Post-Game Talk: GAME 37 - Penguins 6 BRUINS 5

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Is Grizz play uninspired hockey because he known's his days are number in Boston.
There can't be much chatter with Sweeney and his agent.

I think he's injured and has been most of the season. Like him or not, he is not doing the things well that he normally does well.

He's terrified of body contact, lol.
He hasn't been in the past, so again, I am guessing he is carrying an injury of some sort.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
One other note when mcavoy took the penalty in the latter part of the third and Carter threw his stick and face washed him I thought a tie game late in the third matching penalties seems sufficient.
100% agree. At that late stage of the game, score is tied, a wiser ref would have called Carter as well and made it a wash. Let the play of the teams determine the winner.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The only play that stands out to me as bad for Charlie was when he cornered himself and the delay of game penalty ensued.Not sure what you expect from him without a cape on because he eats a crapload of minutes.Its near impossible in today's game to play flawless out there just about half the game.
Agreed: Especially when most everyone else on D was f**cking up by the numbers. Look, as you said, CM wasn't perfect and has made some big boo boo's but almost everyone else was putrid.

Reactions: BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
True but also don’t recall them getting hemmed in their own end for long stretches like they did last night especially in the first period.An aggressive forcheck is and continues to be their Achilles heel going back to the Florida series.

The answer was evident in their recent four game winning streak: creating their own aggressive forecheck. This is the only way for them to remedy the problem. And they'd better, because they are not going to win any other way.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
good for him clap clap clap, he's not a top six player and it shows on most nights regardless of his points. He's a terrible center on both ends of the ice against quality players.

Its not his fault he's in over his head,I blame the GM

He need to stop taking D zone face-offs its killing them and wearing down the D

We disagree. Completely.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sure the 6 mins of ice time the 4th line gets is being saved by the goalies. lol No the whole friggin team benefits from the strong tandem goaltending not just the fourth line.

Last night the “good” players as you believe struggled. Especially in the beginning. Can’t place blame on young players when the team lets up 6 and they are only on ice for 6mins.

There's a reason they only play 6 minutes a night.

And I never blamed the 4th line for the loss last night.

They are getting less and less ice time because they are not playing well. When Poitras comes back perhaps they can get a veteran on that line and things will improve.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
good for him clap clap clap, he's not a top six player and it shows on most nights regardless of his points. He's a terrible center on both ends of the ice against quality players.

Its not his fault he's in over his head,I blame the GM

He need to stop taking D zone face-offs its killing them and wearing down the D

Right he is putting up the points in a bigger role. But the Bruins aren't winning the battle with him in that bigger role. You could live with Coyle or Zacha as a #2C with a real #1C, but it's still not ideal. Zacha is at his best at wing and Coyle as #3C.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If only there was someone in or near Boston, maybe a former player , that was good on faceoffs and
could teach his tricks and tips. Ah well , guess that person doesn't exist.

Sure, maybe they can get Ray Bourque to come down to practice and teach Lohrei how to be an all-world defenseman too.

Last edited:
Reactions: duffy

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
How many of the Pens goals came from players not being moved from the slot?

Let's face facts, they need a lot, regardless of record.
At least one . maybe two. A few others were caused by deflections or bad rebounds. My point being the Bruins weren't outmuscled in the game the Pens utilized their speed and forecheck to create space and open chances.

Reactions: Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Charlie took 2 penalties in the 3rd period, including the one Crosby scored the winning goal on.

Eating a crapload of minutes (26:27) still not as much as Lindholm's crapload (29:13).

Behind the play too often trying to make things happen in offensive end. Only landed 1 shot on goal.

I mean in a game like that him switching to offense mode is exactly what he should be doing. The puck over the glass penalty was ugh. The other one, eh, its a guy breaking towards the net with position. It happens.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Sure, maybe they can get Ray Bourque to come down to practice and teach Lohrei how to be an all-world defenseman too.
No you can’t teach someone to be an all world defenceman,but someone can be taught the ways to be better at taking face offs,I remember when Derek Sanderson was working with the Niagara Falls Flyers as an assistant and face offs was a big part of what his coaching was about,and there was a big difference in their players ,so not sure why you’re disputing that it can’t be taught to a degree.

The answer was evident in their recent four game winning streak: creating their own aggressive forecheck. This is the only way for them to remedy the problem. And they'd better, because they are not going to win any other way.
Agree and especially in the playoffs when the checking becomes tighter,

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
If only there was someone in or near Boston, maybe a former player , that was good on faceoffs and
wouldn't he have shared some of those with Coyle and Frederick in the 4+ years he played with them?

Reactions: BTO

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I bet they talked to Bergy about it. Maybe he is taking his time coming back to the game. Likely enjoying his family time. He would not of retired if he was going to come back as a coach right away

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
McAvoy and Lindholm possibly our two most important players were easily our worst players last night when it came to being hard to play against. They made it look easy for the Pens. If I’m Monty, I bag skating Chuckie and giving Lindholm a few nights off to get his head straight.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Is Grizz play uninspired hockey because he known's his days are number in Boston.
There can't be much chatter with Sweeney and his agent.
Why would there be any ???? Really if Sweeney has any interest in re-signing Gryz ??? I am very concerned with the direction this team is going

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
McAvoy and Lindholm possibly our two most important players were easily our worst players last night when it came to being hard to play against. They made it look easy for the Pens. If I’m Monty, I bag skating Chuckie and giving Lindholm a few nights off to get his head straight.
im pretty sure mcavoy lost every board battle

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think he's injured and has been most of the season. Like him or not, he is not doing the things well that he normally does well.

He hasn't been in the past, so again, I am guessing he is carrying an injury of some sort.

I agree that Gryz is likely not fully fit and that's impacting his game. But I do also think the trade talk rattled him. Strikes me that Matt is desperate to stay in Boston, for pretty obvious reasons, and the thought of having to go elsewhere may well have unnerved him. I don't want to make out that he thinks he's special or immune to the reality for most players that they will play for more than one team over the course of their careers, but it's one thing to acknowledge that and another to be staring down the barrel of it actually happening. Of course him now playing poorly only makes a move more probable, but sometimes stress gets the better of us and produces the opposite of what we actually need or intend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad