GDT: Game 37: Red Wings vs b's 5:00 pm et 12/31/23 (ESPN+, BSD)

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Enjoyed the game despite the loss. I hate Boston and loved the physicality. They weren't taking any crap tonight. Enjoyed the fisticuffs. Wish this had ended with a W but I'll take it considering the bad hockey we've seen for much of December.

Here's to Yzerman and Newsy making some changes before the trade deadline. Still time to steer this ship in the right direction.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
100%

I think though frustration from some stems from the fact we have been built on purpose to not be bad enough to ever be a lottery winner nor are we active enough to build a contender..

Its this weird no man's land that hasent resulted in any sustained success, let's assume that's the intended goal, by any of the recent "dynasty" teams. .(tampa, chicago, LA, Pittsburgh) during the cap era.

Inevitably theirs not alot to support trusting it other than ones admiration for SY
Surprisingly you don’t normally magically jump from bottom feeder to cup contender within the span of a year.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Surprisingly you don’t normally magically jump from bottom feeder to cup contender within the span of a year.
I am well aware of that..

Who expects cup contention...you?...I certainly do not..

If we end up selling off all available free agents at the TDL(for the 6th straight year with SY around and 8th straight overall) to draft 9th OA, remain a bottom feeder, rinse and repeat, those teams dont ever become cup contenders...

I've never once said we should be competing for the cup, but, I have said competing for a bottom 7, 8 or 9 finish is not very good at this point...

that's all

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I am well aware of that..

Who expects cup contention...you?...I certainly do not..

If we end up selling off all available free agents at the TDL(for the 6th straight year with SY around and 8th straight overall) to draft 9th OA, remain a bottom feeder, rinse and repeat, those teams dont ever become cup contenders...

I've never once said we should be competing for the cup, but, I have said competing for a bottom 7, 8 or 9 finish is not very good at this point...

that's all
Why would you be mad about selling tho, just the fact that we are? I didn't expect playoffs so maybe I just had my expectations low. But a big sell off and then finishing the year with Edvinsson and Berggren doesn't sound exactly like the end of the world to me. You don't sell off to remain a bottom feeder.

Then who knows what happens in the offseason with the assets we get, last time we used it to get our current leading scorer.

Also in your other post did you really talk about not being bad enough to win a lottery? Here is a hint, I really don't understand why some of us have to keep telling Wings fans, but we are never winning a lottery.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why would you be mad about selling tho, just the fact that we are? I didn't expect playoffs so maybe I just had my expectations low. But a big sell off and then finishing the year with Edvinsson and Berggren doesn't sound exactly like the end of the world to me. You don't sell off to remain a bottom feeder.

Then who knows what happens in the offseason with the assets we get, last time we used it to get our current leading scorer.

Also in your other post did you really talk about not being bad enough to win a lottery? Here is a hint, I really don't understand why some of us have to keep telling Wings fans, but we are never winning a lottery.
I'm only going to address your last paragraph...

The ONLY reason I brought the lottery up is this...since the cap era, zero teams have achieved sustained success(defined as multiple cups) w/o at least ONE top 3 pick(LA) 100% of the other teams had multiple (Tampa, Pittsburgh and Chicago)..

So if we're not trying for a lottery win, which I agree with we shouldnt, we will need to be aggressive on the trade front(debrincat was a gift horse not a plan) ...maybe that's the plan in year 7, 8 or 9 under the Yzerplan and I'll eat crow..

As a fan I'd just like to see that now(does not mean sell off ever prospect or pick) to push for a playoff berth, get some meaningful game experience and continue to draft and fold in a prospect or two every season..

That's it..maybe that's what we do starting more in 25/26..just like to see it sooner is all(and no thats not impatience as it's been quite a few years of irrelevancy at this point)

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I'm only going to address your last paragraph...

The ONLY reason I brought the lottery up is this...since the cap era, zero teams have achieved sustained success(defined as multiple cups) w/o at least ONE top 3 pick(LA) 100% of the other teams had multiple (Tampa, Pittsburgh and Chicago)..

So if we're not trying for a lottery win, which I agree with we shouldnt, we will need to be aggressive on the trade front(debrincat was a gift horse not a plan) ...maybe that's the plan in year 7, 8 or 9 under the Yzerplan and I'll eat crow..

As a fan I'd just like to see that now(does not mean sell off ever prospect or pick) to push for a playoff berth, get some meaningful game experience and continue to draft and fold in a prospect or two every season..

That's it..maybe that's what we do starting more in 25/26..just like to see it sooner is all(and no thats not impatience as it's been quite a few years of irrelevancy at this point)
I don't think anyone is impatient for expecting playoffs. They spent money this offseason. But with the amount of good teams in and out of the playoffs right now I wouldn't take it as a failed rebuild just yet.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Why can’t we win the lottery? Just because it hasn’t happened in the past that somehow means we never will in the future? I never understood this line of thinking

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Why can’t we win the lottery? Just because it hasn’t happened in the past that somehow means we never will in the future? I never understood this line of thinking
After being in the bottom spot and witnessing a pandemic at the same time. While the NHL thought it would be cute to have playoff teams win the lottery. I became a bit jaded in thinking Detroit could ever win.

With our luck WW3 will pop off and Bettman will have a world peace tournament where everyone has a chance to win the lottery.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
After being in the bottom spot and witnessing a pandemic at the same time. While the NHL thought it would be cute to have playoff teams win the lottery. I became a bit jaded in thinking Detroit could ever win.

With our luck WW3 will pop off and Bettman will have a world peace tournament where everyone has a chance to win the lottery.
I get that but just way it goes. Only 2 out of 16 teams will be happy each year. Its not bad luck when you only had a 10-15% chance of winning in the first place.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I get that but just way it goes. Only 2 out of 16 teams will be happy each year. Its not bad luck when you only had a 10-15% chance of winning in the first place.
It’s a bit of bad luck when we used to drop like.. every year

I will continue to post this in the hopes Yzerman accidentally stumbles across this site… but when the hell is the defense and G going to be addressed? It’s a bloodbath out there

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I still expect us to be close to a wild card spot around the trade deadline. Don't expect us to be big sellers.

same. even with the rough december we aren't crazy far out of the race. I'll be surprised (and probably a bit disappointed) if we're making any significant deals where our primary return are picks.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yeah I'd like a more aggressive fix, Maatta was extra stinky last night and while others might be more deserving of being punted to oblivion he is the only D with no NTC.

Also I'm hoping we just buy out Holl, 4 years of 1.3mil dead cap is not bad and the roster spot is more important. Just accept it was a bad move and rip that band-aid off.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

something about lotteries just breaks peoples brains

even when you do win it....there was a shockingly high number of people saying in the summer that the NBA lottery was rigged against the Pistons and they literally won a 1st overall pick in one two years before it

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I still expect us to be close to a wild card spot around the trade deadline. Don't expect us to be big sellers.
I think if this is the case, then it’s a successful season. Obviously would be nice to finish in a playoff position, but just the fact that they have meaningful games up until the last day of the season, is important for the development of this team.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think if this is the case, then it’s a successful season. Obviously would be nice to finish in a playoff position, but just the fact that they have meaningful games up until the last day of the season, is important for the development of this team.
Yeah, I agree.

I do think Yzerman will cash in on a couple of players, but it won't make the team worse as we have replacements in Berggren and Edvinsson.

Reactions: 13to40

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yeah, I agree.

I do think Yzerman will cash in on a couple of players, but it won't make the team worse as we have replacements in Berggren and Edvinsson.
If we sell at the TDL, all of Kane, Perron, Ghost and Sprong (and maybe Petry) will be gone, meaning the team post Feb 28th will be worse than the 2023 team even with SE and JB.. let's not kid ourselves

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think it would be reasonable to sell on Perron, Ghost and Petry ( for example ), move Seider up to PP1, call up Ed and Burger, and not get much worse. Yzerman might also add some guys.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
If we sell at the TDL, all of Kane, Perron, Ghost and Sprong (and maybe Petry) will be gone, meaning the team post Feb 28th will be worse than the 2023 team even with SE and JB.. let's not kid ourselves
I think it would be reasonable to sell on Perron, Ghost and Petry ( for example ), move Seider up to PP1, call up Ed and Burger, and not get much worse. Yzerman might also add some guys.
Petry has an NMC, and probably won't be sold.

I can see Ghost, and one of Perron or Sprong be traded, but it will depend on the injury situation. I don't think Kane will be traded.

And yeah, he could add players as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3