GDT: Game 34 - Islanders @ Avalanche - Insert Island Pun Here - 7PM

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I also do wish Bednar would play the 4th line more. Not that they're world beaters, but I don't want the top line getting absolutely drained over the course of this season, especially later on in games.

Last night, every Islanders forward played more than 13 minutes except for three: Matt Martin (12:52 TOI), Josh Ho-Sang (12:13 TOI), and Brock Nelson (11:54 TOI). They also didn't have a single forward play more than 17:00 minutes.

We had three players playing less than 11:00 minutes last night (Greer, Bourque, Wilson), and had four players with more than 21:00 minutes (MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Compher).

We obviously need the top line playing more than anyone in order to succeed, but there has to be some sort of balance, especially during stretches when maybe the top line isn't clicking and/or looks tired.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That 2nd line was abysmal defensively. Got hemmed in on more than a couple occasions.

Again, I don't see the issue with at least trying Kerfoot (assuming he's good to go) and Jost with Soderberg and Compher with the speedy no-scorers. I don't think it'd be much of a drop-off at all defensively and I guarantee it would be more effective offensively. And that third line should still be effective.

That leaves a 4th line of Wilson-Dries-Andrighetto which should be just fine in limited minutes. In fact it might even generate the odd goal or two. I know Ghetto isn't great as a 4th liner but there's just nowhere else to put him right now.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Overplaying Cole is playing with fire and the coaches need to get a handle on that if they want to get the best out of him. He's also the type to get mouthy about his minutes, though.

Reactions: Waingro

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wow. Kinda surprised on that. Figured he might get a game for that.

Same here. He stuck his leg out a little at the last second and went knee to knee. I like Cole but that kind of hit should be automatic at least a game IMO. Even if it was reactionary and there was no injury.

As we've seen, those hits can take a player out for a full season and completely change a team's season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hes already starting to show signs of crashing. Hes had some terrible showings since the Pens game.

Yeah for the last 5-7 games or so. He's been making some defensive mistakes, and poor puck management decisions that he wasn't earlier in the year.

I know that Bednar had some hiccups with Z, and they're risking him taking a bad penalty, but IMO they've got to give him more than the 15:57 in ice time he's been averaging. Cole's averaging 20:26. That's too much this early in the season with how physically punishing those minutes are that Cole plays. They should both be somewhere around 17-18 minutes I think.

Some of it should come on the PK. Barberio has averaged almost a full minute more than Z on the PK. That doesn't make sense to me. They should be grooming Z to become a big time PKer. If he keeps developing and hits his potential, the PK would be a big part of his role.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Couple other observations--it's clear Nate just doesn't trust his shot at all right now. I noticed he's veered away from it since a few point blank chances didn't go in, either by way of dumb luck or good goaltending, and you can tell he's frustrated as all hell. I'm pretty sure he even slammed his stick blade on the ice in (I think) the Stars game. He's forcing the pass WAY too much right now, and that weird turnover that led to the empty netter just makes me think he's in a slump of his own. It happens...

Also, I find it utterly hilarious that Nemeth right now REFUSES to pass it. He skated it up last night and I swear at least a couple guys were calling for it...nope, even with clear passing lanes he took it to the blue line and rifled it in. :laugh:

Tell ya the truth I kinda wish EJ would do that more. He made at least a couple passes last night that resulted in turnovers.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Couple other observations--it's clear Nate just doesn't trust his shot at all right now. I noticed he's veered away from it since a few point blank chances didn't go in, either by way of dumb luck or good goaltending, and you can tell he's frustrated as all hell. I'm pretty sure he even slammed his stick blade on the ice in (I think) the Stars game. He's forcing the pass WAY too much right now, and that weird turnover that led to the empty netter just makes me think he's in a slump of his own. It happens...

Also, I find it utterly hilarious that Nemeth right now REFUSES to pass it. He skated it up last night and I swear at least a couple guys were calling for it...nope, even with clear passing lanes he took it to the blue line and rifled it in. :laugh:

Tell ya the truth I kinda wish EJ would do that more. He made at least a couple passes last night that resulted in turnovers.

He should know that the best way to get out of it is to continue to shoot it. I was happy when he had 4 shots in the first period thinking that hes going back to shoot first mentality. Then in the second on the 2 on 1 when he tries to foppa it across to Landy I was pissed. That fan shot on the ENG couldnt have helped his confidence any in terms of his shot. Hes gotta find a way out of this because this team and that line needs him to be the shooter. You kinda can tell his confidence is shot when he has a step on a defender and then button hooks looking for help. Nathan Mackinnon of last season was not looking for help he drove that puck to the net just ask Aaron Ekblad.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He should know that the best way to get out of it is to continue to shoot it. I was happy when he had 4 shots in the first period thinking that hes going back to shoot first mentality. Then in the second on the 2 on 1 when he tries to foppa it across to Landy I was pissed. That fan shot on the ENG couldnt have helped his confidence any in terms of his shot. Hes gotta find a way out of this because this team and that line needs him to be the shooter. You kinda can tell his confidence is shot when he has a step on a defender and then button hooks looking for help. Nathan Mackinnon of last season was not looking for help he drove that puck to the net just ask Aaron Ekblad.

It blows my mind hes #2 in the NHL is shots. I think he is king of the get it on net and get a FO right now.

Reactions: Waingro

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I was thinking the exact same thing. He had like four shots in the first couple minutes of the first period. I thought he was gonna end up with a hat trick. Then he totally changed up his approach and started forcing passes and turning a few pucks over.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It'd be nice if he could win some of those ****ing FO's as well...just sayin'...:xcheers:

They basically use Landy as the go to face-off guy now. He might be their best guy. They lobby to have the draw on the left side for him all the time.

Whether it's Mikko, Nate, or Barrie, it seems like many of the shots come from the right side though, so when they stay out there Nate takes a lot of the draws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad