GDT: Game #4 | 10/17/14 | Detroit Red Wings at Toronto Maple Leafs | FSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Don't worry. Next year you'll have Babcock ;)

Nah, I'd still rater have Randy Marsh. His son Stan coached his peewee team to a 32-2 defeat against the Red Wings, which isn't too bad for a peewee team. Imagine if he had actual NHL talent :naughty::laugh:

Also, have fun with the Phaneuf-Franson pairing. You guys will get at least 1 breakaway per period with those two getting the load of the minutes. Trust me on this, they both have lead feet and probably make Jason Allison look like Mike Gartner.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
Good read. He looked great last night and was decent against Boston in the first game after giving up his first goal of the season on his first shot faced.

I thought this was interesting:

This is written as though its some outlandish idea that he's actually incorporating something like yoga/pilates into his workout. He's a goaltender, for christ's sake. Is it that the Western world views yoga/pilates as "unmanly" that makes this some sort of shock? All goaltenders should be incorporating yoga and/or pilates into their routine if they don't already. Its practically tailor-made for hockey goaltenders. Its a shame he's apparently just started doing this now. I used to have chronic rotator cuff and knee problems that would interrupt my running/lifting routines and now that I do yoga once or twice a week, I barely have any setbacks.

More fuel for the "fire the training staff" crowd. :sarcasm:

Again the training staff have absolutely nothing to do with any players off season strength and conditioning. Also to say he has incorporated anything into his workout you can assume is a gross oversimplification for the sale of something to put in the story because the way these guys workout is insanely technical.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 7 min7 minuuttia sitten
Mike Babcock: "I was telling everyone a couple days ago how fast we were & then I watched us play Boston & we were slow as molasses."

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 5 s5 sekuntia sitten
Babcock on why Wings were "schooled" by Bruins on Wednesday:

1 Lost face-offs
2 Turnovers in D zone
3 Long shifts

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Mike Babcock: "I was telling everyone a couple days ago how fast we were & then I watched us play Boston & we were slow as molasses."

1 Lost face-offs
2 Turnovers in D zone
3 Long shifts

Then take Joker out of the lineup...

kilgoretrout

Nov 16, 2011

1 Lost face-offs
2 Turnovers in D zone
3 Long shifts
...And giving Nyquist less icetime than Glendening (not to say he's been bad) 2/3 games probably hasn't helped either.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
As a Leaf fan, our lines look about right. You will probably have a field day with the Gardiner-Rielly pairing. Both of them are dynamic, but terrible together at even strength. I swear, Randy Marsh could coach better than Randy Carlyle :facepalm:
I would want Randy Marsh as the head coach just for the post-game interviews

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Wings offense comes alive and they score 4 goals

..but two of them are Nyquist so the team stays at a 1.00 Nyquist rate

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Kessel really is a very average looking dude. It's crazy that he is so fast, and such a good player.

5idum_zps840629d2.gif

but yeah, he's awesome. i wonder how much he would score if he had an actual #1 center on his side.

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
I think Weiss may be too far gone. Not sure even at this point if he is better than Andersson.

That's a pretty bold statement. I get that Andersson is playing slightly better than last year... But to completely write Weiss off?

Maybe I'm just in denial and still believe that he has SOME value. I hope he rebounds, man. I really do. We need ANY upgrade to Andersson.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Weiss really needs to be in for Joker, then put him on the 3rd line and Abby on the 4th
Babcock is finally playing the guys that deserve it the most and now everyone wants Weiss in for Andy because Weiss is paid more, basically? Andy is playing his heart out and that entire line has been fantastic these 3 games, doesn't send a great message to scratch anyone of them.

I say let Weiss sit until he either kills it so much in practice that he forces himself into the lineup, or until somone in the lineup plays bad or gets injured.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
The hate for Joker is indeed a bit much.

He's playing well on the 4th line. Time to give him at least some credit. That line is doing what they should, no need to split them up.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
The hate for Joker is indeed a bit much.

He's playing well on the 4th line. Time to give him at least some credit. That line is doing what they should, no need to split them up.

This.
If we really want to try Weiss, I would rather take Franzen out for few games.

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
This.
If we really want to try Weiss, I would rather take Franzen out for few games.

Other than last game's gaffes... Why would we take out Franzen when the guy is looking better and playing better than he has in years?

I'd rather crush Joker's confidence than crush Franzen's. Especially when he's been playing surprisingly good (especially for Franzen).

kilgoretrout

Nov 16, 2011
Babcock is finally playing the guys that deserve it the most and now everyone wants Weiss in for Andy because Weiss is paid more, basically? Andy is playing his heart out and that entire line has been fantastic these 3 games, doesn't send a great message to scratch anyone of them.

I say let Weiss sit until he either kills it so much in practice that he forces himself into the lineup, or until somone in the lineup plays bad or gets injured.

This is basically my view. I'm not saying Weiss is completely done, but he obviously hasn't forced Babcock's hand.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

It doesn't bug you even a little that Weiss was on the outside looking in before we ever took the ice this season?

That's what bugs me. If he was given a chance to play and failed then ok, good, we know what we have and there are better options. But he wasn't even given a real opportunity. And that entire process which is completely inconsistent player to player bugs the hell out of me.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Kessel really is a very average looking dude. It's crazy that he is so fast, and such a good player.

You wouldn't expect a guy in that sort of shape to be so fast. He's really taking away my one excuse for being slow.
This is basically my view. I'm not saying Weiss is completely done, but he obviously hasn't forced Babcock's hand.
How do you force his hand from the press box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad