GDT: Game 33 | Penguins vs Ducks | 12.17 7PM EST | Winter Wonderland (Mod Warning Post #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I disagree, strongly even. The guy EARNED the #1 spot by winning TWO cups. An injury and a hot back up shouldn't send him to the bench playing only back-to-back until the other guy cools down.

Split starts for a few weeks and then make a call.

Maybe I am being too loyal, but these guys are human beings. You have to help Murray build his confidence. Show him the respect he earned. We let Fleury go to commit to Murray (ok, we kinda had to). Honor that commitment. If Murray doesn't rebound, we are going no where. I love what CDS has done for us, but he is not the guy to win us anything.
He's 1 season and change from winning those cups. He had an average season last year, and a terrible start this year before the injury. This team, with our position in the playoff race, CAN NOT afford to be loyal to him right now. We need to win games. Period.

If he plays better, he'll get his starting job back. If you think he has the ability to do it, then you shouldn't worry about that happening.

If we were sitting pretty in 1st in our division, and Murray had played lights out before getting hurt, then yeah, you'd have a leg to stand on. As it stands, you're way off base.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hopefully it won't be too expensive to pay Seattle to take Johnson.

Scratching a player making more than 3 mil at a position we're already weak at, that ain't gonna work for a team trying to contend and spends to the cap.
Seattle doesn't start until 2021, we're gonna need to get rid of him a long time before that.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
He's 1 season and change from winning those cups. He had an average season last year, and a terrible start this year before the injury. This team, with our position in the playoff race, CAN NOT afford to be loyal to him right now. We need to win games. Period.

If he plays better, he'll get his starting job back. If you think he has the ability to do it, then you shouldn't worry about that happening.

If we were sitting pretty in 1st in our division, and Murray had played lights out before getting hurt, then yeah, you'd have a leg to stand on. As it stands, you're way off base.

Murray played well on Saturday, he earned another start. That's how it works with starters. Not saying he should start today because CDS also earned starts, all I am saying is that he HAS to play more than once a week.

Thing is, it is December, we are not in "trouble". I am not saying to give Murray a pass when he has bad starts. Just saying he needs to be given a chance to win the net back and you do not do that by using him like a back up. Unless you think CDS can establish himself as the starter. If that's the case, it is a hole different ballgame and it will be managed differently.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
I say this with all due respect to the mod warnings and with no intention to derail any discussion. But the trade of a certain individual just weighs too heavily on my mind to not influence what I hope to see from this game. I’ve stuck with this team for almost twenty years now, so this isn’t the first time I’ve been disappointed by a trade or terrible coach, goalie, or entire team...and stuck with the team regardless.

I cheered for Jagr on every team since he was traded because of what he brought to the team, and because he was dazzling to watch. I end up being fans of indivual players much like I’m a fan of my team, even if my first loyalty is to the team.

I’ll cheer for this individual player to have success because of what he could have brought, and all the time I spent following him and hoping to see him given a chance. For his own sake, as he’s trying to finally have a stable NHL role, I hope he does well tonight.

Other than that I just want us to win, and I’m curious to see if JJ really would be scratched and if we’d actually be better for it given the rest of the shitshow on defense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I HATE when fans go "See! I told you so!" about players or whatever, but the JJ stuff deserves it. At the absolute best, the patient posters here were skeptical but would at least see it play out. It took less than half a year for this signing to be a debacle and it is for FIVE YEARS. :laugh: I remember being pissed when it was 3 years. FIVE YEARS. This dude was a healthy scratch last year and he deserves to be one this year, although Maatta/Oleksiak probably deserve it more.

It's insanity. :laugh: I don't want to bull**** around with the "SEE! I AM A KEYBOARD WARRIOR AND SHOULD BE GM!" type nonsense, but everyone and their grandmother knew this one was bad. It's rare to get an entire fan base to agree on something and the absolute nicest thing anyone said about that JJ signing is "well **** it.. it's done. I'll wait and see I guess."

The weird thing here is that I don't think Johnson is being scratched based on his play, so the "See! I told you so!" claims don't work here. +/- is a garbage stat, but he's +6 in his last 7 games and has only been on the ice for 2 goals in those 7 games. I don't disagree that he has been bad at ES this year (I think he has been good on special teams tho), but the question is just why now? Why are you scratching him now, after he has played pretty well with Pettersson, and not when he was actually playing bad?

It's just confusing and it makes as little sense as scratching Oleksiak when they did. I guess I just have concerns about their ability to evaluate defensemen if they're scratching players when they're doing well and keeping them in when they're not playing well.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Murray has the 2nd worse sv% (54 of 55) among goalies with at least 10 games played. CDS is 8th. I'm ok with riding CDS a bit more until Murray can prove the net is his. He has to earn it.

Reactions: Badfish87

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The weird thing here is that I don't think Johnson is being scratched based on his play, so the "See! I told you so!" claims don't work here. +/- is a garbage stat, but he's +6 in his last 7 games and has only been on the ice for 2 goals in those 7 games. I don't disagree that he has been bad at ES this year (I think he has been good on special teams tho), but the question is just why now? Why are you scratching him now, after he has played pretty well with Pettersson, and not when he was actually playing bad?

It's just confusing and it makes as little sense as scratching Oleksiak when they did. I guess I just have concerns about their ability to evaluate defensemen if they're scratching players when they're doing well and keeping them in when they're not playing well.
I think he’s been pretty bad and that CDS has made his plus minus look way more flattering than it should. He probably would have been scratched Saturday, but Letang died.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m not sure where everyone is getting that JJ is scratched...it was first reported he was on a fourth pairing with Ruh but then it was corrected...he was rotating in practice with Olek playing with MP...so Olek might be the one scratched tonight....

Also, it’s TIOPS so take this for what it’s worth, but he’s saying that JR and Sullivan disagree about Riikola...JR wants him to play more and Sullivan doesn’t....if true, sounds like I’ve seen this movie before....

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Em8AtS5.gif

Horny is ready with his new special helmet so he doesn't get hurt again.

MOD WARNING:

Regarding Daniel Sprong: If it is not happening in real time it does not belong in the game day thread. If you fail to stay on topic you will be thread banned. If you complain about your ban you will be infracted. If you complain about your infraction you will be infracted (again) and forum banned. In addition, the Harry Potter 'He Who Shall Not Be Named' references aren't as funny as you think they are. They will earn you a thread ban as well.

Finally, check the size of your image or gif before posting. If it is over 800 pixels in size it's probably going to be deleted. The hamster can only take so much.

What? That's nonsense.

We're all here to see how well Ryan Whitney plays for them.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think he’s been pretty bad and that CDS has made his plus minus look way more flattering than it should. He probably would have been scratched Saturday, but Letang died.

I think that's fair to say, his possession stats are horrendously bad even when he hasn't been getting scored on. But my comment was more so that earlier in the year, he had horrendously bad possession stats and was also getting scored on, so why was he not scratched then but scratched now? His GA numbers aren't sustainable, but he's also on a good run right now. Why yank him out when he's not getting scored on, instead of when he was bleeding goals?

I’m not sure where everyone is getting that JJ is scratched...it was first reported he was on a fourth pairing with Ruh but then it was corrected...he was rotating in practice with Olek playing with MP...so Olek might be the one scratched tonight....

Also, it’s TIOPS so take this for what it’s worth, but he’s saying that JR and Sullivan disagree about Riikola...JR wants him to play more and Sullivan doesn’t....if true, sounds like I’ve seen this movie before....

TIOPS hasn't been right with anything for years, I don't know why anyone cites them as a legitimate source. I also haven't seen anyone saying that Oleksiak and Johnson were rotating in the morning skate.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
In back to back situations, it's generally wise to not start the same goalie because you don't want to fatigue them for later in the year.
The goalie selection was fine this weekend and they are wisely going back to riding CDS until he proves to be no longer hot
Oh, for sure. I wasn't saying they should have done something different this last weekend. Just with the way CDS is going, I think sitting 5 days (if he weren't to play tonight) is too long and more likely to cool him off.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think that's fair to say, his possession stats are horrendously bad even when he hasn't been getting scored on. But my comment was more so that earlier in the year, he had horrendously bad possession stats and was also getting scored on, so why was he not scratched then but scratched now? His GA numbers aren't sustainable, but he's also on a good run right now. Why yank him out when he's not getting scored on, instead of when he was bleeding goals?

The same reason Reaves got so many games when Sullivan would barely play him and why Hunwick got games when he was horrendous. It eventually ended with those two. It looks like Hunwick’s first HS was Jan 2nd after 24 games (injuries limited him, he was scratched after the 40th game of the season) and Reaves’ was Jan 23rd after 49 games.

If he is healthy scratched then getting scored on less hasn’t undone what he did before or other than not getting scored on they’re still unhappy with him. Probably because they think his recent GA stat is in spite of him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’m not giving up on JJ. Scuds and Lovejoy once proved to be valuable to a cup run, so you never know.

I think he’s doing ok as a bottom pairing guy. Just once again, very disappointed in his offense, or absence of it I should say.

CBJ fans did say he wasn’t anywhere close to an offensive blueliner, or even a good puck mover, so I did have some heads up about his game, despite what the Pens tried to sell us about him.

Props to you for holding it down. The Lovejoy example is one of those why I stopped exuding emotion at a trade and just started to analyze what I see. The Lovejoy for Despres trade was so bad and in all it's awfulness turned out to be amazing. Lovejoy had one of the best runs i've seen in the playoffs. Despres unfortunately kept a concussion to himself, ended up with another one, and ruined his career. It actually pains me that an athlete does that to themselves and it has happened so many times.

So with that, I totally stopped reacting because it's 100% out of my control. It's so much easier just to analyze. Iginla was another example of why it's just easier to analyze. You would have thought it was perfect. And oh boy... it was not.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If JJ really is scratched:

Riikola played last game, so maybe that triggered Sullivan into finally realizing that he was playing better than a couple vets we're icing regularly. If Letang's healthy, one of JJ or Maatta should be healthy scratched. The only thing that should be confusing is why it took so long.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If JJ really is scratched:

Riikola played last game, so maybe that triggered Sullivan into finally realizing that he was playing better than a couple vets we're icing regularly. If Letang's healthy, one of JJ or Maatta should be healthy scratched. The only thing that should be confusing is why it took so long.

You shouldn't be equating Maatta and JJ because they're really not equal. It's one of Oleksiak or Johnson if you're going by recent play, both are physical defenseman who can't produce and struggle defensively.

I’m not giving up on JJ. Scuds and Lovejoy once proved to be valuable to a cup run, so you never know.

I feel like people need to just treat Johnson like a 32 year old Orpik and be happy whenever they get something more out of him. I feel like comparing JJ to Orpik at the end of his Penguin tenure isn't even an unfair comparison at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad