GDT: Game 38: Coyotes @ Canucks - This one is on tee-vee - 8PM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doesn't really make sense for a cash strapped team to keep Smith around after this season if he has been convincingly dethrowned. With 17.5 left on his deal for the next three seasons and we save about 5.9 mil overall if we cut ties and the buyout would only be 1.9 for the next 6 seasons.

With Doan playing like he's in his prime, we could use the extra money to help with his new contract which is getting more expensive by the night.

Don't forget, if we buyout Smith, we have to replace him with another goalie and salary. I would try to trade him when his NMC expires, if at all possible.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I believe it's 2/3 the cash spread out over twice the remaining term.

Ah, as long as we save money overall with a cheap replacement that makes sense then.
Buffalo, Buffalo, Buffalo. This is like Buffalo. That is like Buffalo. The other thing is like Buffalo. The color of the laces is like Buffalo.

Enough Buffalo.

This doesn't reflect the coyotes board as a whole. Since we are both teams in similar stages in their rebuilds I like hearing how a comparable franchise is doing.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
We need to just buy out Smith. I'd like to see the front office fired and a new regime take over. That way they can fire the coaching staff and buy out the goalie. We need a fresh start.

*chants* "Chayka Chayka Chayka Chayka"

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Ah, as long as we save money overall with a cheap replacement that makes sense then.

This doesn't reflect the coyotes board as a whole. Since we are both teams in similar stages in their rebuilds I like hearing how a comparable franchise is doing.

So now I need to put in a disclaimer on my posts? "The comments posted do not reflect the position of the management, the board, or MantisTobogganMD" :laugh:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So now I need to put in a disclaimer on my posts? "The comments posted do not reflect the position of the management, the board, or MantisTobogganMD" :laugh:

No, I'm just saying some value his input and aren't tired of hearing about Buffalo, you didn't say you spoke for the whole board and I wasn't saying you did.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No, I'm just saying some value his input and aren't tired of hearing about Buffalo, you didn't say you spoke for the whole board and I wasn't saying you did.

It's okay, really, it is. I was just having a little fun with your post. Buffalo love has been going on since the Greeks, so it's all good.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's okay, really, it is. I was just having a little fun with your post. Buffalo love has been going on since the Greeks, so it's all good.

No worries. Buffalo is my second favorite team after I followed them some last year, so I have a soft spot for them. Overall their posters are pretty cool too, a few bad apples but that happens with all fan bases.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Best way to get rid of Smith will be the expansion draft.

Agreed. I say hold on to him for another year or two, and make him the back-up or 1B goalie. Then when expansion hits, hope some sucker team will take him via the expansion draft, in order to try and hit the cap floor.

If there's no takers, then when we can buy him out, and the caphit will only count for 2 to 4 years, as opposed to 6, if we buy him out this offseason.

I've been really happy with a lot of Maloney's moves since the 2015 deadline, but the fact that our two biggest contracts signed in the last decade have been buy-out worthy, reflects very poorly on him, IMO.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Smith only has 3 years remaining after this season. Plus he's never 100% mentally healthy.

Sorry about that, this season isn't over yet, so I'm still seeing him as on a 4 year contract. What I meant is that we're pretty much stuck with him unless we buy him out and I can't imagine we'd buy him out this season (or next) since we're still stuck with 1.5-2 million each season for Ribeiro's contract until 2020. Of course, I'm also not saying that we won't buy him out at some point (thus the 2-4 years reference in my previous post). If we buy him out, it will probably be in the 2017-2018 or 2018-2019 season depending on how he does next season (he probably won't be back long enough to determine if the surgery improves anything this season).

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
No worries. Buffalo is my second favorite team after I followed them some last year, so I have a soft spot for them. Overall their posters are pretty cool too, a few bad apples but that happens with all fan bases.

I hear tell we Buffalo fans have quite the reputation for raping, pillaging and eating babies among the Hurricanes fan base.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Please diagram that sentence.

720px-Buffalo_sentence_1_parse_tree.svg.png

(or you could have just clicked the link)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad