GDT: Game 37: Red Wings vs b's 5:00 pm et 12/31/23 (ESPN+, BSD)

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
If we sell at the TDL, all of Kane, Perron, Ghost and Sprong (and maybe Petry) will be gone, meaning the team post Feb 28th will be worse than the 2023 team even with SE and JB.. let's not kid ourselves
I hope Sprong is re-signed. Not sure how he is in the locker room, but if he isn’t a cancer, then I don’t see why he isn’t resigned. He’s solid complimentary scoring and his shot is a big weapon on the PP.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Not if you want to extend him.

The point is to unload some assets and still be in the hunt of a playoff spot.
Ah ok..sure if he wants to extend I get it...

I don't see any path that would allow us to be in the hunt for the playoffs post selling off perron, ghost, sprong etc and replacing them with SE and JB..if they were better or made us better..well, theyd be here today

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Ghost and Perron make this team rather worse then better. Trade them for picks at the deadline if you can. Move Ed into the lineup, Mo to PP1, Berggren into the lineup. Play won’t get worse.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I am well aware of that..

Who expects cup contention...you?...I certainly do not..

If we end up selling off all available free agents at the TDL(for the 6th straight year with SY around and 8th straight overall)
People constantly bring up the number of years that Yzerman has been on board, like he didn't explicitly state that he wasn't going to rush the rebuild and we all don't know how royally Holland f***ed the team over.

What is the point in bringing that up? Should the team be contending by now?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
People constantly bring up the number of years that Yzerman has been on board, like he didn't explicitly state that he wasn't going to rush the rebuild and we all don't know how royally Holland f***ed the team over.

What is the point in bringing that up? Should the team be contending by now?
Well...I guess I'd answer that by asking what's not considered "rushing" the rebuild...and who gets to decide when its over, let alone when it started?

I suspect some fans would feel the team should be challenging for a playoff berth in 2024 while others may feel not until 2028..neither of them would be wrong however...both can be true or wrong just depends who you ask I guess

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well...I guess I'd answer that by asking what's not considered "rushing" the rebuild...and who gets to decide when its over, let alone when it started?

I suspect some fans would feel the team should be challenging for a playoff berth in 2024 while others may feel not until 2028..neither of them would be wrong however...both can be true or wrong just depends who you ask I guess
Maybe this will help:

If the team misses the playoffs this season, it'll be tied for 6th all time for playoff drought. That includes pre-salary cap teams like the expansion Capitals owned by penny pinching Abe Pollin who never gave a rat's ass about the team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe this will help:

If the team misses the playoffs this season, it'll be tied for 6th all time for playoff drought. That includes pre-salary cap teams like the expansion Capitals owned by penny pinching Abe Pollin who never gave a rat's ass about the team.
Our re-build coincides with the worst lottery cap system ever for re-building.... so am I surprised? Nope.

You are going to see teams stuck at the bottom more than ever before with this landscape they have chosen. We will see how long it will take for them to do something about it.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

The team IS challenging for a playoff berth in 2024. Have you written the season off?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Our re-build coincides with the worst lottery cap system ever for re-building.... so am I surprised? Nope.

You are going to see teams stuck at the bottom more than ever before with this landscape they have chosen. We will see how long it will take for them to do something about it.
Either that or teams will load up with short-term talent just to make the playoffs and maybe win a couple of rounds before starting the process all over again.

Reactions: MiddleEarth

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Let's keep in mind that the salary floor was introduced with the salary cap. In theory, those teams should have sucked longer. Just look at these numbers;

Note: NHL player salaries were not public until 1989. Also interesting that it ballooned 10x in the 14 years that the page covers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If we end up selling off all available free agents at the TDL(for the 6th straight year with SY around and 8th straight overall) to draft 9th OA, remain a bottom feeder, rinse and repeat, those teams dont ever become cup contenders...

Well... Tampa Bay just happened and Yzerman was the GM for that team...

For multiple years Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman bolstered their roster with vet free agents/trades as summer moves.

During the season:
- Did sent kids to the farm
- At ~60 game mark, did sell some of those vets aquired earlier, and opened spots for some kid callups
- Sellings did happen if the team was still on the playoff hunt or not
- Got extra draft capital from those sellings
- Signed again new UFAs for the next draft capital hoarding round for future years
- Repeated it
- Repeated it
- Never drafted himself at Top2.
- Repeated it
- Repeated it for so long, at some point the kid core was enough old to start bolstering the roster at the trade deadline, to become a real contender (McDonagh-trade)
- Started using draft capital as a buyer.

And this same is gonna be repeated at Detroit. All the moves are pointing on the same plan.

At the 2024 trade deadline, Yzerman is gonna sell at least:
- 1 defenceman (to open a spot for Edvinsson)
- 1 winger (to open a spot for Berggren)
- 1 goalie (not really open a spot for anyone, but some team will need depth)
- Maybe 1 another player, if there's some crazy ask. (this opening spot will be used to rotate and give some taste for Mazur/Kasper/Söderblom/Wallinder/Johansson/Cossa -core at GR)

There it is. The full circle.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Well... Tampa Bay just happened and Yzerman was the GM for that team...

For multiple years Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman bolstered their roster with vet free agents/trades as summer moves.

During the season:
- Did sent kids to the farm
- At ~60 game mark, did sell some of those vets aquired earlier, and opened spots for some kid callups
- Sellings did happen if the team was still on the playoff hunt or not
- Got extra draft capital from those sellings
- Signed again new UFAs for the next draft capital hoarding round for future years
- Repeated it
- Repeated it
- Never drafted himself at Top2.
- Repeated it
- Repeated it for so long, at some point the kid core was enough old to start bolstering the roster at the trade deadline, to become a real contender (McDonagh-trade)
- Started using draft capital as a buyer.

And this same is gonna be repeated at Detroit. All the moves are pointing on the same plan.

At the 2024 trade deadline, Yzerman is gonna sell at least:
- 1 defenceman (to open a spot for Edvinsson)
- 1 winger (to open a spot for Berggren)
- 1 goalie (not really open a spot for anyone, but some team will need depth)
- Maybe 1 another player, if there's some crazy ask. (this opening spot will be used to rotate and give some taste for Mazur/Kasper/Söderblom/Wallinder/Johansson/Cossa -core at GR)

There it is. The full circle.
How many years in a row did Tampa miss the playoffs before making it?

If we're gonna play that game then it has to be 100% the same..Otherwise its dishonest and only picking out the points we like..

The TBL went on their run of playoff success in large part to the 2x HoF level talent they acquired in the 08 and 09 draft 1st and 2nd OA..

How can the plan in Detroit precisely match the plan used in Tampa when it dosent and cant?

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It's his 5th season. Why is this so hard?
I thought he was the GM at the 2019 draft?

But you're right, he came back in Apr, after the TDL but in time to utilize the acquired draft capital from the 2019 sell off.

2024 would make it the 6th draft in a row SY walks up to the podium(or virtual) to announce Detroits 1st rd selection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad