GDT: Game 33: Oilers @ Coyotes - 7:30PM - FSAZ+

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Glad it was chippy. Glad we lost to stop this stupid streak, now we can believe EDM is a rival. Glad they fought to the very end. Sloppy game otherwise and our PP is becoming more of a concern than our PK.

It's nice to see a formally hopeless organization turn the corner. Many AZ haters may hide among their ranks but McDavid deserves to play for a good team. They finally did what they had to do to beat the Coyotes. Kassian is a turd but that's his job.

If they lose all five of these home games that's going to raise some eyebrows in the owners box.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Kassian is a ******, but he's able to play a regular shift. As many points as Doan on the season. The Oilers are finally hard to play against. Take the hint, Dave.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's nice to see a formally hopeless organization turn the corner. Many AZ haters may hide among their ranks but McDavid deserves to play for a good team. They finally did what they had to do to beat the Coyotes. Kassian is a turd but that's his job.

If they lose all five of these home games that's going to raise some eyebrows in the owners box.

I just can't root for my team to fail night after night hoping that it might persuade the owners to come over to my position.

McDavid is something. He's taking over both the premier player role and premier prima donna role from Sid. Hope he considers coming to Arizona when he reaches free agency. With my luck he'll go for the glory of LA.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, on the Oiler board it was pointed out there was a conspiracy by Bettman to help the Coyotes win tonights game.

I'm sure Bettman loves watching Tippett's Coyotes neutralize his exciting product in players like McDavid by hooking and holding all night. Makes zero sense. He's probably more concerned with consistency in rule enforcement.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I just can't root for my team to fail night after night hoping that it might persuade the owners to come over to my position.

It's pretty easy to do it when you feel that DT's brand of hockey will ultimately kill the Coyotes on and off the ice. Sacrifice in the short term for long term gain, ya know? Something DT can't do. Something folks that refused to embrace the inevitable rebuild didn't want to do.

You'll get there.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Wanna edit this for drunk misreading. We are on the same page. And again, glad it wasn't an 0-5 loss but a close(ish) game with some bad attitude.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wish there would have been a pulse earlier, but yes, I'm glad they finally pushed back a little.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's pretty easy to do it when you feel that DT's brand of hockey will ultimately kill the Coyotes on and off the ice. Sacrifice in the short term for long term gain, ya know? Something DT can't do. Something folks that refused to embrace the inevitable rebuild didn't want to do.

You'll get there.

I've always been the country over party type and never wished calamity just because the other party won the election. That won't change.

What has changed is my thinking about the club. I would like to see a true rebuild. I would like to see OEL, Domi and Rieder traded for futures. Start from scratch.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Those 3 trades would be the end of the Coyotes. They aren't drawing now with hope for the future, trading that future would turn the rest of those attending games off. It's too late to start over.
I've always been the country over party type and never wished calamity just because the other party won the election. That won't change.

What has changed is my thinking about the club. I would like to see a true rebuild. I would like to see OEL, Domi and Rieder traded for futures. Start from scratch.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You might have to trade OEL soon, but trading the other two would be ridiculous. Especially if we're keeping this coach.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Domi is 21 (?) at most, so how does moving him help. OEL is a once in a decade type player. He is not far off from landing a Matthews. Obviously if there is any talk about him not re-signing then you explore options. Otherwise he has 6 (6!!!!) more years of helping the club. Reider can stick until UFA where you can get assests for him if we aren't in the running or let him go if he didn't contribute to the run.

How about Martinook, Richardson, and our UFA's Stone and Hanzel (they could be resigned) to discuss a rebuild?

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
The rule book is clear that if a player purposefully intents to injure another player than that is a match penalty. That's clearly what Kassian was trying to do. If he was mad about the hit, he should have fought OEL and and not attacked him defenslessly. It was the right call.

if he wanted to injure him he easily could have. He gave him a decent shot to let him know he was making chicken-**** plays at the end of the game

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Its easy to hate Kassian after this game but I'm very jealous of Edmontons 4th line of Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian. Very noticeable all game

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
if he wanted to injure him he easily could have. He gave him a decent shot to let him know he was making chicken-**** plays at the end of the game

If Zack didn't have an extended history of ******-baggery, this would be a different conversation. You don't remember Samwise's jaw? I say this as someone who wouldn't mind him on my team. It was a ******* shot at the end of the game by a player with a history of that stuff. It certainly could've been worse. I don't think he was injured. It's a late game scrum. Shouldn't be a big deal.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Max Domi is 21 dude and still on his ELC. What the hell?

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench

It's Zack Kassian. He has a reputation. The referee - unlike you - cannot read his mind and sees a reckless crosscheck in the dying moments of a game. He's not getting the benefit of the doubt.

Try to see it from a different perspective. If McDavid made a questionable hit that wasn't called would you want him to be in OEL's position there?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Well, on the Oiler board it was pointed out there was a conspiracy by Bettman to help the Coyotes win tonights game.

quick observation

Read any GDT/PGT on the oiler board and you will have about 20 to 30 posters giving the refs heat.

As for the KAsian hit on OEL. OEL hit on Hendricks had more intention then Gryba landing on the Arizona players head. Gryba slipped and you saw how Luke Schenn reacted. Kassian reacted the same way when he saw his player given what he views as a cheap shot

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'm not sure why comments about how the Coyotes shouldn't exist are allowed. Seems like a small thing to give up for a much more civil HF.
I'm pretty sure there's a universal HFboards rule that any thread or post bashing the Coyotes and their fanbase is totally acceptable, but all of the other teams are off limits. Main board is famous for this.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We have a poor mix of talent. Everybody wants to sack Tippett but when I say move the popular players it causes surprise and consternation. Why just do a partial measure like firing Tippett when what we need is a new mix of talent to go along with a new coach? Trading our key assets for new assets is no different than sacking Tippett. We may get equal value as far as players, or head coach, but either way it sets us back some years rather than propelling us forward.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We have a poor mix of talent. Everybody wants to sack Tippett but when I say move the popular players it causes surprise and consternation. Why just do a partial measure like firing Tippett when what we need is a new mix of talent to go along with a new coach? Trading our key assets for new assets is no different than sacking Tippett. We may get equal value as far as players, or head coach, but either way it sets us back some years rather than propelling us forward.

I think the idea that you should change out the stale coaching staff before you go trading 21 year olds on their ELC is easy enough to understand. What's yours struggle?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
quick observation

As for the KAsian hit on OEL. OEL hit on Hendricks had more intention then Gryba landing on the Arizona players head. Gryba slipped and you saw how Luke Schenn reacted. Kassian reacted the same way when he saw his player given what he views as a cheap shot

quick response...

I shouldn't get into this, but it sure seemed wrong to use the opposing player's head as a launching point to push yourself up from the ice :sarcasm:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Sorry boys, haven't read all the preceding crap and won't.

Observation: We actually (very briefly) started strong, had two non calls and immediately went to hell. Now I can't determine if the non-calls effected the boys drive, but they certainly didn't wind up as pp's for us. Instead a goal and a parade to the box lead us to nearly unwatchable doldrums, further reinforced by two unsuccessful pp's (we all miss DeAngelo's presence). The boys finally decided to make a game of it, but it was far too little too late.

Damn shame, as the last two games I'm seeing more regression than progression.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Are people saying the issue with Gryba-Chychrun was Gryba falling on Chych's head? Lol.

(I hate "lol.") As I remember it now, Gryba hip checked Chych's head against the boards - while Chychrun was defenseless, absorbing a hit from someone else. F***ing disgraceful.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think the idea that you should change out the stale coaching staff before you go trading 21 year olds on their ELC is easy enough to understand. What's yours struggle?

I don't think a new coach with the existing talent will do much of anything. I don't think that the old coach with new talent would do much either. I want a true rebuild, a la Buffalo, where they traded away everybody with value and changed coaches as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad