GDT: Game 34 - Islanders @ Avalanche - Insert Island Pun Here - 7PM

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
you guys shouldnt have any problem with an unwanted visitor , i took care of it .
Just do like you did and report him/them, if you have more "disturbance in the force"

tenor.gif

Reactions: nightonthesun

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The other lines chip in here and there but I dont remember them actually winning the game when the 1st line is struggling

We have 13 goals from secondary scoring in the last 10 games. It's not amazing, but it's better than people make it out to be.

Also we haven't been great as a team for nearly 10 games now.

Secondary scoring is obviously something we need to focus on, but we finished a 48 point season just a year and a half ago. Now people are pissed that we aren't contending for a cup.

The avs are way ahead of the curve on this rebuild. We are top 4 or 5 in goals for this year, and have the top line in the league.

Need to solidify our D, and grab a couple peices for the 2nd line.

It's been a bad stretch, but when you look at the big picture, the Avs are doing amazingly well.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We have 13 goals from secondary scoring in the last 10 games. It's not amazing, but it's better than people make it out to be.

Also we haven't been great as a team for nearly 10 games now.

Secondary scoring is obviously something we need to focus on, but we finished a 48 point season just a year and a half ago. Now people are pissed that we aren't contending for a cup.

The avs are way ahead of the curve on this rebuild. We are top 4 or 5 in goals for this year, and have the top line in the league.

Need to solidify our D, and grab a couple peices for the 2nd line.

It's been a bad stretch, but when you look at the big picture, the Avs are doing amazingly well.
This are all valid points, but there is still no reason to lose to Isles at home when you're the better team.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Uh boy...uh...Jared, Galleria of Jewelry needs to seriously shake up this lineup. It's just not working as is. You have the team's second best weapon outside the top line stuffed into a checking role and the youngsters simply aren't getting it done with a rotating cast of veteran wingers. I'm once again getting frustrated with his overly-conservative approach. About the ONLY thing he tried different was putting Wilson on Soderberg's line.

I thought Varly was okay. Not great by any means, but okay.

Hopefully they start playing like they did in November

Well, they're certainly playing like they did when November STARTED...

I'll just close by saying, those of you who still drink the Haterade for Dries, get a grip on reality. Dude had one of the better games of any Avs forward tonight, created a couple scoring chance against a team that doesn't give up many of them drew a penalty in the closing minutes when the rest of the team was fizzling into nothingness, and executed himself well in a limited 4th line role. Oh, and I should add he got those chances playing with the team's worst offensive foward by a country mile.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The goalie decision next game will be interesting. I think if Bednar goes with Varly again then he just has zero confidence in Grubauer at this point. Varly has been given every opportunity to work through this slump and he has responded by letting the team down game after game. Grubauer hasn't been great either but he also hasn't had this long of a leash.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This are all valid points, but there is still no reason to lose to Isles at home when you're the better team.

I'm not certain they are the better team. They sport the league's 4th-best offense (or many 3rd, I can't remember what the blurb said) while the Isles are the league's 3rd-best defensive team in terms of shots given up. Something had to give, and unfortunately, it was the Avs.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The goalie decision next game will be interesting. I think if Bednar goes with Varly again then he just has zero confidence in Grubauer at this point. Varly has been given every opportunity to work through this slump and he has responded by letting the team down game after game. Grubauer hasn't been great either but he also hasn't had this long of a leash.

We already know it's gonna be Grubauer, don't we?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs have allowed 33 goals in the last 7 games. Can't really outscore that, no matter how potent the first line is. Goaltending needs to be better as does defense.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
They've had some really weird games lately.

It's pretty obvious we don't have any star forwards past our first line. Compher and soderberg have been good, but it's more of a bonus when they score than something that can be counted on.

Johnson's play is very concerning, and Barrie has been dreadful at times lately. It seems like all the other team has to do is rush Barrie and he will cough up the puck.

Varly is fighting a mental battle aswell.

Oh well, it's game 34 not 74.

Reactions: the_fan

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014

Mebbe, except one thing is glaringly missing in this team. Grit. There is a diff between grit and hair on fire. This team lacks grit. It ends up as emotions. And not the good kind.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Mebbe, except one thing is glaringly missing in this team. Grit. There is a diff between grit and hair on fire. This team lacks grit. It ends up as emotions. And not the good kind.

Yah I dunno. The bottom 9 cycle pretty well and do well in the corners. Z is good for a big hit every game. I wouldn't say we lack grit.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
For the Avs it’s not so much the actual production of the secondary players, it’s their ability to consistently make positive plays. There’s a lot of opportunistic scoring, but it’s not often that there’s a reliable second offence line to create pressure.
This nails it on the head. The consistency of the bottom 9 is trash. Most games seem like the first line goes out has a good shift, then it's followed by 3 bad shifts from the bottom 9 with no pressure on the other team to lose all momentum created by the top line. Then rinse and repeat, with the rare tolerable shift from the bottom 9 mixed in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad