Post-Game Talk: GAME #36 - Sharks def. Canucks - 3-2

Outside99*

The team is proving the obvious: you can't go an entire regular season relying on 2 lines, let alone a compressed one.;)

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
damn it I wanted to see Jensen on the PP now we have to wait

Exactly... kid is smart though, you could see him making space for himself, getting into those scoring areas. Impressed with his game. Would have liked to see him carry the puck more and maybe challenge some D as well.

Promising but not overwhelmingly so.

Next game, hopefully they keep that line together.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Sorry, can't help agree and hindsight being imperfect, would have to ask how any sane Canuck fan could look at the past 2 seasons, the team's decline offensively and Kesler's fragility and wonder how badly you want to win. When was the last time a Canuck team sold a player at his peak? That's what smart GMs do... It's often unpopular at the time but winning solves everything.

Maybe if we weren't almost always in contention for a playoff position, as a rental, but otherwise there is no reason on god's green earth to move a player like Kesler to get another player who then has to find chemistry and figure out the system. Kesler is a beast, moving him would be crayzee.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The team is proving the obvious: you can't go an entire regular season relying on 2 lines, let alone a compressed one.;)

We don't even have 1 line that we can rely on right now. The Sedins were completely invisible tonight. Hate to rag on Jensen because you could see this coming from a mile, but he clearly isn't ready to play on the top line in the NHL, and the Sedins just couldn't get anything going.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
547624_10151537330072145_828676967_n.jpg

Newell Brown smh

AV yelling at something

Bowness with some funky hair

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
So I had to miss the game today. Sucks we lost. How was Jensen and Sweatt?

Sweatt was the Sweatt we've seen before, unremarkable. Jensen tried but I didn't see anything outstanding that slots him into the line up for anything other than a desperation call up. Work in progress; showed the odd flash here and there.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Well daniel held his line completely accountable post game which is nice to hear.

Hal 9000*

3 goals in 2 1/2 minutes! Where is that mentally tough Schneider I've heard so much about? ****, were in serious trouble believing in this dude!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
People need to realize we're running a team without an entire 2nd line, take the entire second line off anyteam for a prolong period of games, and i bet our team handled it one of the best. and we're also missing a key pieces from our 3rd and 4th line.

AV is doing status quo-ok. No coach can clean up the mess injuries has left this team with. (although i've hated how he has handled Ballard/Alberts/Barker)

For all the people beaking kesler, look how horrible our special teams is without him. He is absolutely vital to our PP, PK, and possession time.

Our team is fine. We just need to add a 3rd line center, 2nd line winger, and a depth defencemen to ensure that Alberts and barker never see the light of day. Our team is fine as long as Gillis addresses those three needs and the team gets healthy soon.

While you're not wrong, we are absolutely missing a 2nd line...

I keep seeing this parroted after every loss. And while it's true that we're missing 'a 2nd line'...we're not missing 'our 2nd line'. We don't have one. We're missing Kesler. That's 1/3rd of a '2nd line'. It definitely hurts and impacts all over special teams and in the faceoff dot as well...but it's not just injuries leaving this team without a 2nd line. We simply don't have one, even if healthy.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
3 goals in 2 1/2 minutes! Where is that mentally tough Schneider I've heard so much about? ****, were in serious trouble believing in this dude!

Two of the goals were total flukes/tips.

He wasn't the reason why we lost.

AV needed to call at T/O and settle the team, and he didn't and that's more to blame. This team is still quite fragile and doesn't have a defensive system they can baseline to.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I dunno, guys.

I'm thinking that there's really no point agonizing over the trade deadline or what we're going to get for moving a goalie. I just don't see the Canucks as being buyers for the simple reason we've just got too much missing from this team to be worth hawking draft picks or the few prospects we have. Yeah, we're decimated on the injury front; we're missing two entire lines. Minor moves are pretty much pointless. Unless Gillis finds a way to pull 3 top 6 forwards out of his ass, we're unlikely to make much headway in the next day and a half.

Remember when people were criticizing those posters who weren't overflowing with joy during the 6 game win streak? Yes, wins are nice but the team itself was betraying a lot during that time. It was on display in spades the last two games.

I see a team that needs a serious upgrade in brains, heart, skill and resilience to get back to being a serious contender. Right now, the only thing that isn't crying out for improvement is goaltending. Special teams are terrible. Breakouts are terrible. Defensive coverage is terrible. They fold under pressure, can't handle speed, can't handle physicality, and can't put the puck in the net to save their lives. Just getting it on the net is something they have a very tough time with. Bad habits have crept in and not been corrected. We've got Cam ****ing Barker in our d-corps. It just goes on and on.

This simply isn't a very good hockey team anymore, plain and simple. IMHO, major moves are needed to get the Canucks back to serious contention.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
With Higgins re-signing long term and Raymond being scratched is there a chance he gets dealt?

Raymond is an upcoming UFA and plays a stacked LW position - probably has lots of value this TDL. Wouldn't mind dealing him and using the assets for a 3C.

BTW from my limited viewing of this game I'm happy with our winger play. Ebbett/Schroeder/Sestito should all be 13th forwards on a deep roster.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
With Higgins re-signing long term and Raymond being scratched is there a chance he gets dealt?

Raymond is an upcoming UFA and plays a stacked LW position - probably has lots of value this TDL. Wouldn't mind dealing him and using the assets for a 3C.

BTW from my limited viewing of this game I'm happy with our winger play. Ebbett/Schroeder/Sestito should all be 13th forwards on a deep roster.

Plus who knows how Raymond feels about resigning with the organization after they took him to arbitration last summer. I doubt he will take a discount to stay in Vancouver.

Probably for the best anyways, this team needs to drastically overhaul their 2nd line moving forward. May as well move MayRay now and get an asset for him.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver

Sigh... things like this happen sometimes when the team plays poorly.

Out of curiousity, were you consistent in ragging on Luongo for a couple of the games in the Boston series? I thought a lot of that was due to poor team defense and overall play, but if you're consistent about things, you must have been ripping Luongo for being mentally weak there.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I dunno, guys.

I'm thinking that there's really no point agonizing over the trade deadline or what we're going to get for moving a goalie. I just don't see the Canucks as being buyers for the simple reason we've just got too much missing from this team to be worth hawking draft picks or the few prospects we have. Yeah, we're decimated on the injury front; we're missing two entire lines. Minor moves are pretty much pointless. Unless Gillis finds a way to pull 3 top 6 forwards out of his ass, we're unlikely to make much headway in the next day and a half.

Remember when people were criticizing those posters who weren't overflowing with joy during the 6 game win streak? Yes, wins are nice but the team itself was betraying a lot during that time. It was on display in spades the last two games.

I see a team that needs a serious upgrade in brains, heart, skill and resilience to get back to being a serious contender. Right now, the only thing that isn't crying out for improvement is goaltending. Special teams are terrible. Breakouts are terrible. Defensive coverage is terrible. They fold under pressure, can't handle speed, can't handle physicality, and can't put the puck in the net to save their lives. Just getting it on the net is something they have a very tough time with. Bad habits have crept in and not been corrected. We've got Cam ****ing Barker in our d-corps. It just goes on and on.

This simply isn't a very good hockey team anymore, plain and simple. IMHO, major moves are needed to get the Canucks back to serious contention.

That's not quite true.

The core is still good when healthy but they need big additions. A top 6 forward that can play C/W... a 3rd line center... and a RH puck-moving d-man.

If they add those 3 things and Kesler and Booth become healthy they'd have a great shot at coming out of the west.

If they are just going to piddle around and pick up a Torres or 2 there's no point in that, IMO. Might as well just "trim the fat" as people are calling it and move guys our now with the crazy market prices for picks.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I thought Jensen looked promising tonight. Certainley played as an NHL quality player. Should develop into a very good second liner(at the very least) in the near future.

I could only imagine what him and Kassian would look like playing together with a big centreman(maybe Gaunce a couple years down the line?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad