Post-Game Talk: GAME 37 - Penguins 6 BRUINS 5

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
One other note when mcavoy took the penalty in the latter part of the third and Carter threw his stick and face washed him I thought a tie game late in the third matching penalties seems sufficient.

Last edited:

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Marchand-Coyle-Debrusk
-Keep these guys together. I think their chemistry will continue to grow and they can log a ton of minutes.

Zacha-Merkulov-Pastrnak
-Give Merk a chance to shine with some really talented players.

Heinen-Poitras-Geekie
-Heinen and Pots have had good chemistry. Geekie adds good size and skill to that line and can take important face offs.

JVR-Beecher-Frederic
-Heavy line 2.0. Good mix of size and skill. I think these two guys can help bump up Beechers scoring while playing good responsible hockey.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Another 13 goals by Marchand and he hits 400 and can punch his ticket to the HOF.

Verbeek, Roenick, Bondra, Bellows, Nicholls, Mogilny, Fleury, Middleton, Larmer, Vaive, Roberts....just to name a few not in with 400+

A bunch of them have cups too

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Part of me knows that being as frustrated in Monty as I am is a little irrational considering we're still in first place and this roster is way outperforming it's talent level, but man am I finding myself be really f***ing frustrated with a lot of his decisions.
Bruins are good. Goaltending is a huge part of being a first place team. Boston has the best combo in the league.
Also worth noting there are alot of so-so teams in today's NHL to pick up points against.
Atlantic
- Tbay ain't what they were and neither is Vasilevskiy.
Leafs - ha! they get a little worse every year and the buds weren't that good to begin with.
Wings improving but still basically a 500 team.
Habs, Sens, Sabres - teams rack up points against these opponents on a nightly basis.
Panthers are the exception in the Atlantic. They are built for play offs and wrote the book on how to beat the Bruins with an extreme forecheck.

Ulmark will beat Vasilevskiy on Saturday.

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
that first half of the game was the worst ive ever seen a Bruin defense play in over 20 years. it was comical and embarrassing.
the giveaways the missed coverages. the collisions. you wouldve thought it was a beer league team that showed up hammered.
I also feel like the commentators didnt even pick up on how bad they were.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
They shorten the bench every night, it's going to screw them come playoffs. Lindholm 30 mins in a January game... like come on. I thought this coach was brought on to be a voice for the young players.

He's gonna run these guys into the ground and he's going to have young guys who haven't played tough minutes. Sounds like a recipe for success come April..

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Grasping at straws here- but why wouldn’t you roll Shattenkirk out there for the majority of the 6 on 5? Guys been on fire and should absolutely be out there more so than Lindholm and maybe even Mac right now.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Bruins are good. Goaltending is a huge part of being a first place team. Boston has the best combo in the league.
Also worth noting there are alot of so-so teams in today's NHL to pick up points against.
Atlantic
- Tbay ain't what they were and neither is Vasilevskiy.
Leafs - ha! they get a little worse every year and the buds weren't that good to begin with.
Wings improving but still basically a 500 team.
Habs, Sens, Sabres - teams rack up points against these opponents on a nightly basis.
Panthers are the exception in the Atlantic. They are built for play offs and wrote the book on how to beat the Bruins with an extreme forecheck.

Ulmark will beat Vasilevskiy on Saturday.
In the Bruins 4 game win streak before last night,they didn’t seem to have as much of a hard time getting the puck out with the aggressive forcheck,lot less keystone cops,I like to call it.Not sure if it was because of the Bruins better playing those games or the teams they beat not for checking as aggressively.

Reactions: Gordoff and PaulD

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The only play that stands out to me as bad for Charlie was when he cornered himself and the delay of game penalty ensued.Not sure what you expect from him without a cape on because he eats a crapload of minutes.Its near impossible in today's game to play flawless out there just about half the game.

Charlie took 2 penalties in the 3rd period, including the one Crosby scored the winning goal on.

Eating a crapload of minutes (26:27) still not as much as Lindholm's crapload (29:13).

Behind the play too often trying to make things happen in offensive end. Only landed 1 shot on goal.

Reactions: Gordoff

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
that first half of the game was the worst ive ever seen a Bruin defense play in over 20 years. it was comical and embarrassing.
the giveaways the missed coverages. the collisions. you wouldve thought it was a beer league team that showed up hammered.
I also feel like the commentators didnt even pick up on how bad they were.
During the first half of the game, it looked like the Bruins were up against the 1977 Canadiens.
I couldn't remember the last time the Bruins looked so bad defensively.
Maybe during the Dave Lewis era?

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In the Bruins 4 game win streak before last night,they didn’t seem to have as much of a hard time getting the puck out with the aggressive forcheck,lot less keystone cops,I like to call it.Not sure if it was because of the Bruins better playing those games or the teams they beat not for checking as aggressively.

The teams they beat didn't have any Sidney Crosbys in their lineups.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was pissed off before the game last night.

Before the game many kids come down to the glass to watch the pre-game. Often there are a bunch that played in the afternoon at the Garden. They are always excited (understandable). Sometimes there are a few that are just rude brats with no manners. Last night there were 4. They were pushing, shoving, punching, climbing all over the seats (I got kicked in the back and elbowed in the head) , bullying smaller kids and just horrible. I wanted to know why there were no responsible adults with them. I wanted to grab a couple by the scruff of their necks that were abusing smaller kids. (but did not).

Anyway...My rep left, and I have no rep but I just left a voicemail with the ST office.

I hate to be that grouchy old lady but ....

Oh, and the worst and most rude kid shoved this one little guy and a girl so he could get on the glass to get a puck. He did not get one. I got one for the two kids he was abusing. I am just a mean old lady :naughty:

I'm sure others have noticed that for the first time, David is stepping up to the microphone as a team leader, rather than an individual player. I like it.
One the ice you see it too. He sets up some of the plays and speaks to the stripes.

He is a good choice to wear the "A".

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Perhaps Montgomery should look in the mirror rather than blame his players, who of course must take responsibility for lapses. This has become a frequent feature of his tenure.

"I don't like this," "I don't like that." Well, do something about it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
mcavoy has to step it up.
guy was brutal tonite. he should not be on the power play.
what the hell was he thinking on the delay of game penalty?
How can you say he shouldn't be on the powerplay? Who do you play on the PP other than Shattenkirk? Your best offensive d-man should always be on your powerplay.

McAvoy: .86 PPG

Shattenkirk: .35 PPG
Lindholm: .30 PPG

(I won't even get into the rest of the defense)

Reactions: NDiesel

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I was pissed off before the game last night.

Before the game many kids come down to the glass to watch the pre-game. Often there are a bunch that played in the afternoon at the Garden. They are always excited (understandable). Sometimes there are a few that are just rude brats with no manners. Last night there were 4. They were pushing, shoving, punching, climbing all over the seats (I got kicked in the back and elbowed in the head) , bullying smaller kids and just horrible. I wanted to know why there were no responsible adults with them. I wanted to grab a couple by the scruff of their necks that were abusing smaller kids. (but did not).

Anyway...My rep left, and I have no rep but I just left a voicemail with the ST office.

I hate to be that grouchy old lady but ....

Oh, and the worst and most rude kid shoved this one little guy and a girl so he could get on the glass to get a puck. He did not get one. I got one for the two kids he was abusing. I am just a mean old lady :naughty:

One the ice you see it too. He sets up some of the plays and speaks to the stripes.

He is a good choice to wear the "A".

He's becoming one.

As for the brats, it's unfortunate that you couldn't slap 'em around.

Even so, you did what you did: You were kind to the little ones.

That's the ticket.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Perhaps Montgomery should look in the mirror rather than blame his players, who of course must take responsibility for lapses. This has become a frequent feature of his tenure.

"I don't like this," "I don't like that." Well, do something about it.

Didn't notice, did Monty have a lot of turnovers last night? Was he on the power play when the Pens had a breakaway followed by a 2 on 0? Did he shoot the puck into the crowd for a delay of game?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
True but also don’t recall them getting hemmed in their own end for long stretches like they did last night especially in the first period.An aggressive forcheck is and continues to be their Achilles heel going back to the Florida series.

An agressive forecheck like Florida's is a problem for virtually every team in the league.

That's why the Panthers are only 3 points off the best record in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad