GDT: Game 37: Last road game of 2018

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don’t mind a winning streak. I’m just tired of losing. I’m sure the players are as well.

Reactions: zman77

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Is he not wrong though? As I said, these guys have played hockey their entire lives. Assumedly, some, if not most of them have been a part of a functional PP at some point in their career. And those that haven't still should have an idea of what to do.

Yet seeing them on the PP of late, you'd question how any of them ever made it to the NHL in the first place.
I feel like everything is an overcompensation from the Francis/Peters era. Rod and some of the staff obviously felt Peters was too strict with some of his rules and too structured overall. This is the polar opposite and to me it’s far worse. I liked Peters system and thought the issue was just being short a forward or two. Now we have a complete identity issue. We’re no longer built to play skill at all, but we aren’t built to be a grinder team either.

Which is beside the point, who would call a grinding team exciting? Who wants to watch that? How was trading skill players for less skill players going to make us more fun to watch? I hated the Mo era and he was all about grinding and volume of shots. His team had to. Now this team has to when it didn’t last year. We’re intentionally creating a less exciting team that’s less built for today’s league while calling it culture change and hyping it as somehow more exciting.

Not that Dreger is the be all end all but he was on tsn radio this week and they briefly talked about us, laughing about how we were looking for a top six forward after trading two away. He’s right but it’s nice to know we aren’t the only ones completely befuddled by the direction.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We’re playing the grinding game because we don’t have the talent on the roster to play any other way. We have 3 “skilled” forwards and the rest are better suited for grinding.

I don’t care what style of play we’re playing, whether it’s boring to watch or whathaveyou. If they could figure out how to win every game 1-0 and keep both teams to under 20 shots, I wouldn’t care. Because they’d be winning.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I feel like everything is an overcompensation from the Francis/Peters era. Rod and some of the staff obviously felt Peters was too strict with some of his rules and too structured overall. This is the polar opposite and to me it’s far worse. I liked Peters system and thought the issue was just being short a forward or two

I've thought the exact same thing. Going from "I don't believe in chemistry" blend-o-matic to intransigent ES deployment, going from a set offensive zone system to seemingly none at all other than get the puck, then fire it at the net, too tight a leash to too long a leash, micromanagement of deployment to rolling 4 lines without much care for maintaining strict matchups...

I don't think Rod is necessarily wrong in everything. Peters had himself convinced 3/4ths of the lineup couldn't handle standard NHL comp, which necessitated wacky deployments and undoubtedly killed the confidence of some players (PDG actually mentioned this). I'll even say Peters (and Francis) oozed "I don't have self confidence, I don't believe in this group" while Rod has tried to do the opposite.

The problems stem from the forwards. Maybe Barry Trotz could get this group to win a bunch of 3-2 games and get a lot of loserpoints for the wild card. I don't want to jump from critiquing Rod as a coach to BILL PETERS IS THE PROBLEM redux.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I think the power play is where coaching is especially important, because all the PK has to do is touch it and throw it away, they don't have to worry about advancing it. The PP needs to have everyone one the same page as to what the preferred shot is and what the secondary options are. How many times just today did we see people surprised by their own teammate's pass? That should not be happening so regularly, and the simplest explanation for it to me is that there is no plan. That can work 5 on 5 because the other team also has to think, and you can buzz around and create havoc while they do.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I feel like everything is an overcompensation from the Francis/Peters era. Rod and some of the staff obviously felt Peters was too strict with some of his rules and too structured overall. This is the polar opposite and to me it’s far worse. I liked Peters system and thought the issue was just being short a forward or two. Now we have a complete identity issue. We’re no longer built to play skill at all, but we aren’t built to be a grinder team either.

Which is beside the point, who would call a grinding team exciting? Who wants to watch that? How was trading skill players for less skill players going to make us more fun to watch? I hated the Mo era and he was all about grinding and volume of shots. His team had to. Now this team has to when it didn’t last year. We’re intentionally creating a less exciting team that’s less built for today’s league while calling it culture change and hyping it as somehow more exciting.

Not that Dreger is the be all end all but he was on tsn radio this week and they briefly talked about us, laughing about how we were looking for a top six forward after trading two away. He’s right but it’s nice to know we aren’t the only ones completely befuddled by the direction.

I think this is steel on target.

Glad I didn't watch today, was so checked out didnt even know there was a game. I think I'm about ready to hit the eject button for the year. I've never quit this team before but think I'm about to.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
:D:D:):) Thought the game was at 7:00. So glad I didn't waste a Sat afternoon watching! I want better. SO, I hope we lose every game for the rest of the year and average .5150 goals/game.

DaMillers

Jun 26, 2016
Maybe they came into this year with pretty much the system that Bill Peters had in place, and the more RBA has coached them into this dump and chase garbage and the more they get away from what they have done the last few years, the worse they are getting? And having RBA look totally lost at the post game interviews makes me wonder if he does not look lost in front of his players... There seems to be a pretty clear trajectory on how this season is going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad