GDT: Game 33: Oilers @ Coyotes - 7:30PM - FSAZ+

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
2 minute cross-check for Kassian (On OEL)
2 minute rough for Kassian (On Duke)
5 fighting for Kassian and Doan

That's how I would have liked to see that called. A match penalty for the cross check is too much.

The rule book is clear that if a player purposefully intents to injure another player than that is a match penalty. That's clearly what Kassian was trying to do. If he was mad about the hit, he should have fought OEL and and not attacked him defenslessly. It was the right call.

jacobhockey13

Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I'm really interested in this partially because the Oilers HF is blaming the refs when imo it was just a badly called game all-the-way around.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The rule book is clear that if a player purposefully intents to injure another player than that is a match penalty. That's clearly what Kassian was trying to do. If he was mad about the hit, he should have fought OEL and and not attacked him defenslessly. It was the right call.

He cross checked him in the side, he didn't slash him in the face or anything. Looked like a normal every day cross check. Defiantly not 'intent to injure" as far as I'm concerned.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Dvorak enters on a two game point streak from the fourth line. Fifth in scoring among forwards despite ice time, usage, and games played. Two points behind 3rd place Rieder and Martinook despite Ryan White being his most frequent linemate.

"Earns" fewer PP minutes (and 5v5) than Ryan White and Holland. Someone tell me with a straight face that this is putting the power play or player in a position to succeed.

Tippett sounds really complacent about this loss. Amazing.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Dvorak enters on a two game point streak from the fourth line. Fifth in scoring among forwards despite ice time, usage, and games played. Two points behind 3rd place Rieder and Martinook despite Ryan White being his most frequent linemate.

"Earns" fewer PP minutes (and 5v5) than Ryan White and Holland. Someone tell me with a straight face that this is putting the power play or player in a position to succeed.

Tippett sounds really complacent about this loss. Amazing.

Well when I watch our PP it looks like it's designed to keep the puck at or near the point with OEL, Goose, and 1 forward with a good shot (Vrbata, Domi). The other 2 players jobs is solely to go fight for the puck in the corners. So when you consider that game plan to be concrete White is very good for our PP.

This works well if the team on the PK is conservative, but if they're aggressive it ain't pretty.

jacobhockey13

Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
He cross checked him in the side, he didn't slash him in the face or anything. Looked like a normal every day cross check. Defiantly not 'intent to injure" as far as I'm concerned.

I'll watch the hit again but I don't even remember him going for the puck or looking at it. I can't even remember if OEL had the puck or if he had already moved it. Kassian has a reputation and he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt nor should he. We'll just agree to disagree.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Biggest surprise of the night IMO was Murphy laying out Lucic in the third period, and Lucic not taking a penalty 10 seconds later. Must have taken every ounce of brainpower and self control inside that idiot's skull to not do anything.

jacobhockey13

Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Disllowed Oilers goal was clearly a good goal but I want to watch the first one again because that looked like it should have been blown dead. Yes, I like crease obstruction and goalie interference to be called tightly.

jacobhockey13

Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Biggest surprise of the night IMO was Murphy laying out Lucic in the third period, and Lucic not taking a penalty 10 seconds later. Must have taken every ounce of brainpower and self control inside that idiot's skull to not do anything.

That's exactly what I said! Right after hit happened I started counting the seconds. I said that he must be seeing a new counselor.

jacobhockey13

Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Who cares what they think? I root for Calgary in the battle for Alberta.

Haha I know. I just like knowing what other fans think because it's interesting in terms of bias. I try to be as little biased as possible so it offers a frame of reference. I want to rewatch Vrbata's holding penalty but overwall I'd say sum of calls was even/maybe slightly favoring the Coyotes but the Oilers pulled more dirty stuff. That Gryba play was insane.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
Hello fellow hockey fans.. Oilers fan coming in peace.

i'm glad your streak is over. the reffing both ways was horrible.

your comments above have been very reasonable. good luck in the future.

jacobhockey13

Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Right on. If the refs actually hade made the initial call Schenn likely wouldn't have gotten the instigator penalty. These guys looked out of their league.
Don't like the refs getting together and making a call after the event already happened and no call was made. Especially on something that isn't simple like puck over the glass or whatever.

We've all been complaining about the reffing standard for years in regards to obstruction and how they let way too much go. I thought this night was different in the fact that blantant dangerous plays were missed.

Last edited by a moderator:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Speaking of the reffing, what did everyone think of the refs? I didn't recognize either name but I thought that was a horribly called game.

Chris Lee is one of the dumbest mofos around. Paired with a rookie. That's what that looks like.

jacobhockey13

Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Hello fellow hockey fans.. Oilers fan coming in peace.

i'm glad your streak is over. the reffing both ways was horrible.

your comments above have been very reasonable. good luck in the future.

Good stuff. Hopefully the NHL reemphasizes obstruction so that McDavid can stop being hacked and whacked and instead make defenders look silly.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Hope the league calls a couple of hearings for those two players. Edmonton was known to be a very dirty team way back, before they got Hall, RNH, etc. Then they changed into a speed team.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Right on. If the refs actually hade made the initial call Schenn likely wouldn't have gotten the instigator penalty. These guys looked out of their league.

We've all been complaining about the reffing standard for years in regards to obstruction and how they let way too much go. I thought this night was different in the fact that blantant dangerous plays were missed.

Well the White hit early should have drawn a call. We hooked and held Connor all night long. Dumb calls were made; dumb noncalls happened. It was a typical night of NHL officiating.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Glad it was chippy. Glad we lost to stop this stupid streak, now we can believe EDM is a rival. Glad they fought to the very end. Sloppy game otherwise and our PP is becoming more of a concern than our PK.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We need to get back to the type of team that we were 5 years ago. We need to be hard to play against. We need to be able to hurt the opposing players. I don't mean injure, I mean hurt, with very hard physical play. We need opposing players to anticipated trips to the trainer's room after playing against us.

I thought that the hard play against McDavid was exactly what was needed in order to negate him. That part of the team's strategy worked tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad