensive plays that resulted in turnovers, calmly gained possession, and dished the puck to an open guy. He had a body or a stick in passing lanes all game. When a player does that, you are bound to get the occasional stick infraction. I thought the call was questionable. McDavid tried to cut back at the last minute, basically skated into Heinen’s stick, and then clamped down and sold it.

My greater point is that it bugs the shit out of me when coaches employ a double standard when it comes to vets and rookies as far as sitting goes (and not just Heinen). Cassidy has no issue benching Heinen or having Donato on the 9th floor, which is fine if warranted, but do the same for the vets.

Krejci was not good in the first few games, but gets a pass. Backes has made some bad plays, but gets rolled out there every shift. Marchand was very lackadaisical throughout the preseason and in game 1. Chara has made some pretty bad plays this year, including bad pinches and not being able to cover McDavid last night (a common issue for D I guess).

I realize these guys are team leaders and veterans, but I have always felt that they should be held to the same standards as the rookies.

I know it won’t happen, but wanted to get that off my chest :laugh:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Was Nordstrom a star in the game? Maybe he has untapped scoring potential? I don't think he does but look what Tierney is doing for the sens and he was a throw in the karlsson deal. Maybe Nordstrom a free agent nobody wanted gets on fire .
I don't think so. Even his tip last night felt lucky. Like Riley Nash this makes it more intriguing if he needs to slot up but I don't see this guy ever scoring 40 points on the NHL.

Reactions: Cronuss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad