GDT: Game 33 | Penguins vs Ducks | 12.17 7PM EST | Winter Wonderland (Mod Warning Post #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
JMFJ and Oleksiak both just played over 21min and 22min, respectively. If they were upset enough with their play enough to healthy scratch them, wouldn't they have seen less ice time last game?

I'll believe this one when I see something official from the Penguins.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Seems y'all got duped by some dumb reporters.
If Tanger plays, Rig will be sat and thats the correct choice.

ETA: JJ is no doubt capable of a bad game but the MP-JJ pairing has been good to pretty good since being put together. The Olli-Rig pairing blew chunks.

They're aren't gonna sit either Olli nor JJ anytime soon who've been a go to PK'ing duo. A, believe it or not, good one too.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
JMFJ and Oleksiak both just played over 21min and 22min, respectively. If they were upset enough with their play enough to healthy scratch them, wouldn't they have seen less ice time last game?

I'll believe this one when I see something official from the Penguins.

If they're scratching Johnson, I'm going to guess that they're shopping at least one of Maatta or Oleksiak.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And I'll keep posting my warning in a few pages of this thread just so we are all aware. I do not want anyone sending me a private message asking why they got thread banned.

We can definitely discuss a nice play by Sprong and/or bad one. The thing we won't do is go so far down the rabbit hole of making it all about Sprong.

Same thing with Gifs. We can use some. It's not excluded. We just have to be aware of the size of the gifs/pictures we are using. If it's too big, don't post it. And let's not go ham (i'm guilty) of like 5-10 gifs at a time. Let's throw a few in there that work and have fun, but also respect the users who are trying to follow the GDT because they are stuck at some bull**** wedding or work event. :laugh:

Throwing this out there for tomorrow's build and the GDT. @DegenX @BHD and myself are going to be a lot more strict with the Sprong nonsense going on all over the board. In addition, let's tone some of the gifs down. We can use 'em for the GDT, but try to keep in mind the size of the pictures/gifs you are using. If they are too big, they will be deleted. It bogs down any mobile users.

Just a reminder. Please read this as we enter closer to game time. Please keep it easy on Degen, BHD, and myself tonight.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
There is no point in trading Riikola, he won't be traded. You'd never get anything worthwhile for him since you just signed him.
I agree that he shouldn't be traded. I'm not sure I agree that he has no value. He was a sought after, young FA who has since shown he's NHL caliber. He's probably worth more to the Pens than what they'd get back but they could get something for him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
No, we'll likely hear about it within an hour though.

I just learned that the Director of Pro Scouting for Winnipeg was scouting the last 2 Penguins games, after Guerin was sent to scout Winnipeg a week or 2 ago. Something worth throwing out.
that was good games for them to see.....get the price up :)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You shouldn't be equating Maatta and JJ because they're really not equal. It's one of Oleksiak or Johnson if you're going by recent play, both are physical defenseman who can't produce and struggle defensively.

Maatta's been worse than JJ lately but he's also had a less reliable defensive partner.

I'd have probably scratched Maatta before JJ, but as long as one of them's gone I'm not gonna quibble. It's a good first step because those two have been the worst defensemen on the team and escaped HS for too long because of their healthy contracts.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
that was good games for them to see.....get the price up :)

Wasn't a great game if they were looking at Brassard, seeing how he was last in ES TOI in one game and horrid in the other game.

Maatta's been worse than JJ lately but he's also had a less reliable defensive partner.

I'd have probably scratched Maatta before JJ, but as long as one of them's gone I'm not gonna quibble. It's a good first step because those two have been the worst defensemen on the team and escaped HS for too long because of their healthy contracts.

Actually yeah, I'd agree with that. I was going to argue it, but seeing how Maatta is statistically worse literally everywhere...yeah, there isn't much to argue there :laugh:

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
So just to be clear, the only things that are allowed to be discussed in the GDT are hockey items in relation to the game itself, more specifically the Pens players and the coaching?

So no talk about pizza joints, poutine, new movie reviews, music genres, etc?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tbh I hope Sprong is a -5 tonight and the Penguins win 9-1. Or Sprong is a +1 when the Penguins win 9-1.

I actually don't like rooting against ex-Pens that had no control of their time here. I like Sheary, Wilson, Whitney, Hags, and definitely Sprong. I hope he has a long NHL career. There was no bad blood and the guy never said he was dying alive. :laugh: Actually mega credit to him, he never bitched and was given 2-4 minutes a night.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So just to be clear, the only things that are allowed to be discussed in the GDT are hockey items in relation to the game itself, more specifically the Pens players and the coaching?

Some moderate OT talk is fine. This is a game day thread. Game days usually have people ordering pizza or stuff like that. Hell we had a great discussion of pizza in the Steelers game day thread.

Definitely no drug talk, though. That's in the policy. 0 tolerance.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually don't like rooting against ex-Pens that had no control of their time here. I like Sheary, Wilson, Whitney, Hags, and definitely Sprong. I hope he has a long NHL career. There was no bad blood and the guy never said he was dying alive. :laugh: Actually mega credit to him, he never *****ed and was given 2-4 minutes a night.

My comment was more so a comment of "I don't care what he does tonight as long as my team wins". Whether he gets the only goal and is a +1 or if he is individually responsible for 5 goals against doesn't really matter to me, outside of me messing with people in the Sprong thread after the game :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My comment was more so a comment of "I don't care what he does tonight as long as my team wins". Whether he gets the only goal and is a +1 or if he is individually responsible for 5 goals against doesn't really matter to me, outside of me messing with people in the Sprong thread after the game :laugh:

Oh then I definitely agree. I just want the Pens to win. That's literally all I care about. I'm actually very happy DeSmith is in goal. He earned the net until much further notice. IMO until he loses 2 in a row, that's his net. And it would have to be accompanied by a poor performance.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

don't you take my pizza from me :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad