Post-Game Talk: GAME #36 - Sharks def. Canucks - 3-2

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I dunno, guys.

I'm thinking that there's really no point agonizing over the trade deadline or what we're going to get for moving a goalie. I just don't see the Canucks as being buyers for the simple reason we've just got too much missing from this team to be worth hawking draft picks or the few prospects we have. Yeah, we're decimated on the injury front; we're missing two entire lines. Minor moves are pretty much pointless. Unless Gillis finds a way to pull 3 top 6 forwards out of his ass, we're unlikely to make much headway in the next day and a half.

Remember when people were criticizing those posters who weren't overflowing with joy during the 6 game win streak? Yes, wins are nice but the team itself was betraying a lot during that time. It was on display in spades the last two games.

I see a team that needs a serious upgrade in brains, heart, skill and resilience to get back to being a serious contender. Right now, the only thing that isn't crying out for improvement is goaltending. Special teams are terrible. Breakouts are terrible. Defensive coverage is terrible. They fold under pressure, can't handle speed, can't handle physicality, and can't put the puck in the net to save their lives. Just getting it on the net is something they have a very tough time with. Bad habits have crept in and not been corrected. We've got Cam ****ing Barker in our d-corps. It just goes on and on.

This simply isn't a very good hockey team anymore, plain and simple. IMHO, major moves are needed to get the Canucks back to serious contention.

Well said. Thank you, sir, for articulating the truth so well.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Sorry, can't help agree and hindsight being imperfect, would have to ask how any sane Canuck fan could look at the past 2 seasons, the team's decline offensively and Kesler's fragility and wonder how badly you want to win. When was the last time a Canuck team sold a player at his peak? That's what smart GMs do... It's often unpopular at the time but winning solves everything.

That's actually the opposite of what smart GMs do. It's actually a great example of what dumb GMs do and some fans want them to do. It's not a fking stock market. GMs aren't trying to be Warren Buffet. They are trying to build a hockey team good enough to win the Stanley Cup. To do that you need the best players, not a bunch of perpetually regenerating "next ones."
So silly!

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
I dunno, guys.

I'm thinking that there's really no point agonizing over the trade deadline or what we're going to get for moving a goalie. I just don't see the Canucks as being buyers for the simple reason we've just got too much missing from this team to be worth hawking draft picks or the few prospects we have. Yeah, we're decimated on the injury front; we're missing two entire lines. Minor moves are pretty much pointless. Unless Gillis finds a way to pull 3 top 6 forwards out of his ass, we're unlikely to make much headway in the next day and a half.

Remember when people were criticizing those posters who weren't overflowing with joy during the 6 game win streak? Yes, wins are nice but the team itself was betraying a lot during that time. It was on display in spades the last two games.

I see a team that needs a serious upgrade in brains, heart, skill and resilience to get back to being a serious contender. Right now, the only thing that isn't crying out for improvement is goaltending. Special teams are terrible. Breakouts are terrible. Defensive coverage is terrible. They fold under pressure, can't handle speed, can't handle physicality, and can't put the puck in the net to save their lives. Just getting it on the net is something they have a very tough time with. Bad habits have crept in and not been corrected. We've got Cam ****ing Barker in our d-corps. It just goes on and on.

This simply isn't a very good hockey team anymore, plain and simple. IMHO, major moves are needed to get the Canucks back to serious contention.

Well put.

About sums up my thoughts as well.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Sedins aren't even top 30 in scoring. How can we win when our best players don't show up.

Sedins need a consistent sidekick to be consistent. Their cycling and passing always looks off and seems to shut off whenever the top line is juggled. Burrows bouncing up and down the lines isn't helping but I understand the necessity of trying to spread the offense around. Having two of the 2nd line players out has caused a domino affect and it hasn't helped, imo, that they didn't play in the off season.

Hal 9000*

Sigh... things like this happen sometimes when the team plays poorly.

Out of curiousity, were you consistent in ragging on Luongo for a couple of the games in the Boston series? I thought a lot of that was due to poor team defense and overall play, but if you're consistent about things, you must have been ripping Luongo for being mentally weak there.

But the team wasn't playing poorly. And, no I probably didn't blame Luongo during the Boston series. Luongo was our best player and 2; we weren't in a position to jettison the best goalie we've ever had - like we are now. Mark my words!

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
I don't really agree with the doom and gloom about our scoring. It's definitely an issue, but one that can be addressed both through getting healthy, and with a savvy acquisition or two by Gillis at the deadline or in the Summer.

While the Sedins do need to be better, they're also a victim of the forward core being decimated by injury. We're icing almost half AHL players on our forward lines right now. Guys like Jensen are trying admirably, but just aren't NHL ready. A guy like Schroeder could probably be an NHL contributor, but on most nights he's being asked to drive his line, which is far too much to expect. We also have wingers trying to play center, so we're starting without the puck FAR too often which leaves us chasing.

We're a center short, even with Kesler healthy. First and foremost going into the deadline, Gillis needs to add a center. If he doesn't, we just don't have the depth up the middle to win. Period. Someone like Derek Roy or Steve Ott is absolutely vital to this team's chances. It can't be a Pahlsson type acquisition, it needs to be someone that can make a legitimate impact in our top 9.

Second, we need Kesler healthy and we need him to stay healthy. If that doesn't happen, again, we're screwed. He's the most important forward by far. When he's healthy, he's our top PKer, he makes our PP better, he takes pressure off the Sedins, etc. A healthy Kesler is crucial to this team's chances to win.

Essentially what it boils down to is fixing the team at center ice. We have a passable crop of wingers in Daniel, Burrows, Raymond, Higgins, Hansen, etc. What we need to fix is center ice and if we can do that, then we stand a chance. If we can't, or don't, then we're boned.

Nov 1, 2011
Hello First round exit, we meet again!

Woes you.

This version of the Canucks (this core) is literally the best I've seen this team have in my entire life. We have high expectations which is a good thing unless we let the weight of expectations and the disappointments of defeats get to you. That is exactly what people who make comments like the one quoted are doing.

The team is not where it needs to be right now but it also has the core it needs to try and win. We need to make a couple of moves to get where we need to be and I hope our GM can get it done (the biggest one IMO is coaching change followed very closely by getting another top 6 centre).

I'd rather be a team that is disappointed by the fact that it is comfortably in the playoffs but not winning their division than one that is over the moon that they are actually going to make the playoffs but all the BS melodramatics and *****ing is pretty annoying.

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
Woes you.

This version of the Canucks (this core) is literally the best I've seen this team have in my entire life. We have high expectations which is a good thing unless we let the weight of expectations and the disappointments of defeats get to you. That is exactly what people who make comments like the one quoted are doing.

The team is not where it needs to be right now but it also has the core it needs to try and win. We need to make a couple of moves to get where we need to be and I hope our GM can get it done (the biggest one IMO is coaching change followed very closely by getting another top 6 centre).

I'd rather be a team that is disappointed by the fact that it is comfortably in the playoffs but not winning their division than one that is over the moon that they are actually going to make the playoffs but all the BS melodramatics and *****ing is pretty annoying.

Great post.

I still believe this team can get it done with some tweaking. Only reason it seems bad right now is because of expectations that the team and fans have set for themselves.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't really agree with the doom and gloom about our scoring. It's definitely an issue, but one that can be addressed both through getting healthy, and with a savvy acquisition or two by Gillis at the deadline or in the Summer.

While the Sedins do need to be better, they're also a victim of the forward core being decimated by injury. We're icing almost half AHL players on our forward lines right now. Guys like Jensen are trying admirably, but just aren't NHL ready. A guy like Schroeder could probably be an NHL contributor, but on most nights he's being asked to drive his line, which is far too much to expect. We also have wingers trying to play center, so we're starting without the puck FAR too often which leaves us chasing.

We're a center short, even with Kesler healthy. First and foremost going into the deadline, Gillis needs to add a center. If he doesn't, we just don't have the depth up the middle to win. Period. Someone like Derek Roy or Steve Ott is absolutely vital to this team's chances. It can't be a Pahlsson type acquisition, it needs to be someone that can make a legitimate impact in our top 9.

Second, we need Kesler healthy and we need him to stay healthy. If that doesn't happen, again, we're screwed. He's the most important forward by far. When he's healthy, he's our top PKer, he makes our PP better, he takes pressure off the Sedins, etc. A healthy Kesler is crucial to this team's chances to win.

Essentially what it boils down to is fixing the team at center ice. We have a passable crop of wingers in Daniel, Burrows, Raymond, Higgins, Hansen, etc. What we need to fix is center ice and if we can do that, then we stand a chance. If we can't, or don't, then we're boned.

This is true.

Legitimate contenders are strong down the middle. Currently...we are not. And i think it's ambitious to expect Kesler is going to jump right back in as a top-flight #2C as well. He really hasn't played much hockey in the last year. The Kesler we saw in his brief return earlier this year, was NOT a dominant #2C. Not even a little bit.

We need to add down the middle, and we need to do so significantly. Not just adding a filler guy to the 3rd line and calling it good. An 'impact center' as it has been mentioned.

Nov 1, 2011
This is true.

Legitimate contenders are strong down the middle. Currently...we are not. And i think it's ambitious to expect Kesler is going to jump right back in as a top-flight #2C as well. He really hasn't played much hockey in the last year. The Kesler we saw in his brief return earlier this year, was NOT a dominant #2C. Not even a little bit.

We need to add down the middle, and we need to do so significantly. Not just adding a filler guy to the 3rd line and calling it good. An 'impact center' as it has been mentioned.

Schroeder + 2nd for Roy
1st for Ribeiro

I think the cap works if we move Ballard and Maholtra onto LTIR (to hang out with Booth until the playoffs).

Probably overkill but it does address our centre depth in a big way (and no this is not serious).

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Ribeiro - Higgins
Booth - Roy - Hansen
Wiese - Kesler - Kassian/Lapierre

...scoring no longer a problem. :sarcasm: - and if you feel the need to ***** about Kesler on the 4th line - this is purely in response to the notion that Kesler isn't ready to be in a big time role (which I believe to be kind of true but obviously not to this extent).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Schroeder + 2nd for Roy
1st for Ribeiro

I think the cap works if we move Ballard and Maholtra onto LTIR (to hang out with Booth until the playoffs).

Probably overkill but it does address our centre depth in a big way (and no this is not serious).

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Ribeiro - Higgins
Booth - Roy - Hansen
Wiese - Kesler - Kassian/Lapierre

...scoring no longer a problem. :sarcasm: - and if you feel the need to ***** about Kesler on the 4th line - this is purely in response to the notion that Kesler isn't ready to be in a big time role (which I believe to be kind of true but obviously not to this extent).

But what will we trade for Goc then? ???

Outside99*

We don't even have 1 line that we can rely on right now. The Sedins were completely invisible tonight. Hate to rag on Jensen because you could see this coming from a mile, but he clearly isn't ready to play on the top line in the NHL, and the Sedins just couldn't get anything going.

I've got the top 2 lines with 56 ES goals, and the 3rd and 4th with 9...after 36 games..let you figure out that extrapolation. Also, the Sedins have fallen off some but they've also become AV's rookie training and initiation line.

Nov 1, 2011
But what will we trade for Goc then? ???

...Kesler?

The 4th line looks weird with him on it anyways.

(When making the roster I kind of wish I hadn't traded Schroder for Roy since he'd look great next to Kesler and Kassian on the 4th...roll 4 scoring lines)

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Ideally, we'd get both a winger and a center.

Raymond and a pick for Pominville
Schroeder and a 2nd for Roy

Not sure how we'd work the salaries, so it's a complete pipe dream, but damn:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Pominville - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
4th line

Nov 1, 2011
Ideally, we'd get both a winger and a center.

Raymond and a pick for Pominville
Schroeder and a 2nd for Roy

Not sure how we'd work the salaries, so it's a complete pipe dream, but damn:

Salaries are easy this year (Booth + Ballard + Manny on IR). In the off-season you wouldn't have space to re-sign Roy and you'd likely have to dump Booth too.

Getting Pomminville would likely require more of a long-term asset than Raymond because he's under contract. Probably Jensen/Gaunce + 1st IMO.

I'd rather have Roy long-term than Pomms. It's been a debate in Buffalo for years and since it would cost a lot less assets to get Roy than Pomms and probably similar $$$ to re-sign Roy, I'd go with making him the long-term asset we acquire and keep this off-season (which would mean that we need to move all of Luongo + Ballard + Booth this off-season).

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I've been calling for AV to get fired but these last two games is the first time I get the feeling it will legitimately happen. Zero structure in the game and for the first time it's starting to look like guys are tuning AV out.

I'd like for it to happen too but why would anything change now though? The lack of structure's always been there. Also, how do you figure the players are tuning the coach out?

Lundface*

3 goals in 2 1/2 minutes! Where is that mentally tough Schneider I've heard so much about? ****, were in serious trouble believing in this dude!

The difference? Luongo would have let that swell to 7 or 8. At least Schneider gave the team a chance to come back

Bottom line is this team is fully dependent on the goaltending right now. I'm surprised they have a playoff spot with how they have looked this year, just hoping they hang on enough to keep a spot. Don't think they have it in them this year anyways (unless Schneider is lights out) so I wouldn't mind a better draft pick

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
I'd like for it to happen too but why would anything change now though? The lack of structure's always been there. Also, how do you figure the players are tuning the coach out?

Seriously... "always"???

Like the previous 6 game winning streak lacked structure?

Like in 2010 when the Canucks iced the best statistical team in almost every major category in modern NHL history?

Like the past 5 years where the Canucks have been one of the top goal differential teams in the league?

Like the past two seasons where we won the Presidents trophy?

ALWAYS????

Some people need to do some memory exercises around here so they can recall how DOMINANT this team has been over the last 3-5 years.

Yes, this year has been a nightmare in regards to the level we're comparing ourselves against AND I think we can all agree that a change is needed, maybe even a major roster move (a Kesler/Edler + goalie level move), but to start re-writing history is really pushing it too far at this point.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

The lack of 'structure' has always been there?

If anything...i'd say it's the opposite. At times, this team has been stifled by an overbearing reliance on 'structure'. Right now, we're seeing what happens to 'structure' when you have a lot of players who aren't capable of executing that structure with consistency...and it's really ugly. But i wouldn't pin the ineptitude of players on the backcheck like tonight, on a 'lack of structure'. It's a lack of ability to execute that structure under duress. And in the case of our abysmal powerplay...it's an insistence on 'structure' and scheming and set-play preparing our way out of a hole, over natural organic creative play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad