GDT: Game 37: Last road game of 2018

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
One of the most stacked defensive corps in the league, though. And they still have decent forward depth. Not great, but the defense makes up for it.
The D as good as it "can" be has more then a few Brain-farts a game. most end up in the back of the Cane's net.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Babych44

Sep 8, 2012
Why Rod wont put Ferland back with TT and Aho? Those two need winger of his type. On PP he is but 5on5 not

Reactions: Tryamw

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I think someone’s dad could climb behind the bench and come up with better pp units, yell at everyone to try hard and then look dumbfounded in the post game.

I found a way to save you some cash TD.
Just put me in there. I'll just throw darts at a board with pictures on it and line people up like that.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
The D as good as it "can" be has more then a few Brain-farts a game. most end up in the back of the Cane's net.
I’ve noticed that, but every team’s defensemen make mistakes. With this team and the defense they have, it shouldn’t happen as much, though. If it does happen, it’s a systemic issue for sure.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
One of the most stacked defensive corps in the league, though. And they still have decent forward depth. Not great, but the defense makes up for it.
We needed to add two forwards to last years group, not ship out three of the top nine and not properly replace them. Adding Svech, Ferland and Necas to last years group might’ve made a difference.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
We needed to add two forwards to last years group, not ship out three of the top nine and not properly replace them. Adding Svech, Ferland and Necas to last years group might’ve made a difference.
That’s very true. Still can’t get over Skinner not being here. And it ticks me off that Lindholm is doing so well. Who is the 3rd forward you’re talking about? Ryan?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's impressive how much these players are in their own heads right now.

Let's face it: They've all grown up playing hockey. They know how a power play works. How it's supposed to function. You could put any 5 NHLers out there with no coaching whatsoever and they'll put it in the net occasionally. Probably with more consistency than the Canes are now.

But because we're not scoring, because such an emphasis has been placed on our shit PP, the players are gripping their sticks too tight and just amplifying the issue.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Plus/minus is a misleading stat, in my opinion. If we go by that, how is it possible for Slavin to regress this much?
Partly by being constantly on the ice for a team that doesn't score any goals ever.

Partly by being separated from the guy who he obviously has chemistry with, Brett Pesce, who is +4.

It just seems like Brindy has no idea how to use what few pieces he does have.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'm convinced even our good players are falling victim to this **** system Rod employs, they've all regressed to some degree. He needs to go, hell let Dean what-his-last-name take over, I don't care. But Rod has to go.

This statement implies that Rod has a system; he has all but explicitly stated to the media that he doesn't. Not just today, but that quote about plumbers plumbing basically said, to me at least, "I just send them over the boards, they should be able to figure it out"

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That’s very true. Still can’t get over Skinner not being here. And it ticks me off that Lindholm is doing so well. Who is the 3rd forward you’re talking about? Ryan?
Yes. They also jettisoned Nordstrom and Stempniak. I agree with that in theory but losing Ryan, Lindy and Stempniak while Necas and Zykov didn’t make it leaving the team with 11 lefty forwards and Williams. It’s created a side issue of unbalanced pp lineups and too many guys playing 5v5 off wing. Hamilton and Faulk don’t get as many chances as they should because there’s no skilled righty’s driving wide around the net, coming back around and finding the right d pinching down the back door lane. Hamilton does it frequently and rarely gets pucks.

If Stempniak was healthy he could actually be a postive addition right now.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Partly by being constantly on the ice for a team that doesn't score any goals ever.

Partly by being separated from the guy who he obviously has chemistry with, Brett Pesce, who is +4.

It just seems like Brindy has no idea how to use what few pieces he does have.
Agreed. If there’s one thing I know, it’s that Slavin-Pesche need to be together.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Yes. They also jettisoned Nordstrom and Stempniak. I agree with that in theory but losing Ryan, Lindy and Stempniak while Necas and Zykov didn’t make leaving the team with 11 lefty forwards and Williams. It’s created a side issue of unbalanced pp lineups and too many guys playing 5v5 off wing. Hamilton and Faulk don’t get as many chances as they should because there’s no skilled righty’s driving wise around the net, coming back around and finding the right d pinching down the back door lane. Hamilton does it frequently and rarely gets pucks.

If Stempniak was healthy he could actually be a postive addition right now.
That’s a good point, but do you really think that handedness has that big of an effect on the outcome?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That’s a good point, but do you really think that handedness has that big of an effect on their play?
It’s one of many issues. I do think it matters but it’s hardly the biggest issue. At this point we would have to take any skill we could get, and not fuss over being a righty but 11 to 1 is very unbalanced.

We had the same issue three or four years ago and when we picked up Stempniak it was an obvious improvement positionally. Every chance counts and having a skill guy on his backhand who can still make a decent pass leads to one chance vs that same player being on his forehand and seeing all of the ice better leads to a better chance. They all add up.

I do believe our forwards don’t see Hamilton as an option enough. Whether it be a lack of skill, vision, patience or handedness the guy gets open a lot and rarely gets the rock in those moments.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I also believe only certain guys should play off wing. Martinook can play off wing because he’s a chip and chase winger and it doesn’t matter. Ferland and Svech aren’t that great at taking the middle and consistently creating out of it, and driving wide on your backhand is equally tough to be consistent at. TT is the only guy who is pretty good at taking the middle on the pp.

I think Ferland is over there because between him and Johnny Hockey obviously he’s the guy who’s gonna move. He rarely had to carry the puck with those two and just had to be open to shoot. Here he has to carry the puck more and he’s not a creator like that, he’s a power forward. He should be LW with us and TT on the off wing. Right now Rod isn’t even playing Ferland with them at all despite him being our best goal scorer who scored all his goals with them.

Tonight they got McGinn...

Reactions: Babych44

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
As others have noted several times in recent days, the 'Canes will do well (or at least better than now) towards the end of the season and that will push us out of the top 5 draft picks.

I'd like for us to get a star player in the draft since we have little options for improving this team in any significant way since our new owner is the same as the old owner regarding being a cheap ass. Durr you gotta spend money to have a better team. Maybe if we hadn't been so cheap with refusing Lindholm a pay raise, and had hired better talent with the GM and head coach positions by paying decent money too, we would be in a better situation! As others have said, trade Skinner (with little return too FFS) and Lindholm, and guess what? Our team's offense downgrades without any replacements. Now we are facing the prospect of another rebuild basically. The 'Canes have botched rebuilds in the past too however (maybe another big reason why we haven't made the playoffs?).

/end of rant. Just give us either Hughes or the Finn in the draft who's name I can't remember how to spell. What are the odds we become a draft lottery winner 2 years in a row? LOL.

Reactions: Wolfpuck

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This statement implies that Rod has a system; he has all but explicitly stated to the media that he doesn't. Not just today, but that quote about plumbers plumbing basically said, to me at least, "I just send them over the boards, they should be able to figure it out"

Is he not wrong though? As I said, these guys have played hockey their entire lives. Assumedly, some, if not most of them have been a part of a functional PP at some point in their career. And those that haven't still should have an idea of what to do.

Yet seeing them on the PP of late, you'd question how any of them ever made it to the NHL in the first place.

Reactions: Dark Ambient

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
As others have noted several times in recent days, the 'Canes will do well (or at least better than now) towards the end of the season and that will push us out of the top 5 draft picks.

I'd like for us to get a star player in the draft since we have little options for improving this team in any significant way since our new owner is the same as the old owner regarding being a cheap ass. Durr you gotta spend money to have a better team. Maybe if we hadn't been so cheap with refusing Lindholm a pay raise, and had hired better talent with the GM and head coach positions by paying decent money too, we would be in a better situation! As others have said, trade Skinner (with little return too FFS) and Lindholm, and guess what? Our team's offense downgrades without any replacements. Now we are facing the prospect of another rebuild basically. The 'Canes have botched rebuilds in the past too however (maybe another big reason why we haven't made the playoffs?).

/end of rant. Just give us either Hughes or the Finn in the draft who's name I can't remember how to spell. What are the odds we become a draft lottery winner 2 years in a row? LOL.
Even if we finish in the bottom 3, some other teams will jump us and push us to pick 5 or something.

I'm still betting on a winning streak in March to ruin everything.

Reactions: Sigurd

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Honestly wonder if Dundon makes a push for tarasenko like star this summer, maybe even Seguin?

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Even if we finish in the bottom 3, some other teams will jump us and push us to pick 5 or something.

I'm still betting on a winning streak in March to ruin everything.
After being a fan of the Hurricanes for so many years, I know from experience that the end of the season wins will happen and this will make us draft 10th or so. This has screwed our team so many times. Our team really should have racked up more top 5 draft picks over the course of the past several years IMO, but because of this, they are stuck being at best a wishful playoff bubble team that can't improve much from the draft like they should.

Yeah, even if we got in the top 3 for the draft, I'm doubtful we would have the 1st pick unless we were dead last and thus had the highest chance of winning the lottery. Winning a lottery draft pick 2 years in a row? Seems doubtful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad