Post-Game Talk: GAME #39: Canucks 0, Jets 1

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Virtanen looks like he's taken another tangible step forward in his development the last 8-10 games.

So confident with the puck lately..
Making real plays with the puck now..

His danger level as an opponent is creeping upwards..

I was trying to watch Ehlers this game as well...

Nikolaj Ethers tonight... invisible; inducing drowsiness.

Virtanen continues his improvement.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Really, really impressed with this team’s effort tonight. Went toe to toe with the class of the west.

Might not have made the difference in a win or a loss, but that non-call on Chiarot is mind blowing. Direct shot to the face. This league and its awful officiating.

Lauren Brossoit played a hell of a game. The Canucks threw a lot of rubber and a lot of quality chances at him.

Markstrom did damn good for us as the less busy goaltender.

Probably the most entertained by a 1-0 loss I’ve ever been. The guys did good tonight.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It’s pretty annoying seeing people down play Ehlers, Virtanen was excellent tonight and might have been the best player on the ice.

Ehlers has been a 60 point top 6 forward and one of the hottest players in the league right now, just stop.
I've only read since I've posted and no one was playing down Ehlers' career.
Just the game he had tonight.

Reactions: Var

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
It’s pretty annoying seeing people down play Ehlers, Virtanen was excellent tonight and might have been the best player on the ice.

Ehlers has been a 60 point top 6 forward and one of the hottest players in the league right now, just stop.

In a close physical game who did you notice ?
I know Ehlers is skilled but on that team he has had linemates JV never did and truth is in a close hard fought game JV was better tonight.
Ehlers team needed another 3 blind mice show from officials to help .

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Great game. I echo the sentiment of it being the best 1-0 loss I've ever seen. Back and forth, end to end rushes, all lines playing pretty well, great goaltending on both sides. Would have liked to see OT, and would have liked the refs to have pulled their heads out, especially on the egregious non-call against Motte. Not a fan of the Schiefele hit either, nor of Kyprios' idiot analysis of it. (I know the word idiot is redundant when put next to the name Kyprios).

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Had the pleasure of watching this one live (thanks bro). As far as scoreless games go I don't think I've seen one so entertaining. Not only were we the better team, we were utterly dominant, and that's not an easy thing to be against a team that big and fast. And the contingent of Jets fans seem to coax a lot of life out of the nux diehards. One of my more vocal performances at a game this year :p

Cannot believe that miss on Motte. Literally gave the game away on that non-call. Should have been 5 and a game for a head shot....but same old f***ing story right? Selectively protect.....hope the refs union gets a chunk taken out of them from the incoming concussion lawsuit, because they are directly liable when they don't protect the f***ing players. We're unbelievably lucky Stech and Motte are gonna be okay (I'm hoping, since Motte took a few more shifts, that his bell wasn't rung too hard).

No real complaints with any players tonight, even my usual whipping posts played above my expectations, and it just seemed like most if not everyone was on tonight; Jake, Bo, Elias, Beagle, Motte, Roussel, even Granlund had very noticeably positive impacts tonight. Leivo, whose most definitive quality I've noticed is his good hand-eye, had some great chances on deflections. Loui and Gaudy were probably the worst forwards, though Adam didn't get a lot of touches or ice time to begin with, and even Eriksson was better than he usually is.

Really liked the Roussel-Beagle-Motte line, they had tons of energy, generated tons of turnovers, got a handful of chances, and showed a lot of pushback physically. I like Roussel on this team, craziness be damned.

The D was very good as a unit; Markstrom was absolutely brilliant, it seemed like his puckhandling was single-handedly rebuking the Jets forecheck, which loves their dump and chase. We transitioned well, and even Gudbranson's icings seemed more unlucky than deserved. Hutton had a missed read or two but his physicality was quite the noticeable addition to his kit tonight. Pouliot was good, Tanev, Edler, and even Biega were good. Felt like Jets had two possession shifts the entire game. They got completely run over.

Boeser seems like his release isn't as quick, and I don't think it's a groin issue since his skating has been as good as it's ever been. Hopefully he's just second guessing himself since teams are keying in on him more this season. But he took an awkward spill in the third that made me think something wasn't quite right. Hope to god it's not a wrist issue. His playmaking remains above average, so it's tough to say. Goldy and Boeser were frustrated tonight but they channeled it in the right direction, generating some great chances in the 3rd.

It frustrates me that a guy like Wheeler can go a whole game having his cross-seam passes completely shut off but he just keeps forcing it through till it works. I'd love to see him play a game as a rookie like he did tonight and not get benched. He was awful with his playmaking all night, but still generated two quality chances and the GWG. Think Goldy can take a lesson from that.

All in all the loss left me salty but it was an entertaining experience and a great omen for this team going forward. We've shown, several times, that the best teams in the league never get a free pass against us.

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Just want to thank you Canucks fans for your hospitality. Was sitting in section 101 with my parents and three brothers, couldn’t have asked for a friendlier group around us.

Will be sure to return the favour to the many Nucks fans at Bell MTS Place for Winnipeg-Vancouver games.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
In a close physical game who did you notice ?
I know Ehlers is skilled but on that team he has had linemates JV never did and truth is in a close hard fought game JV was better tonight.
Ehlers team needed another 3 blind mice show from officials to help .
Virtanen was better in a physical game than Pettersson tonight.

Man I hate this fan base sometimes.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Just want to thank you Canucks fans for your hospitality. Was sitting in section 101 with my parents and three brothers, couldn’t have asked for a friendlier group around us.

Will be sure to return the favour to the many Nucks fans at Bell MTS Place for Winnipeg-Vancouver games.

Glad you had a good time! Hoping the Jets go far this year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jets on the last game of a long roadsie and they looked it at times. I know some will point to the non-call in the last couple of minutes and the late breakdown which led to the winner. But to me the Canucks have to make teams pay on the pp....and they're getting some looks, but not hitting the net.

Unfortunately as the season drags into the final quarter and closer to the playoffs, the refs will start putting their whistles in their pockets. And teams like the Jets will take liberties. Canucks are still missing some pieces, particularly on the blueline and in the physical battles along the boards. But they're entertaining as heck to watch, and for this season that's really all you can ask for.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Thought both the reffing and announcing were gutless.

Refs had to call the stick in the face to Motte and the announcers had to be honest about a blatant penalty not being called. Typical CBC BS with the cover up for horrible officiating. One big difference b/w watching Americans announcers and Canadians ones is the degree of honesty. Announcers, say in the NFL, tell like it is. They look to be correct and honest. Canadian ones go the PC route and look not to offend. Like let's not offend the refs by calling them out, or let's not say that was a penalty since it might upset some fans. Everything is filtered to please. In the states, players get called out directly for poor play while up here you only look for the positives and criticize in only an oblique way. After all we have to be polite.

Team played an excellent game and should have won. Brossoit was very good and the Canucks couldn't bury chances but they controlled much of the game. I think it is hard to pick out individual Canucks as good b/c they played like a team and, in the end, it was a good team performance rather than a story of certain individuals carrying the team.

However some better performances included:

Markstrom - again provided top end goal tending. Maybe second best in this game but still Markstrom was solid

Virtanen - his development has been a key factor in the improvement of the team. His pressure created chances and he worked well both ways.

Tanev - just outstanding. Has over the last while with Edler faced the best in the League and IMO dominated in his end. They seem a true top pairing defense unit atm.

Biega - again I don't see how some people get in the lineup ahead of him. He played hard in his end and did good job at the offensive blue line. Said earlier teams will regret not taking him off waivers. One of the most underrated players on the team and in the League IMO

Edler - getting played to death. Very good stretch of play out of Edler. When you see the step up in play you don't want to be cynical but sometimes you think ....CONTRACT YEAR. And then you wonder if he would be as good with a new contract.

Horvat - thought he was going to get the goal but he did force Brossoit into some very good saves. Did a very good defensive job again on a top end line

Some I didn't like so much were

Eriksson - drifted back to the old Loui. Just a frustrating player. Looked awkward with the puck all game. Just can't sustain a high level game

Granlund - seems to fade when asked to raise game against superior teams.

Others

Motte - didn't get that much accomplished but you have to admire the try and the grit. His hustle along with people like Roussel and Gaudette are making a difference this year.

Pouliot - better effort.

Goldobin - nice setups here and there but generally weak on the puck.

Canucks remain on a pretty good run and guess you have to hope the Xmas break doesn't derail them. Team has worked hard and deserves a decent Xmas.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Virtanen was better in a physical game than Pettersson tonight.

Man I hate this fan base sometimes.

And going forward it will be Virtanen that plays physical and creates space for the skill of a Pettersson .
It was worth noting results in that type.of game the different skill sets were easy to see .
I really don't get your I hate this fan base sometimes statement hate what an honest post about how they played tonight which is what it was .

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Didn't see the game, was at US vs Czech. Looked at box score 40 shots Canucks. 0 shots Erikson, forward with 2nd most ice time, over 19 minutes. WTF is going on Greene.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Truly a character building game; the push back and pressure were a treat to watch tonight. One of the fun parts of being a hockey fan is seeing a new core meld together and begin to bring more out of each other. Optimism is fun.

Winnipeg has a talented and big team but you can tell that they can be beaten with speed.

The Canucks put towards a lot of pretty good shots and executed some nice setups. Real chemistry stuff and was nice to see. Saw virtually none of that last year. Missed the net far too much though.

One thing they didn't do and will need to learn is to pounce on the puck and generate 2nd and 3rd chances. A lot of shots tonight either missed the net or were one and done in terms of possession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->