Post-Game Talk: GAME #39: Canucks 0, Jets 1

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Didn't see the game, was at US vs Czech. Looked at box score 40 shots Canucks. 0 shots Erikson, forward with 2nd most ice time, over 19 minutes. WTF is going on Greene.

He spent the game in the corners retrieving pucks for Horvat-Virtanen when he wasn't busy on the backcheck..
Should check out how well his linemates did as a result.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I've been thru 4 full rebuilds/roster rotations/eras of Canuck teams...

Started as a fan as a child during the Smyl era... then the Linden era.. then the Naslund era, then the epic Sedin era... and now the beginning of 53/40... maybe/probably recency bias but I'm the most pumped about this one...

Edit.. ok probably not yet as high as the WCE era expectations... but let's see after Hughes joins..

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I’m honestly amazed it was this close but the Canucks played great, really outplayed the Jets. Still an impressive performance, Markstrom playing the best hockey of his career imo.

I agree but we played against their backup AND outshot them and still lose on a Luongo special. The rest of the game Marky was great just like Lou used to be. Frustrating...

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Thought both the reffing and announcing were gutless.

Refs had to call the stick in the face to Motte and the announcers had to be honest about a blatant penalty not being called. Typical CBC BS with the cover up for horrible officiating. One big difference b/w watching Americans announcers and Canadians ones is the degree of honesty. Announcers, say in the NFL, tell like it is. They look to be correct and honest. Canadian ones go the PC route and look not to offend. Like let's not offend the refs by calling them out, or let's not say that was a penalty since it might upset some fans. Everything is filtered to please. In the states, players get called out directly for poor play while up here you only look for the positives and criticize in only an oblique way. After all we have to be polite.

Team played an excellent game and should have won. Brossoit was very good and the Canucks couldn't bury chances but they controlled much of the game. I think it is hard to pick out individual Canucks as good b/c they played like a team and, in the end, it was a good team performance rather than a story of certain individuals carrying the team.

However some better performances included:

Markstrom - again provided top end goal tending. Maybe second best in this game but still Markstrom was solid

Virtanen - his development has been a key factor in the improvement of the team. His pressure created chances and he worked well both ways.

Tanev - just outstanding. Has over the last while with Edler faced the best in the League and IMO dominated in his end. They seem a true top pairing defense unit atm.

Biega - again I don't see how some people get in the lineup ahead of him. He played hard in his end and did good job at the offensive blue line. Said earlier teams will regret not taking him off waivers. One of the most underrated players on the team and in the League IMO

Edler - getting played to death. Very good stretch of play out of Edler. When you see the step up in play you don't want to be cynical but sometimes you think ....CONTRACT YEAR. And then you wonder if he would be as good with a new contract.

Horvat - thought he was going to get the goal but he did force Brossoit into some very good saves. Did a very good defensive job again on a top end line

Some I didn't like so much were

Eriksson - drifted back to the old Loui. Just a frustrating player. Looked awkward with the puck all game. Just can't sustain a high level game

Granlund - seems to fade when asked to raise game against superior teams.

Others

Motte - didn't get that much accomplished but you have to admire the try and the grit. His hustle along with people like Roussel and Gaudette are making a difference this year.

Pouliot - better effort.

Goldobin - nice setups here and there but generally weak on the puck.

Canucks remain on a pretty good run and guess you have to hope the Xmas break doesn't derail them. Team has worked hard and deserves a decent Xmas.

Actually DeBrusk said he had no idea how that wasn’t called.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Did anyone else notice the little deak EP made on the power play just inside the blueline roughly 5 minutes left of 2nd period? Even in a game like this, one of his worst of the season, he made two seemingly impossible plays in tight spaces that I honestly haven't seen any other player being capable of, ever. It’s actually breathtaking thinking about how good he could be in a couple of years.

Reactions: EP40

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
It’s pretty annoying seeing people down play Ehlers, Virtanen was excellent tonight and might have been the best player on the ice.

Ehlers has been a 60 point top 6 forward and one of the hottest players in the league right now, just stop.

The gap isn’t as big as it once was. Ehlers puts up 60+ points playing with arguably the best top 6 in the NHL. There are many attributes Virtanen has in his game that are tailor made for the playoffs; Ehlers was a no show in the playoffs last year.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Brutal, glad i missed this one. Nice to read your guys comments that pretty much everyone had a good game

Even if we dont make the playoffs this year i really like what this team is becoming (you know, minus the Eriksson Granlund Gudbranson Poo crapulence)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The ending of the game was kick in the nuts, especially after the refs didn't call that clear penalty against Motte in the 3rd...On the positive side, if they play like that every night,...more often than not, they're going to win.

Both goaltenders were excellent...Barring a slew of injuries, the rest of the season should be fun to watch.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Really, really impressed with this team’s effort tonight. Went toe to toe with the class of the west.

Might not have made the difference in a win or a loss, but that non-call on Chiarot is mind blowing. Direct shot to the face. This league and its awful officiating.

Lauren Brossoit played a hell of a game. The Canucks threw a lot of rubber and a lot of quality chances at him.

Markstrom did damn good for us as the less busy goaltender.

Probably the most entertained by a 1-0 loss I’ve ever been. The guys did good tonight.
The officiating in the last two games has been inconsistent....The blind side hit on Boeser in the TB game (I like hits in hockey, but they should abolish that blind side hit out of the game)...Last night, the obvious penalty by Chiarot,and the weak call on Tanev..What gives..?

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The gap isn’t as big as it once was. Ehlers puts up 60+ points playing with arguably the best top 6 in the NHL. There are many attributes Virtanen has in his game that are tailor made for the playoffs; Ehlers was a no show in the playoffs last year.

The gap isn’t as big as when Virtanen was a fourth liner sure but it’s still a very large gap. Let’s also not claim Virtanen to have any advantage in the playoffs until he proves it. So far on big stages he’s been disappointing.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The gap isn’t as big as when Virtanen was a fourth liner sure but it’s still a very large gap. Let’s also not claim Virtanen to have any advantage in the playoffs until he proves it. So far on big stages he’s been disappointing.

I feel like that's a bit unfair. He was a solid role player in Canada's gold medal win in his first WJC. Far from disappointing there.

His second was awful, though, granted - although our local media made that into far too big of an issue. He was hardly alone in being bad.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I feel like that's a bit unfair. He was a solid role player in Canada's gold medal win in his first WJC. Far from disappointing there.

His second was awful, though, granted - although our local media made that into far too big of an issue. He was hardly alone in being bad.

Sure but I think it’s more accurate than calling him a future playoff player. In junior and the AHL age didn’t raise his game either

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013

I would also point out that Ehlers' stats in last year's "no show" playoffs (7 points in 15 games) is the same PPG as Virtanen's current season pace (18 points in 39 games). Virtanen's current revelation of a season puts him on pace for Ehlers's 19 year old, 72 game rookie season totals.

I like Virtanen's progress this season and I think he's a useful player, but he and Ehlers really aren't close at all.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This is the teams first 3-4 day break since the start of the season... if they're worse on MORE rest then we have a problem. I expect Pettersson to come out flying v Edmonton on the 27th.

The rest should be beneficial, the game yesterday should also fire them up for the next few. Very impressed that Canucks are a middle pack team after a schedule from hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad