GDT: Game #35| Mar. 31, 2013| Capitals at Flyers | 6:00 p.m. ET

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Despite the score I think overall he played well. I didnt see too many goals to fault him for. He got sniped on a breakaway again but thats basically it.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
bryz made some nice saves, some not so great. The breakaway was tough, but its a breakaway and Mike green has good hands. He was OK tonight. This team is a turnover machine so a lot of chances come with guys are not in positions or scrambling.

Anyway, good win. Atleast we watch some interesting hockey. I feel like the guys wanted to tank are the same people that overvalue draft picks and prospects like no tomorrow.

Gibbs18

Apr 28, 2011
Elmer, NJ
It's actually not that tough because w/ Bryz in net, you know you never have to go more than 1-2 games without a crappy effort :laugh:

The Mike Green breakaway was pathetic, his effort on the Mojo goal was pathetic, and a goalie w/ better movement could've gotten across on Ovechkin, but I don't blame him for that one. I think at least 2 of the 4 were stoppable.

I'm sure you'll just disagree, but it's the same old stuff from the Bryzga-lovers. He has the 3rd worst ES save % of any goalie getting 20+ starts. He has a worse overall save % than all of the starting goalies of the teams that allow more turnovers than us.

He stinks. It's not the defense, it's that we have a mediocre starting goaltender. I don't understand why some people can't see that. You don't post these kind of numbers unless you're an average at best goalie. And quite frankly that's being generous. If you flirt w/ below a .900 save % in your prime as a goalie, you suck.

Really? Its all our defense dude. They plain suck with the exception of Timonen and Schenn and sometimes Grossmann. Bryz has never had a season with a true #1 dman in Philly. He played with Pronger early the season he got hurt. Bryz last year sucked and we still made the playoffs. This year our whole team sucks. Maybe if our ****ing team practiced shootouts Bryz would be better at stopping breakaways.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Have to say I was in disbelief after this one. Voracek's penalties should have sunk this team, but they got away with it.

Things that happen in the game like that can bring the team closer together and get them to play that much harder. You see it when they play against the Penguins. When they play tough emotional hockey and have each others back this team plays much better. I guarantee every player on the Flyers bench loved what Voracek did out there even though they gave him those penalties.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Nothing against the guy, but he only ever brings up stats. I agree with you. What Giroux has done tonight was off the stat sheet. You could see the fire in his eyes. He wanted this win badly. TBH, maybe that horrible turnover was a good thing. It got him pissed.

I agree with you,i feel that Roo's turnover and Jake's 4 minute penalty was a "blessing in disguise" fortthis game- they fired the heck out of the team.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Bryz sometimes have poor performances, but tonight I have nothing to say against him. He didn't steal the game, but he hasn't done anything really bad either. Played good. Who cares about the Sv%. Stats are only good to analyze when you don't watch games/don't understand anything about hockey.

Numbers don't lie. It isn't just a coincidence that Bryz is near the bottom of the list. If you saw Bryz's numbers would you think he deserves the cap hit he has?

Don't you think their are cheaper alternatives than getting sub-par goaltending at an extremely high cap hit? Numbers are just further evidence that prove why he's not a good goaltender.

He's played what: Last March and the first few games this season as a consistent goalie? Not good enough in my eyes.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Numbers don't lie. It isn't just a coincidence that Bryz is near the bottom of the list. If you saw Bryz's numbers would you think he deserves the cap hit he has?

Don't you think their are cheaper alternatives than getting sub-par goaltending at an extremely high cap hit? Numbers are just further evidence that prove why he's not a good goaltender.

He's played what: Last March and the first few games this season as a consistent goalie? Not good enough in my eyes.

We've been down that road before. It didn't work either.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Damn, missed the game.

How did Huskins and Lauridsen play?

From watching the highlights, team bailed our captain out.

I think it will do wonders for his confidence and he'll go on a point streak.

God bless Timonen.

Talbot found his scoring touch.

Zac Rinaldo is the man.

Get well soon Crosby, no more concussions please.

**** the Princess Pens.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Flyers came back from 2 down late, scored with an empty net and won it in overtime with a Fedotenko goal.

APRIL FOOLS!

Didn't really happen.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
What happened in the 3rd with Voracek? Just saw the penalty summary. :laugh:

Oleksy hit giroux. Vorabeast said enough with this point getting business I'm going to beat the **** out of that guy. He didn't take off his helmet so he got the regular instigator, instigating with a visor, fighting and a 10 minute misconduct, which is automatic with a instigating with a visor penalty I believe. 1st career regular season fight against a guy that can throw em. He got the jersey over his head and got him with a couple of haymakers, cut oleksy too he had to go back to the locker room.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Oleksy hit giroux. Vorabeast said enough with this point getting business I'm going to beat the **** out of that guy. He didn't take off his helmet so he got the regular instigator, instigating with a visor, fighting and a 10 minute misconduct, which is automatic with a instigating with a visor penalty I believe. 1st career regular season fight against a guy that can throw em. He got the jersey over his head and got him with a couple of haymakers, cut oleksy too he had to go back to the locker room.

That is awesome! I didn't see much of the game, had the in-laws over for Easter and they hijacked the TV. Got to see the exciting finish though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He stinks. It's not the defense, it's that we have a mediocre starting goaltender. I don't understand why some people can't see that. You don't post these kind of numbers unless you're an average at best goalie. And quite frankly that's being generous. If you flirt w/ below a .900 save % in your prime as a goalie, you suck.

That's fine, but it also means you must think Halak and Quick are also "average at best" goalies who suck. Because their save percentages are even lower than Bryzgalov's despite playing on better teams.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
That's fine, but it also means you must think Halak and Quick are also "average at best" goalies who suck. Because their save percentages are even lower than Bryzgalov's despite playing on better teams.

Quick? No. He's still recovering from an off-season back surgery. It's possible he never regains full range of motion / the full amount of quickness that made him so elite, but I'm willing to give a Conn Smythe winner coming off of back surgery a bit of a break, he's earned it. If he's still playing like this next year though, it's time to talk about whether he will ever truly regain his form.

Halak? He's posted 15 poor starts this season after 46 dominant starts on the same team last year. Do I think he sucks? No. Is he struggling? Yes. Will that be cause for concern if it continues? Yes. Would I say that he sucks if he reaches 30 starts and still has such a crappy save %? Yeah, probably.

The bottom line for me is that Ilya Bryzgalov has now played 92 regular season games in Orange and Black and has a save % of .906. That's not what we paid for. That's not cutting the mustard. It's not like he's been injured, it's not like this is a small little 15 game sample, this is prolonged terrible, inconsistent goaltending. When you see that and then you look over to Phoenix and see that they turned Mike Smith into a .930 save % starter last year and have LaBarbera @ .918 this year, you start to think that MAYBE, just MAYBE Ilya Bryzgalov isn't a franchise goalie. Maybe he's a system goalie who got paid big money thanks to Phoenix's defense-first system and Snider's stupid comments.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Really? Its all our defense dude. They plain suck with the exception of Timonen and Schenn and sometimes Grossmann. Bryz has never had a season with a true #1 dman in Philly. He played with Pronger early the season he got hurt. Bryz last year sucked and we still made the playoffs. This year our whole team sucks. Maybe if our ****ing team practiced shootouts Bryz would be better at stopping breakaways.

I've got news for you buddy, this defense which you claim "sucks" does a very good job at preventing shots. And they also have personnel that many teams league-wide would kill for. Buffalo for example has a horrible defensive unit, yet their goalie has no problem keeping pucks out of the back of the net. Another example of a team w/ horrible defense is Edmonton. Not a single thing even resembling a #1 on that team and the forwards are some of the least defensively responsible guys you'll ever see play together (Yak, RNH, Hall, etc.) yet their goalie has no problem keeping the puck out of the back of the net.

It's just excuse after excuse from the Bryzga-lovers. I don't know why I even try anymore. I post stats because they're the only objectionable measure of a person's performance and you all just ignore them because they don't fit with what you will your eyes so desperately into seeing. You want Bryz to be good, so you watch the games with that filter and instantly react to every goal by saying "that wasn't stoppable". And even when he gives up 4 goals per game, you will yourself into coming on here and saying he had a good game.

This defense isn't that bad. It's not anywhere close to the worst in the NHL and it's certainly not one of the all time worst defenses in NHL history, which is what it would have to be in order to justify Bryz's terrible stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad