GDT: Game 35: EDM @ MTL | In-Staaled and ready to go | Mon. April 5th, 7 PM ET -- ESPN+, TSN2, RDS, SNW

Will Staal get at least 1 point tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Like I said, we'll see how it shakes out. Doesn't bother me if it's not permanent. And you're right, KK is getting some PP time which is part of the reason why I'm not that concerned. I don't think it's going to be an Eller replay.

And who knows? That line just might produce.

How many have we heard/seen this over the years though? Time after time after time have veterans been favored to kids, even those we are supposed to be focusing on. It's lead us where exactly?

Our success will run through Suzuki and KK, not Danault or a 36yo 10pt Eric Staal...I mean, come on.
That top line is not going to lead us anywhere, you keep it as a 2nd or 3rd line. They could have made a veteran 4th line with Byron-Staal-Perry, giving them around 10-12min per game.

It's just dumb because you know the top lines as built for tonight is just not going to lead us anywhere. Our only chance of reaching success is if Suzuki/KK take a step forward, it's the only way we will do some damage, but we decide to push them further down the roster.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That’s it. People are making it seem like they put KK on the 4th line to give better linemates to Luke Glendening. Staal is a quality player.

Luke Glendenning has four more points than Eric Staal this year.

Ironic that the guy you are referring too has failed to outproduce Jake Evans while playing top 6 minutes and PP time

Normally I'm on board with the narrative that coaching staff isn't developing the players. But I can't agree this season when Suzuki/KK have gotten both linemates and icetime. KK is averaging 16-17 min/game since March. Suzuki is getting 18-19.

What do you think will happen ? This is just for one game ? And then Staal will be on the fourth line? Hell be moved to the wing ?

Kotkaniemi will play 16 minutes a night while playing with two AHLers ? Staal will play 10 minutes a night with Toffoli? Suzuki maybe? Or is it our lord and saviour Danault ?

Oh wait everyone will play 16 minutes ? Is this how it works? Ducharme will now be known as a time bender.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How many have we heard/seen this over the years though? Time after time after time have veterans been favored to kids, even those we are supposed to be focusing on. It's lead us where exactly?

Our success will run through Suzuki and KK, not Danault or a 36yo 10pt Eric Staal...I mean, come on.
That top line is not going to lead us anywhere, you keep it as a 2nd or 3rd line. They could have made a veteran 4th line with Byron-Staal-Perry, giving them around 10-12min per game.

It's just dumb because you know the top lines as built for tonight is just not going to lead us anywhere. Our only chance of reaching success is if Suzuki/KK take a step forward, it's the only way we will do some damage, but we decide to push them further down the roster.
Like I said, I don't like it if it's a long term move. I'm going to wait and see on this.

Don't forget, Caufield will probably see some time soon... who knows how it all shakes out? And I'm glad KK is getting PP time.

Reactions: Subban signed e5

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Like I said, I don't like it if it's a long term move. I'm going to wait and see on this.

Don't forget, Caufield will probably see some time soon... who knows how it all shakes out? And I'm glad KK is getting PP time.
How can you be so naive after so many years of watching this team?

How is it not a long term move ? This is a move for the last 20 games and the POs, if thats not longterm what is it ?

Reactions: Edgy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How can you be so naive after so many years of watching this team?

How is it not a long term move ? This is a move for the last 20 games and the POs, if thats not longterm what is it ?
Therrien was a terrible coach. What happened with him isn't going to happen with all of our coaches. CJ (for whatever reason) just didn't seem to like KK. That was never going to click.

Since DD has come over though, KK has gotten more opportunity and he's been better overall. It's apples and oranges.

That being said, let's wait and see what happens here.

Reactions: gillyguzzler

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I get the argument that taking a natural finisher off Kotkaniemis' line at this point is a controversial move.

The level of hysteria though is something else.
I think it's called "chat échaudé craint l'eau froide." Not hysteria. At least, if I read Twitter right now (15 is trending number one in Mtl because of this controversial, yet expected decision), not just this forum, it's a lot like Groundhog Day for many fans.

I expect 12 minutes for KK including PP ( and even then, wouldn't be surprised to eventually see Staal take his spot on the boards).

This scenario would be catastrophic for this team. As much as it wants to have the kool-aid drinkers and their PR people (beat writers) believe it, this is not a contender. Staal is an asset, but as a 4th liner.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Why wait and see..would you wager anything on this working? We know it's not going to be good enough.

Reactions: habsfan891

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Therrien was a terrible coach. What happened with him isn't going to happen with all of our coaches. CJ (for whatever reason) just didn't seem to like KK. That was never going to click.

Since DD has come over though, KK has gotten more opportunity and he's been better overall. It's apples and oranges.

That being said, let's wait and see what happens here.
He did have more opportunities, and he did very well with them.

And now all of this is out the window because the Habs acquire noted first line center, uh I mean, 10 pts in 35 games center, Eric Staal.

I don't understand your reasoning. Do you think that in a few games, Staal will go back to the fourth line? Do you think he will move to the wing?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think it's called "chat échaudé craint l'eau froide." Not hysteria. At least, if I read Twitter right now (15 is trending number one in Mtl because of this controversial, yet expected decision), not just this forum, it's a lot like Groundhog Day for many fans.

I expect 12 minutes for KK including PP ( and even then, wouldn't be surprised to eventually see Staal take his spot on the boards).

This scenario would be catastrophic for this team. As much as it wants to have the kool-aid drinkers and their PR people (beat writers) believe it, this is not a contender. Staal is an asset, but as a 4th liner.
We've definitely been burned by this before. I get people being upset. I just think it's too early to know what's going to happen longterm. I'm in wait and see mode.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Why wait and see..would you wager anything on this working? We know it's not going to be good enough.
Because I'm not sure of the reasoning. Maybe he wants to get Staal going right away. Maybe he wants to see if KK can carry that line. I don't know his rationale yet.
He did have more opportunities, and he did very well with them.

And now all of this is out the window because the Habs acquire noted first line center, uh I mean, 10 pts in 35 games center, Eric Staal.

I don't understand your reasoning. Do you think that in a few games, Staal will go back to the fourth line? Do you think he will move to the wing?
If we take KK off the PP, then I'll be upset. If this turns into a long term thing, then I'll be upset.

One game? Not thrilled with it but I'm not going to worry yet.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Irrelevant...if he sits Danault the owner will walk into his luxury box w a machete and cut off his balls!

It’s a business first and foremost. Which is why there have been exactly 1-trade (Staal) in the 3-weeks leading up to the deadline. Every single NHL owner wants guaranteed $...right now
Okay great, it's a business. So why not drop Danault down to the 4th line and have one of the other 3 centers take his spot? Why does it have to be a signed young developing player? Phil D is going to free agency, why is he priority over one of the other 2?

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Because I'm not sure of the reasoning. Maybe he wants to get Staal going right away. Maybe he wants to see if KK can carry that line. I don't know his rationale yet.

If we take KK off the PP, then I'll be upset. If this turns into a long term thing, then I'll be upset.

One game? Not thrilled with it but I'm not going to worry yet.
You have been saying this for 3 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad