GDT: Game 33: Kings @ Coyotes

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Well, let's be honest. If not for the hit on Gordon, the Coyotes lose this game. It took a 5 minute major and a full 2 minute 5 on 3 on top of that to get them back in it. They were in the process of collapsing until that match penalty.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Pretty good attendance. If we could average 15,000 per game for a season we would be in great shape.

I hate the attendance numbers. No other league relies on them like the NHL. It's so frustrating.

What I can't wait for, is the day that cable tv is obsolete. These teams with local contracts, and the NFL with the national contracts can't do what they do now. Look at the DBacks. Their new Fox Sports AZ deal allowed them to land Grienke. That's great for the Dbacks, sure, but the consumer gets ****ed in the ass. We are being gouged with cable TV by having to subscribe to so many channels that we don't watch. It's only a matter of time until this changes. When it does, other leagues will be in the same shape the NHL is in.

What's going to happen to salaries for players? They won't want to reduce their salaries of course. No way, they won't want to change from $5 million a year to $4 million a year. Absurd! I know there are plenty of players that make minimum, but plenty of taxpayers would like to make the minimum I'm sure.

Sorry, going on a tangent. But I can't wait for the day when sports have to realize that TV deals aren't there anymore, and what are they going to do? Someone has to get ahead of the curve, and expect this to happen. NFL might have tried with their streaming through Yahoo earlier this year. But it's going to happen in our lifetimes. 20-30 years form now sports are going to be something that isn't what it is today. Technology is taking away from the TV viewership, and TV was taking away from the live experience. Sorry, I hate how these guys make millions of dollars, teams ask for millions of dollars for a stadium from us, and we get left with the shaft at the door.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well, let's be honest. If not for the hit on Gordon, the Coyotes lose this game. It took a 5 minute major and a full 2 minute 5 on 3 on top of that to get them back in it. They were in the process of collapsing until that match penalty.

Atleast we capitalized on the opportunity. We could have not tied it up for a point. Cmon now, let's look at the positives.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
"Clinical" is how I'd describe Kopitar's game. He makes no mistake with his opportunities. He doesn't get much attention because he doesn't create something from nothing, though.

I love Kopitar. A lot of folks are going to freak out when his next contract is in the $80m range.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

Agreed.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Nothing from our usual twitter correspondents about Gordon yet. His ice time was crazy too. About 13 total minutes, 7 of them PK time :laugh:

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Let's all be realistic, last season all of us at the bottom was rooting for the other teams at the bottom to win. It happens.

I actually saw you guys play the Stars in Texas during Thanksgiving. Not going to lie, I wasn't too impressed with that game. Stars are a good team, but the Sabres didn't do much to get me excited. I was frustrated because I'm not a Stars fan, and was just kind of at the game. I wanted to see Eichel do something. My family was there and I convinced them to see that game instead of the I believe it was the Flames game on Tuesday because Sabres were in town the night we landed.

I'm not sure about your prospect pool(shoot I barely know the Coyotes that much, only through this board have I been able to learn more), but hoping you guys can pick it up also, as I know you guys love hockey and support the team. It's just fun watching 2 teams have a fight to the finish. Stars are on another level this year though I think, they look good. I'd love to go to another game in Texas. No offense to Phoenix fans, but when the Stars score, it's awesome.

I also loved the tribute they did for their frenchman when he scored. I don't know his name, but after he scored they put his face up on the jumbo tron and played the france national anthem. I didn't realize what was happening until the security guard told me he was from france. It was not long after the attacks in france. Sports are a great thing.

I went to that game too. It was the first time I watched the Sabres play in person since the 1970s, believe it or not. There was a big group there from DFW Bills Backers that I was with. Very disappointing game; the whole Sabres team was flat. The Frenchman on the Stars was Antoine Roussel, who had a good game against the Sabres (dang it), scoring a goal.

They're playing about .500 hockey right now, but the last few games they've looked better. The Reinhart/O'Reilly/McGinn line is clicking well now and has become a reliable scoring line. Eichel looked great early in the season then just kind of lost his edge. He was recently united with Evander Kane, and Tyler Ennis is now on that line for the last two games since Ennis came back from injury. All three players are fast, skilled, and starting to click. So now maybe we have two scoring lines.

The other two lines are pretty decent at at least playing even. Our goalie situation got FUBARed right at the beginning of the season when the intended starter, Robin Lehner, suffered a high ankle sprain and hasn't played since. Chad Johnson was pretty terrible early but he's getting steadily better. His backup, Linus Ullmark, was brought over from Sweden, played three games in the AHL, and was hurried up to the NHL. He's looked phenomenal at times, and others, not so good. He needs more seasoning but could be a future piece.

We've been shocked that Colorado traded Ryan O'Reilly for a few Sabres misfits and prospects, and even more gobsmacked that the Avs included Jamie McGinn. That's 2/3 of our top line right now, and McGinn is doing really well as a finisher.

The frustration with the Sabres comes from, I think, the fact that half the team is new compared to the team from a year ago, plus Dan Bylsma is implementing a totally new system. Plus he's been playing around with the lines to see who has chemistry. It's only been recently that the lines have settled down and the players are getting used to each other, and lo and behold the team looks much better lately. But just like the Coyotes (to bring this back on topic :naughty: ), you can see the future coming into focus and it looks pretty good.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
I hate Tippett's 3on3 choices.

...why not lose with Domi/Duclair out there?

It would be the same difference, except maybe the kids are fast enough that they'd cause all kinds of trouble for the other team, yeah!!!!!! we wouldn't want that.

The Sabres are the same way, playing the slowest veterans. ACK! We see improvement under Bylsma, but geez he drives us nuts with is personnel choices, especially in OT... and in the shootout. They played the Blackhawks to the shootout and didn't give Eichel or Reinhart a shot. WTF?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I enjoyed watching this game immensely. IMO the 3 on 3 is an absolute crap shoot. They might as well roll dice to decide who gets the winning point. I would prefer the playoff OT format, and if the team is tired for a next day game, so be it.

Domingue played as good a game today as he did the last game. Seriously. He didn't let out any juicy rebounds. He was scored upon due to a terrible turn over, a lousy play on the PK, and two seriously good shots. We would be fortunate if continues to develop.

The team needs to do a better job in their passing. A few times players passed to line mates who weren't within 30 feet of where the puck was sent.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The team needs to do a better job in their passing. A few times players passed to line mates who weren't within 30 feet of where the puck was sent.

Execution

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Not upset about this game. Their 3 on 3 line up was better than ours. The Kings won the face-off and took control the entire time until Kopi scored.

Bad poke check by Domingue, and Tik slipped. It happens. Great game. Thats all I can ask for this year. We're still some how in the thick of a playoff race.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Atleast we capitalized on the opportunity. We could have not tied it up for a point. Cmon now, let's look at the positives.

That's often considered blasphemy here. ;)

That said.... I thought we played soso though most of the first period. Puck control was non-existant. Got a lot better as the game went on but it should never have taken that long to get the holiday layoff kinks out.

We flat gave LA too many opportunities and they were able to cash in three times before Muzzin's hit woke us up.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Jeffrey

Vermette - Richardson - Chipchura - Jeffrey

RIP in pieces forum 40 :biglaugh:

So glad we have Dvorak and Strome in the pipeline, as well as Mac.

Too bad I'm not including Dauphin in the above.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Took a lady friend to her first game tonight, and she said she really liked it! Picked a good game for her first time.

I'm I the only one that thinks Muzzin's hit wasn't that bad? No way that's a match.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Took a lady friend to her first game tonight, and she said she really liked it! Picked a good game for her first time.

I'm I the only one that thinks Muzzin's hit wasn't that bad? No way that's a match.

Nah man. he had his back turned to Gordon. Just unlucky as all hell. Would be upset if they suspended him

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
No the league will say Gordon put himself in that position.
He did. I think the hit Muzzin was trying to throw was probably going to be interference-worthy, but because Gordon did what he did, it was much worse. I hope Gordo is back soon. Our best line when I first got here during the lockout was Klink-Gordon-Moss (ahh, memories) and it's taken until this year to realize that, like, 85% of that was Gordon. Love his game.

Milan Lucic is ****ing useless. He looked slow and lost sooo many times tonight. The high stick on Duclair was lazy and the cross-check against Murphy was just ridiculous. Every time that guy gets hit, he takes it personally and charges after them like a halftard rodeo bull.

Thought Domingue was OK, lots of powerplay goals, hard to pin them all on LD and JQ.

Anze Kopitar is a real ************. He's so good. That dude is why you draft centers, not wingers. Big, strong, fast, smart ... everything. All the Nail Yakupovs and Magnus Pajaarvis and Jordan Eberles in the world can't touch one Anze Kopitar.

Loss sucks, but we're right on the edge of the playoffs, with a healthy Mike Smith coming back eventually. I'll take that at the halfway point, given that 99% of hfboards said we were going to be worse than the Maple Laughs.

Other than that, there are too many 70's on the Kings roster. WTF are they doing? Is that supposed to be cute?

That's all.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario

Alternatively, if the Coyotes don't have to kill 3 consecutive penalties to start the 3rd, LA may not have scored those 3 goals.
Can't blame the game for if's.....Coyotes capitalized, we should be happy they did so.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Very entertaining game, we went toe to toe with kings physically and didn't get killed which was nice. **** kopitar, he's so good. Ridiculous he doesn't get more attention, he's a top center in the league.

Yep, very under rated player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It's all part of the game. If it was the other way around you would have complained about that also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad