Post-Game Talk: GAME #36 - Sharks def. Canucks - 3-2

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's actually pretty insane to go down 3-0 and not get a PP. The Canucks are hated from the top down it seems.

Did you watch the game or are just saying that? The Canucks didn't earn any penalties, there was nothing missed. It's nothing about being hated or the usual nonsense the tinfoil hat crowd believes.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The difference? Luongo would have let that swell to 7 or 8. At least Schneider gave the team a chance to come back

:laugh:

Oh please guys. This clearly isn't a goaltending problem, it's a team problem. We let in one goal and everyone loses their minds. I don't why but it is what it is. Schneider, Luongo it's irrelevant. I don't care who you are, we are letting in 3 in that span with the way the team played in front of him.

Guess it's easy to blame just one guy though.

herbiberous

Mar 19, 2006
Before we go throwing dirt on the 2013 Canucks, let's wait and see how they do once everyone's healthy.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
:laugh:

Oh please guys. This clearly isn't a goaltending problem, it's a team problem. We let in one goal and everyone loses their minds. I don't why but it is what it is. Schneider, Luongo it's irrelevant. I don't care who you are, we are letting in 3 in that span with the way the team played in front of him.

If we were playing Chicago, it probably would have ended up 5-0, 6-0. Just one of many things that absolutely sickens me about this team and coach.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Did you watch the game or are just saying that? The Canucks didn't earn any penalties, there was nothing missed. It's nothing about being hated or the usual nonsense the tinfoil hat crowd believes.

No I didn't watch the game. I was too busy constructing a new tin foil hat and looking for aliens in the sky.

Normally when a team goes down by 3 goals they don't even have to earn a PP and are gifted a few. I felt the Canucks did earn a couple. I'm not blaming the refs for the game as it shouldn't come down to that, just pointing out an anomoly that stuck out after 25+ years watching the NHL.

It is my opinion that the referees aren't to keen on the Canucks. Starting from Burke/Gillis calling them out, to the diving/pests, to Burrows/Auger, as well as the general sentiment of dislike that the average hockey fan holds towards the Canucks, they have reason to not do us any favors. I don't think it takes a leap of faith to beleive that the Canucks are not the refs favourites. They're only human and I wouldn't really blame them actually.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
vigneault_alain_194x194.jpg

:sarcasm:

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
No I didn't watch the game. I was too busy constructing a new tin foil hat and looking for aliens in the sky.

Normally when a team goes down by 3 goals they don't even have to earn a PP and are gifted a few. I felt the Canucks did earn a couple. I'm not blaming the refs for the game as it shouldn't come down to that, just pointing out an anomoly that stuck out after 25+ years watching the NHL.

It is my opinion that the referees aren't to keen on the Canucks. Starting from Burke/Gillis calling them out, to the diving/pests, to Burrows/Auger, as well as the general sentiment of dislike that the average hockey fan holds towards the Canucks, they have reason to not do us any favors. I don't think it takes a leap of faith to beleive that the Canucks are not the refs favourites. They're only human and I wouldn't really blame them actually.

canucks rank 7th in the nhl in overall pp time and 4th in total 5 on 4 time which pretty much negates everything you just said

they didnt get any pp's tonight because they didnt play hard enough to earn any...again, the bottom pp teams in the league right now are winnipeg, columbus, buffalo, vancouver and carolina, so its pretty baffling to see fans take the tony gallagher league conspiracy route when all focus on canucks special teams should be pointed inwards

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I just didn't see anything that warranted a penalty. It's too easy to just make a blanket statement asking for PPs.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So an officiating conspiracy is a thing now? Oy vey...I mean yes, there were some missed calls last night, but most of them went the other way. For every missed slash or trip San jose got away with, we probably had 2. Our PP wouldn't have bailed us out anyway, the way its connected of late.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
canucks rank 7th in the nhl in overall pp time and 4th in total 5 on 4 time which pretty much negates everything you just said

they didnt get any pp's tonight because they didnt play hard enough to earn any...again, the bottom pp teams in the league right now are winnipeg, columbus, buffalo, vancouver and carolina, so its pretty baffling to see fans take the tony gallagher league conspiracy route when all focus on canucks special teams should be pointed inwards

Agreed.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

Well the PP totals don't explain anything honestly. There are many ways those can add up that don't actually help a team stay in or win a game.

I've come to the conclusion watching game in and game out that the Canucks are definitely not the refs favourites. Does this mean they can't win? Nope. Many teams have not been the refs favourites and succeeded anyway (Ducks cup team comes to mind). It's no excuse and not something that everyone has to beleive, I don't really care if you do or not, but I think it's pretty obvious we won't be getting many favours from the refs until perceptions change. Now I don't think it's enough of a factor to cost us games or screw us over, but it's there.

Refs are human, they're a union and a brotherhood, they talk and have agendas. Our team has been the most vocal against them, challenged them the most by diving and basically called one of their own out that was eventually cast off. That will not go unnoticed. Mostly my point was that it's very odd to go down 3-0 and not be gifted a few PPs. Watch for it next time the Canucks go up a few goals in a spurt, I'd be willing to bet the opponents finsih the game with a few PPs regardless of being deserving or not. Watch for it.

I don't think it's a conspiracy against the Canucks, I just think it's a natural reaction to the Canucks relationship with the refs over the last few years. It's palpable. But I just found the anomoly interesting more than anything. It's not as if I'm saying the refs are hurting or holding us back, we're just not their favourites and the Canucks have done it to themselves.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Seriously... "always"???

Like the previous 6 game winning streak lacked structure?

Like in 2010 when the Canucks iced the best statistical team in almost every major category in modern NHL history?

Like the past 5 years where the Canucks have been one of the top goal differential teams in the league?

Like the past two seasons where we won the Presidents trophy?

ALWAYS????

Some people need to do some memory exercises around here so they can recall how DOMINANT this team has been over the last 3-5 years.

Yes, this year has been a nightmare in regards to the level we're comparing ourselves against AND I think we can all agree that a change is needed, maybe even a major roster move (a Kesler/Edler + goalie level move), but to start re-writing history is really pushing it too far at this point.

Yeah, I should qualify what I meant by "always" with "since the beginning of the year", and "structure" with "puck support and overall coordination in their play". For the majority of this season, I would say yes. They had it in 2010-11 for the most part, but now you can see it is a problem. You could see it start to become an issue last season as well. The 6 game winning streak doesn't change anything - that was due to luck, timely scoring and good goaltending.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I just didn't see anything that warranted a penalty. It's too easy to just make a blanket statement asking for PPs.

From my post:

"Normally when a team goes down by 3 goals they don't even have to earn a PP and are gifted a few."

It was an anomoly and please refer to the rest of my posts on this topic for further explanation.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The lack of 'structure' has always been there?

If anything...i'd say it's the opposite. At times, this team has been stifled by an overbearing reliance on 'structure'. Right now, we're seeing what happens to 'structure' when you have a lot of players who aren't capable of executing that structure with consistency...and it's really ugly. But i wouldn't pin the ineptitude of players on the backcheck like tonight, on a 'lack of structure'. It's a lack of ability to execute that structure under duress. And in the case of our abysmal powerplay...it's an insistence on 'structure' and scheming and set-play preparing our way out of a hole, over natural organic creative play.

See what I said above. Also, what happens what that overarching scheme is either faulty to begin with or simply not effective anymore? A bad system will make anyone look bad. Almost nonexistent puck support, breakouts completely read by the opposition. It's not hard to imagine why this team has so much trouble generating offence when it can't even move up ice efficiently to begin with.

Hal 9000*

The difference? Luongo would have let that swell to 7 or 8. At least Schneider gave the team a chance to come back

Bottom line is this team is fully dependent on the goaltending right now. I'm surprised they have a playoff spot with how they have looked this year, just hoping they hang on enough to keep a spot. Don't think they have it in them this year anyways (unless Schneider is lights out) so I wouldn't mind a better draft pick

No, the sharks clearly sat back and protected their lead for half a game, much like the Canucks. And, it did almost come back to bite them - as it has the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad