GDT: Game 36: Red Wings at ducks postponed to 1/9/22 8:00 pm et (BSD+)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
They've had bottom 6ers before like him and maybe I'm forgetting how Mick talked about those others but seems like he's really rooting for him.

I'm not disagreeing, but I also feel confident Mick is going to like any young player who resembles old school hockey ;)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think he’s going through some growing pains for sure. Teams are noticing him and now he’s gotta adjust. I think he will, but it does look like it’s frustrating him.

I kinda see that too but funny thinkg is, hes still got 8 points in his last 9 games. So if hes playing "off" right now, wait til hes 25 and "on".

And it's okay for the rebuild to last a couple of years. People are already getting impatient, seems like.

I think people got a taste for the wings being in the playoff mix all the way to the new year this year and maybe bought into it a little too much. People actually have got to watch some skill and like hockey again so some of the passion is back I think lol.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To me, we were never close to a playoff team. All you have to do is look at all the games where we have been badly out-chanced and outshot, which is quite a few and our record looks way better than it really should. Even lower teams outplay us, because we are a lower team, with very little NHL depth. We compete hard against the good teams, but that is about the best you can say, we are just way too thin everywhere except for in net, with Ned in goal. Edmonton is a one line scoring team, and we are a much lower version of a one line scoring team.

That and a large number of teams have quite a few games at hand, with Boston having like 5 or so, and a number of teams with 2-4 less games played than us. We will finish 6-10 this year, but really that is only cause the bottom 5 teams have been really bad this year, otherwise we would have a shot at bottom 3.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
To me, we were never close to a playoff team. All you have to do is look at all the games where we have been badly out-chanced and outshot, which is quite a few and our record looks way better than it really should. Even lower teams outplay us, because we are a lower team, with very little NHL depth. We compete hard against the good teams, but that is about the best you can say, we are just way too thin everywhere except for in net, with Ned in goal. Edmonton is a one line scoring team, and we are a much lower version of a one line scoring team.

That and a large number of teams have quite a few games at hand, with Boston having like 5 or so, and a number of teams with 2-4 less games played than us. We will finish 6-10 this year, but really that is only cause the bottom 5 teams have been really bad this year, otherwise we would have a shot at bottom 3.
Plus I feel like there's a "little brother" factor to it, where the Wings try their hardest, but teams are just playing their backups and not really taking it seriously. The Wings might surprise teams and steal wins here or there, but it's not the same as going power on power with those teams.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
My first thought was that Raymond needs to step up. But when i think about it i never thought he would be on the team at all this year. The Calder and Zegras vs Raymond is just a great bonus this season. And the calder is Seiders anyway soo...

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Maybe we should try keeping Raymond away from Larkin for a while. He had the puck on his stick much more last night. Drop him to line 2 and see what he can do, would face lesser competition too.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Maybe we should try keeping Raymond away from Larkin for a while. He had the puck on his stick much more last night. Drop him to line 2 and see what he can do, would face lesser competition too.

Yeah you sound like a Blashill suppporter.... ;)

(Break up the only line that works so we have nothing!)

_Jokes aside.... Idk, just need some depth scoring. Wings need help. It's not Raymond/Larkins fault they are the only line that consistently drives offensive pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I kinda see that too but funny thinkg is, hes still got 8 points in his last 9 games. So if hes playing "off" right now, wait til hes 25 and "on".
Yeah I think people's expectations have quickly gotten out of hand when it comes to Raymond.

That said he's got 12 games without a goal, and in 5 of those haven't even registrered a shot on goal. So things have slowed down for sure. Which was expected, and is normal. If he can end up around 50 Points on the season that would be FANTASTIC, and only requires him to score 20 the next 40+.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Takeaways from the game.

- That Deslauriers hit on Lindstrom was high. Thank god he was ok afterwards.
- If Larkin and Bertuzzi are injured long term, that's no bueno.
- Raymond and Seider keep racking up points.
- Zadina is trying hard, but no results to show for it. He's taking the reverse Mantha approach :laugh: . -14 and a 5.5% shot percentage is awful.

Reactions: Gniwder

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Yeah I think people's expectations have quickly gotten out of hand when it comes to Raymond.

That said he's got 12 games without a goal, and in 5 of those haven't even registrered a shot on goal. So things have slowed down for sure. Which was expected, and is normal. If he can end up around 50 Points on the season that would be FANTASTIC, and only requires him to score 20 the next 40+.

Hopefully he is on his way back from the slump he's been in.

Raymond may have only recorded 1 point, but in terms of impact on the game, this was his best game since the Chicago game where he scored the hattrick (in my opinion).

Reactions: Mister Ed

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Yeah you sound like a Blashill suppporter.... ;)

(Break up the only line that works so we have nothing!)

_Jokes aside.... Idk, just need some depth scoring. Wings need help. It's not Raymond/Larkins fault they are the only line that consistently drives offensive pressure.

Bert and Larkin seem to be able to drive a line on their own. Id like to see Raymond try to do so on the second line given how good he was last night without Larks.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, worth to try.

Fabbri could go to 1st line. Larkin makes the entries, Tuzzi makes the dirty work. Fabbri snipes.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Missed all the game, except the last few minutes of OT. Almost missed Zadina hitting the side of the net on a decent scoring chance. lol

Is it the faster pace or what? Guy was labeled as a shooter and he just has a very noticeable inaccurate shot in the NHL games I've seen.

My only guess is he has a somewhat weak shot and is now trying to throw too much into it to beat a NHL goalie.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Weird to hear talk about Raymond slumping when he’s nearly ppg over his last 10 and played fantastic last night, other than the poor 5 on 3.

Other than lack of goals he’s still been really really good imo, I’m surprised he hasn’t fallen off more.

Reactions: newfy

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Weird to hear talk about Raymond slumping when he’s nearly ppg over his last 10 and played fantastic last night, other than the poor 5 on 3.

Other than lack of goals he’s still been really really good imo, I’m surprised he hasn’t fallen off more.
As 19 year old undersized rocky , he is great, but it is not time for him to dominate in NHL. I think they rush him, don't know if it's good for him. I'd rather see him playing on the third line with Rasmussen and Namestnikov

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
As 19 year old undersized rocky , he is great, but it is not time for him to dominate in NHL. I think they rush him, don't know if it's good for him. I'd rather see him playing on the third line with Rasmussen and Namestnikov

Uh, why? Raymond has been a huge reason that our first line has been successful. And you want to demote him?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Uh, why? Raymond has been a huge reason that our first line has been successful. And you want to demote him?
I just want him has less pressure from other teams. It seems like he has target on his back and everyone try to run him over. He was second line with Frolunda and next year he's NHL first line . Red wings rushed Zadina and now they are doing the same with Raymond. Seider and Veleno are different , both strong physically, can stand pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad