GDT: Game #35| Mar. 31, 2013| Capitals at Flyers | 6:00 p.m. ET

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I'd say the last three goals were saveable. I don't care what anyone says .862 save % is piss poor. Goalie needs to be consistent, no consistency whatsoever from the him, especially with that brutal cap hit. Makes me sick.

He shouldn't have to make a save on the third goal. That's all on Giroux.

And the fourth goal, not many goalies make that save. No matter how much hate he gets, Ovi is still one of the most dangerous players in the NHL on the PP.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well... as long as he made one.:shakehead

He actually made a lot of saves, including some difficult ones, but looked bad on the breakaway. Like he has done all year.

Maybe you could talk about which goals tonight you think Bryz should have stopped? Now that you've already got in the save percentage comment you've been waiting all weekend to make. Having to sit on it after yesterday's .971 must have been tough.

Last edited:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
He actually made a lot of saves, including some difficult ones, but looked bad on the breakaway. Like he has done all year.

Maybe you could talk about which goals tonight you think Bryz should have stopped? Now that you've already got in the save percentage comment you've been waiting all weekend to make. Having to sit on it after yesterday's .971 must have tough.

I bet it almost ruined some people's weekends, to be honest.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Maybe you could talk about which goals tonight you think Bryz should have stopped? Now that you've already got in the save percentage comment you've been waiting all weekend to make. Having to sit on it after yesterday's .971 must have tough.

It's actually not that tough because w/ Bryz in net, you know you never have to go more than 1-2 games without a crappy effort :laugh:

The Mike Green breakaway was pathetic, his effort on the Mojo goal was pathetic, and a goalie w/ better movement could've gotten across on Ovechkin, but I don't blame him for that one. I think at least 2 of the 4 were stoppable.

I'm sure you'll just disagree, but it's the same old stuff from the Bryzga-lovers. He has the 3rd worst ES save % of any goalie getting 20+ starts. He has a worse overall save % than all of the starting goalies of the teams that allow more turnovers than us.

He stinks. It's not the defense, it's that we have a mediocre starting goaltender. I don't understand why some people can't see that. You don't post these kind of numbers unless you're an average at best goalie. And quite frankly that's being generous. If you flirt w/ below a .900 save % in your prime as a goalie, you suck.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I can only speak for myself (not WeekendAtBernies) but when Bryz is paid like an elite goaltender and puts up more games with a save % below .900, I think we have the absolute right to be discontent with him.

There is absolute no consistency with this guy, so He had one game with a .971 and then the next game a .862. I don't care how the goals are scored, he's paid the big bucks to keep the teams in games and be consistent. Two things he has not proved STILL. Add on the brutal cap it he brings, it makes me dislike what we have in our goalie even more.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It's actually not that tough because w/ Bryz in net, you know you never have to go more than 1-2 games without a crappy effort :laugh:

The Mike Green breakaway was pathetic, his effort on the Mojo goal was pathetic, and a goalie w/ better movement could've gotten across on Ovechkin, but I don't blame him for that one. I think at least 2 of the 4 were stoppable.

I'm sure you'll just disagree, but it's the same old stuff from the Bryzga-lovers. He has the 3rd worst ES save % of any goalie getting 20+ starts. He has a worse overall save % than all of the starting goalies of the teams that allow more turnovers than us.

He stinks. It's not the defense, it's that we have a mediocre starting goaltender. I don't understand why some people can't see that. You don't post these kind of numbers unless you're an average at best goalie. And quite frankly that's being generous. If you flirt w/ below a .900 save % in your prime as a goalie, you suck.

Why does everyone who backs him up after a win become a Bryz-lover? I'm honestly asking. I appreciate your insight here, I really do, and I'm not trying to come off as a dick, but I never see any sort of praise come from you or a lot of other people. I understand that he has a lot of bad games, but why not give a little credit when he does well?

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'm sorry (what a win!) but this team isn't gonna do anything in the playoffs with the personnel on defense and goaltender. This team needs a high draft pick I firmly believe.

Bryz put up sold numbers tonight. :sarcasm:

I know, I agree. This team isn't going to go far with all of the injuries, and a top pick would really help. I'm not sure the young core is good enough to win a championship, but another game breaking forward to go with Giroux would change that.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Why does everyone who backs him up after a win become a Bryz-lover? I'm honestly asking. I appreciate your insight here, I really do, and I'm not trying to come off as a dick, but I never see any sort of praise come from you or a lot of other people. I understand that he has a lot of bad games, but why not give a little credit when he does well?

Why don't I praise him? Because he doesn't deserve it. He's a cap anchor who has played like crap for the majority of his time here. Who cares if he has one good game? I root for him to succeed every game, but when the sum of his work is a pile of dog crap, I'm not going to dig through it to find one little nugget I can compliment him on.

Perhaps it's something about me, I dunno but I judge situations and people on the sum of their efforts. I'm willing to give someone a break if they had a rough start and they legitimately turn it around (Hartnell for example) but Bryz hasn't turned any kind of corner. He's the same frustratingly inconsistent goalie he was the 1st season.

If you want to praise him for every good effort, be my guest. That's your right. I just won't be joining you.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I know, I agree. This team isn't going to go far with all of the injuries, and a top pick would really help. I'm not sure the young core is good enough to win a championship, but another game breaking forward to go with Giroux would change that.

That's why I'm confused when everyone wants to make a run to the playoffs :huh:, a high draft pick this year will help us A LOT long term.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Have to say I was in disbelief after this one. Voracek's penalties should have sunk this team, but they got away with it.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
That's why I'm confused when everyone wants to make a run to the playoffs :huh:, a high draft pick this year will help us A LOT long term.

It's hard to want the team to lose lol. I don't want them to win, but I was still pissed about the Green goal, and still pumped after they won. It's just in my nature as a fan. I do hope they wind up with a top 5 pick though because I have the fear they're going to wind up stuck in mediocrity during Giroux's prime.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I'm not a Bryz-lover; I agree the goalie has been medicore, but the team defense has been abysmal all season long, in addition to being 2nd in the league in powerplays allowed. More breakaways, odd man rushes, and blown coverages than I've ever seen.

But it shows how extreme you are that when Johansson is given a shot in the slot after Giroux's turnover and he buries it, that you claim that Bryzgalov's effort was somehow pathetic. Goalies around the league get beaten in that situation all the time.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
I'd say the last three goals were saveable. I don't care what anyone says .862 save % is piss poor. Goalie needs to be consistent, no consistency whatsoever from the him, especially with that brutal cap hit. Makes me sick.

only in negadelphia ......

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What, honesty? God forbid anybody is realistic about a mediocre goaltender with an elite cap hit.

Honesty would be saying he looked bad on the breakaway and really needs to work on those, but all the goals were quality shots from prime scoring positions.

Honesty would be saying the goalie really wasn't the story tonight.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Honesty would be saying he looked bad on the breakaway and really needs to work on those, but all the goals were quality shots from prime scoring positions.

Honesty would be saying the goalie really wasn't the story tonight.

Honesty would be saying that Bryz is really bad at stopping prime scoring opportunities compared to other goalies with his cap hit.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Is too much to ask to actually look at the goals that were scored, and not just the save percentage? Tip in from point blank range, breakaway, shot in the shot from a terrible turnover, one time blast on the PP from Ovechkin.

oh, c'mon !!!
its MUCH more fun to just see 4 goals & slam the goalkie .......

who ,cares if 1 was a tip from 3 feet away. a breakaway & 2 pp goals ........ let alone the G gift & Ovi slam ........ doiesnt matter how good he was 3 on 5 in the first, or that he got 2 wins in 2 days .....

thius is negadelphia ....... were flyers goalies get the thrill of victory & the agony of reading about it afterward ;)

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Bryz sometimes have poor performances, but tonight I have nothing to say against him. He didn't steal the game, but he hasn't done anything really bad either. Played good. Who cares about the Sv%. Stats are only good to analyze when you don't watch games/don't understand anything about hockey.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Honesty would be saying that Bryz is really bad at stopping prime scoring opportunities compared to other goalies with his cap hit.

Actually, aside from breakaways, I think he stops a lot of shots from the prime scoring areas. It's the weaker goals that seem to happen when he loses concentration that pull him down below the Price/Lundqvist level he's being paid at.

But there weren't any of those tonight, so I find the herp derp sub .900 comments rather pointless.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
We can't keep loosing players like we have been, team is going to be more Phantom than Flyer soon

I think this is a positive, because it lets us see what is on the farm and hopefully gives the brass a solid assessment of their potential. Plus, sometimes the farmhands surprise and really ignite a team.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
wow..

same old on HF Flyers.

so god damn annoying..

some of these accounts on here.. the only thing they do is complain about Bryz in GDTs. come on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad