GDT: Game 38: Coyotes @ Canucks - This one is on tee-vee - 8PM

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Agreed. Pacific is tight and the Ducks and Flames are playing better. The nice thing is it may feel like a very competitive season yet we could still finish in the bottom 5-10.

There's at least a reason to be optimistic that you'll see a win this year. Last year was always a surprise when we won.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Too bad he's on the first flight back when Smith gets cleared to play :cry:

Well, hopefully we send down Lindback once Smith is "healthy" again. I can't imagine anyone would claim him and they could use some "veteran help" out there.

Of course, Domingue hasn't shown that he can come in and change the flow of a game after a struggling goalie, so that would be a problem with Smith. Admittedly, I wouldn't mind seeing Smith as a backup for the rest of this season (to make sure he is fully recovered from his surgery :) )

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Well, hopefully we send down Lindback once Smith is "healthy" again. I can't imagine anyone would claim him and they could use some "veteran help" out there.

Of course, Domingue hasn't shown that he can come in and change the flow of a game after a struggling goalie, so that would be a problem with Smith. Admittedly, I wouldn't mind seeing Smith as a backup for the rest of this season (to make sure he is fully recovered from his surgery :) )

I bet they send Domingue down. If Smith is going to play, let Domingue get his minutes in the AHL.

Buffalo's in a similar situation with Ullmark. He's played remarkably well for a young goalie (although he's gotten terrible goal support- the Sabres lose 2-0 with Ullmark and lose 4-3 with Chad Johnson), but when the #1, Lehner, comes off injured reserve, Ullmark goes back to the AHL.

The big difference is that Domingue already has a lot of playing time in the AHL, so if he continues to play well and there questions about Smith, maybe he stays up. But I bet he doesn't.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I bet they send Domingue down. If Smith is going to play, let Domingue get his minutes in the AHL.

Buffalo's in a similar situation with Ullmark. He's played remarkably well for a young goalie (although he's gotten terrible goal support- the Sabres lose 2-0 with Ullmark and lose 4-3 with Chad Johnson), but when the #1, Lehner, comes off injured reserve, Ullmark goes back to the AHL.

The big difference is that Domingue already has a lot of playing time in the AHL, so if he continues to play well and there questions about Smith, maybe he stays up. But I bet he doesn't.

This. Domingue will develop better with starting minutes in the AHL to help him towards the goal of being our starter of the future, not by being a backup to Mike Smith who we all know Tip would ride for 70 starts a year if not for injuries. Sending down Lindback to have Domingue sit on the bench and get peppered with shots in practice would be a step backwards for his development.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Domingue has played well enough so far to show that he's a legitimate contender for one of the two goalie positions next season. Might even be sooner if we see Lindback get traded after Smith returns.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Domingue has played well enough so far to show that he's a legitimate contender for one of the two goalie positions next season. Might even be sooner if we see Lindback get traded after Smith returns.

That is what I'm hopeful for. Smith usually heats up in January or so. If he can come back and outplay Lu I think it's great. We need to trade or waive Lindback. Domingue has earned his pay and earned a chance to stay in the NHL so far.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I of course hope we trade or waive Lindback, but I can't see much interest in him unless a team is really desperate.

I say once Smith returns, we continue the "Win, you're in" philosophy; after all, doesn't Tippett play those who "earn" their ice-time and scratch those who struggle? :sarcasm:

I realize Smith will be the starter once he returns (and for the next 2-4 seasons :cry: ), but I also hope we wait until he is 100% healthy before playing him regularly.

I'm fine with sending Domingue back down, but that could also hinder his game since Springfield's defense is much worse than ours(even for the AHL). Finally, Domingue is an RFA, so his next contract should be pretty good. I suppose there's an off-chance another team shows interest, but DM better be willing to match any decent offers.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I realize Smith will be the starter once he returns (and for the next 2-4 seasons :cry: ), but I also hope we wait until he is 100% healthy before playing him regularly.

Smith only has 3 years remaining after this season. Plus he's never 100% mentally healthy.

Domingue tried to hustle Maloney for a one way deal and that was before he demonstrated he could clearly hang in the NHL. If they can get him on a cheap bridge deal, they probably buy out Mike Smith and bring in a veteran backup or bring back Lindback.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Shane Doan has 15 goals in 30 games. He only scored 14 goals last season over 79 games. He's either called Jagr and received some tips, or he's been drinking the blood of the rookies.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Domingue tried to hustle Maloney for a one way deal and that was before he demonstrated he could clearly hang in the NHL. If they can get him on a cheap bridge deal, they probably buy out Mike Smith and bring in a veteran backup or bring back Lindback.
Wait, what? Two weeks and you ...
1) believe Domingue is the man AND ...
2) are willing to pay Mike Smith to not play for us AND ...
3) want bringing back Lindbackup next year?

Domingue is restricted, he'll be here next year unless someone goes full potato and offer sheets him in a way that involves us getting a 1st+ back.

When Smith is healthy, Lindback loses his seat. You play Smith-Domingue 60/40 or 50/50 for the remainder of the year. You re-up Domingue for 2 years.

Worst case: Domingue is just a guy, he's here for two years and whatever.

Better case: Domingue is good and we have a Luongo/Schneider situation on our hands and we can flip one of them for a nice asset. Like the guy (Horvat) who scored on us tonight haha.

Dream case: Domingue the new Canadian Olympic goalie, Smith traded to EDM for Draisaitl, etc ...

Let's not go overboard here, people. Domingue's been here two weeks.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't care who the mediocre back up is, they're always better than Smith (other than one single season). I'd take any of Greiss, Johnson, Montoya, Lindback, or Domingue over Smith. The nice thing about Domingue is that he's young, home-grown, and has upside. Plus he will be cheap for a little while.

rt

May 13, 2004
This. Domingue will develop better with starting minutes in the AHL to help him towards the goal of being our starter of the future, not by being a backup to Mike Smith who we all know Tip would ride for 70 starts a year if not for injuries. Sending down Lindback to have Domingue sit on the bench and get peppered with shots in practice would be a step backwards for his development.

We need to just buy out Smith. I'd like to see the front office fired and a new regime take over. That way they can fire the coaching staff and buy out the goalie. We need a fresh start.

rt

May 13, 2004
Smith only has 3 years remaining after this season. Plus he's never 100% mentally healthy.

There are several goalies that are available every single summer that are as effective as Smith, all things considered. But they are a fraction of the price. You can pick up just about any goalie making roughly a million bucks per year (give or take a couple of hundred grand) and they'll give you lower peaks but higher valleys than Smith, and without all the drama. Smith is worth about one million dollars per year. He's getting six million. It's embarrassing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm very impressed with the growth in Domingue's game over the past few games. At first he was a rebound dispenser. Now he controls the rebounds very well. He's learning on the job, and learning fast.

As with every young goalie it's consistency. He is still very young, nice to see him doing well.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We need to just buy out Smith. I'd like to see the front office fired and a new regime take over. That way they can fire the coaching staff and buy out the goalie. We need a fresh start.

Does buying him out help at all? We still pay him the whole deal right? His cap hit wouldn't he a big deal for the length of his deal, we won't be a cap team anyway.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Does buying him out help at all? We still pay him the whole deal right? His cap hit wouldn't he a big deal for the length of his deal, we won't be a cap team anyway.

It only makes sense if the starting goalie is on an entry level contract. Otherwise, we're stuck with Smith and his contract.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Buffalo, Buffalo, Buffalo. This is like Buffalo. That is like Buffalo. The other thing is like Buffalo. The color of the laces is like Buffalo.

Enough Buffalo.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wait, what? Two weeks and you ...
1) believe Domingue is the man AND ...
2) are willing to pay Mike Smith to not play for us AND ...
3) want bringing back Lindbackup next year?

Domingue is restricted, he'll be here next year unless someone goes full potato and offer sheets him in a way that involves us getting a 1st+ back.

When Smith is healthy, Lindback loses his seat. You play Smith-Domingue 60/40 or 50/50 for the remainder of the year. You re-up Domingue for 2 years.

Worst case: Domingue is just a guy, he's here for two years and whatever.

Better case: Domingue is good and we have a Luongo/Schneider situation on our hands and we can flip one of them for a nice asset. Like the guy (Horvat) who scored on us tonight haha.

Dream case: Domingue the new Canadian Olympic goalie, Smith traded to EDM for Draisaitl, etc ...

Let's not go overboard here, people. Domingue's been here two weeks.

Exactly correct. As usual, everyone goes overboard when a kid plays. Domingue has played 15 NHL games, so let's hope he develops with the rest of the kids. He is heading in the right direction, so far.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't care who the mediocre back up is, they're always better than Smith (other than one single season). I'd take any of Greiss, Johnson, Montoya, Lindback, or Domingue over Smith. The nice thing about Domingue is that he's young, home-grown, and has upside. Plus he will be cheap for a little while.

Yup.

I thought you finally came to your senses, and then you post this.:)

There are several goalies that are available every single summer that are as effective as Smith, all things considered. But they are a fraction of the price. You can pick up just about any goalie making roughly a million bucks per year (give or take a couple of hundred grand) and they'll give you lower peaks but higher valleys than Smith, and without all the drama. Smith is worth about one million dollars per year. He's getting six million. It's embarrassing.

I think DT and DM are getting a little tired of Smith's act, but I think they still play him hoping he plays well so they can trade him when his NMC is removed. I would like for them buy him out, but I think the more likely scenario is him becoming a back up.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
I think the more likely scenario is him becoming a back up.

Doesn't really make sense for a cash strapped team to keep Smith around after this season if he has been convincingly dethrowned. With 17.5 left on his deal for the next three seasons and we save about 5.9 mil overall if we cut ties and the buyout would only be 1.9 for the next 6 seasons.

With Doan playing like he's in his prime, we could use the extra money to help with his new contract which is getting more expensive by the night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad