GDT: Game 34 - Islanders @ Avalanche - Insert Island Pun Here - 7PM

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
First line must be real tired of getting so little help from the 2nd line. Soda alone is better than the 2nd line. We can't count on them. At all.
The secondary scoring has been a lot better in the last 15 games. We missed a ton of chances and hit some posts. Shit happens. It wasn't our night.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Ok...... get a goddamn grip people.

Credit the Isles for a good defensive game.

Some game-of-inches moments that could have completely changed the way the game played out tn.

If I'm Bednar, I'm looking at tape of the first half of the 1st, and asking my team: "why the **** did this not continue?"
Yes get a grip. Man itsitdepressing to read this thread lol

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Isles played great defensively, Varly and the defense shit the bed. And for some reason Isles fans can’t just take the W without bitching about the refs.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I know it's not gonna happen this year, but this team really needs forward depth. I dont think I've watched a game this year so far where they won a game without their top line scoring bunch of points.

Without a 2nd line and good depth up front, this is what happens, its a recipe for disaster. 1st line only gets couple of points, they lose a game. Next season Sakic really needs to start building a 2nd line, depending who they draft with Sens and their pick, trades or FA signings. You just cant win with one line in this league

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Pathetic doesnt even do this justice.

1. Mackinnon needs to get it through his head that he is the gunner. Nobody has a better shot on this team. The one timer is a weapon in his toolbox yet he refuses to use it ever. Mikko Rantanen has scored more one timer goals this season im sure of it. A terrible game from Mackinnon overall.

2. Mikko was invisible tonight. Couldnt do much of anything right. Fanned on pucks, off balance lost every puck battle. Not good tonight and needs to be better next game.

3. Jost had a good game I felt. Moving his feet again just not creating enough 5 on 5 for my liking.

4. Erik Johnson sucks. He really does. He looks gassed after every shift. I didnt like him on the PK tonight at all.

5. Get Bork off this f***in team already or atleast stop pretending hes compotent defensively. News flash hes not good there either. You can blame him on both PP goals against tonight in some way.

6. This teams lack of depth really shows when someone gets injured. Kerfoot gets hurt and all a sudden it doesnt look like they can hockey.

7. Cant fault Varly tonight but he cant seem to make that save that keeps us in or close or watever the f***. Play Grubauer here for a few and lets see if he can bring respect back between the pipes.

8. Seems we are more comfortable on the road this season than at home. Yah. topsy turvy shit with this team. Last year almost unbeatable at home shit on the road. This season well over .500 on the road and mediocre at home. I guess next season is when shit evens out.

9. Didnt like Girards game tonight. He needs to get back to moving the puck faster.

10. Andrighetto had a solid game tonight and apart from Landy and Jost might have been our best forward. Sad but true.

Reactions: S E P H and LOFIN

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I know it's not gonna happen this year, but this team really needs forward depth. I dont think I've watched a game this year so far where they won a game without their top line scoring bunch of points.

Without a 2nd line and good depth up front, this is what happens, its a recipe for disaster. 1st line only gets couple of points, they lose a game. Next season Sakic really needs to start building a 2nd line, depending who they draft with Sens and their pick, trades or FA signings. You just cant win with one line in this league

They aren't a 1 line team, and if you actually watch them play and you think that, then you should pay attention.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
There we go again. Mack fans and loses the play and just GIVES UP. ****ing joke when he does that. Grow up kid

It has been really aggravating when MacK stops skating. He is, is he turning into a whiner?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sucks to see another L but man the Avs absolutely dominated that game so we shouldn't be too bummed out.
Hell, Trotz went complete Trotz the moment they took the lead and the Avs still managed to get 18 high danger chances to NYI's 6.

Mackinnon managed a ridiculous 84% CF 5v5. Seemed like he had the puck the entire game.

If Varly managed to mix in a save or two and this may have been a different game.

Mediocre goaltending is completely f***ing us over right now. I'm sorry but you shouldn't have to play either a flawless game, or score 4-6 goals to win every night. Especially not when spending 6M on a starter and 3M on a backup.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Pathetic doesnt even do this justice.

1. Mackinnon needs to get it through his head that he is the gunner....

10. Andrighetto had a solid game tonight and apart from Landy and Jost might have been our best forward. Sad but true.

Yet again, top shelf analysis.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Luck is just a much bigger factor in Hockey than a sport like basketball. Avs were the better team tonight. Move forward and get ready for the next one

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Just bad. Simply no excuse for what happened tonight. You let a below average team come into your house and push you around. Just pathetic.

As for MacK and Rantanen worst games if the year by a country mile. Rantanen was invisible not his best effort and MacK was the overly emotional guy who when one thing doesn't go right it snowballs into a game of miscues and frustrations. I don't expect that to last long, I fully expect him to come in a dominate our next opponents, he is just too good. Could have easily had a 3 pts night had few things went his way. Even the best have games they'd like to forget for those two that would be tonight.

As for the bigger problem, still absolutely no secondary scoring. If the top line doesn't have a 7+point night, we aren't winning. How different would this game been had we gotten 2 goals from 2-4th line players? We shut down the Barzal line just fine but they got some help from others. We didn't, when they did a good job on our top guys.

This is a major problem and it's just going to get worse as teams starting playing tighter the second half of the year. We are going to need some consistent offensive help. And honestly not sure where it's going to come from.

As for goaltending, not sure what to say other than it's a real weak point right now. Grubauer deserves his shot, don't have much faith in him, but he deserves a few games with the way Varly has played. If he can't get it going, then maybe it's time for Francouz.

But honestly right now this team is an utter mess, unless the to guys go off. It sucks to say this but it falls on Sakic for not addressing the clear hole we have for a 2nd line. We have two of the top 5 players in the world at the moment on the team but we are fighting for a playoff spot because we a have little after that. When you have two guys like that you should be fighting for the president's trophy trophy. But the team is mediocre to below average outside like 6 guys.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Luck is just a much bigger factor in Hockey than a sport like basketball. Avs were the better team tonight. Move forward and get ready for the next one
This was not a game based on luck. Avs didn't have enough passion in their game, Greiss > Varly and Islanders did a better team effort in PK and other wise. Better team won hands down.

Reactions: Konk

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sucks to see another L but man the Avs absolutely dominated that game so we shouldn't be too bummed out.
Hell, Trotz went complete Trotz the moment they took the lead and the Avs still managed to get 18 high danger chances to NYI's 6.

Mackinnon managed a ridiculous 84% CF 5v5. Seemed like he had the puck the entire game.

If Varly managed to mix in a save or two and this may have been a different game.
This is truth. Just not our night, move on to the next one. A bit of puck luck and that could have been way different.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Cross ice passes in our own zone to wide open players seem to be our biggest problem right now. We need to rethink our D zone scheme and work on covering passing lanes. It's true Varly hasn't been good, but not everything is his fault.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Cross ice passes in our own zone to wide open players seem to be our biggest problem right now. We need to rethink our D zone scheme and work on covering passing lanes. It's true Varly hasn't been good, but not everything is his fault.

No not everything is his fault. But he hasn’t played a game where’s he’s let in 3 or less goals in what seems like forever. He’s got to make some big timely saves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad