Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I7r9o1b.png

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Not sure what this looks like on TV but from my seat the veteran players are screwing up time and again. Really, this team needs to do a fire sale.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
In case anyone was ever curious as to why I'm not all that hyped about Schmaltz this is why. His chemistry with Keller seems realish but it hasn't materialized in key goals or controlling the play, basically at all.

For example, and it's not even a good example cause it didn't last, look at what Panik - Stepan - Keller did last year. They put up comparable or arguably better numbers to what Keller/Schmaltz are doing now (around a ppg) but it wasn't just that. They changed the way teams had to play the Coyotes. Not only could they keep the puck without turning it over, they weren't a liability defensively and they could score in difference ways whether it was Panik causing trouble in front, "greasy" Stepan goals, or one-timers from Keller passes off the rush.

Schmaltz and Keller offer no such dynamic, even if that dynamic was merely temporary last year from those guys. They are two sameish players with the same weaknesses virtually the whole rest of the roster has. And now we have to pay Schmaltz too. They can do some great criss-crossing on the rush and are both smart in the O zone but I don't see a real quality line there. I see a paper line putting up points that look good on a sheet but aren't actually making a real impact. They are Olli Jokinen.

Sure maybe with a better 3rd member of the line, someone like who we hope Fischer can develop into or some other forward who brings a slight edge with a 200 ft game, that line might look better. It might also look better with an actual center like Dvorak. But I'm just not hyped up about the points they are putting up. Most haven't been at critical times, to win games or lift the team up after getting down. The Josh Archibalds and Mario Kempes have been doing that.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
In case anyone was ever curious as to why I'm not all that hyped about Schmaltz this is why. His chemistry with Keller seems realish but it hasn't materialized in key goals or controlling the play, basically at all.

For example, and it's not even a good example cause it didn't last, look at what Panik - Stepan - Keller did last year. They put up comparable or arguably better numbers to what Keller/Schmaltz are doing now (around a ppg) but it wasn't just that. They changed the way teams had to play the Coyotes. Not only could they keep the puck without turning it over, they weren't a liability defensively and they could score in difference ways whether it was Panik causing trouble in front, "greasy" Stepan goals, or one-timers from Keller passes off the rush.

Schmaltz and Keller offer no such dynamic, even if that dynamic was merely temporary last year from those guys. They are two sameish players with the same weaknesses virtually the whole rest of the roster has. And now we have to pay Schmaltz too. They can do some great criss-crossing on the rush and are both smart in the O zone but I don't see a real quality line there. I see a paper line putting up points that look good on a sheet but aren't actually making a real impact. They are Olli Jokinen.

Sure maybe with a better 3rd member of the line, someone like who we hope Fischer can develop into or some other forward who brings a slight edge with a 200 ft game, that line might look better. It might also look better with an actual center like Dvorak. But I'm just not hyped up about the points they are putting up. Most haven't been at critical times, to win games or lift the team up after getting down. The Josh Archibalds and Mario Kempes have been doing that.

Great post. He's not a center. They need someone that can win face offs, dig pucks out of the corner and possess the puck. A physical line can totally take them out of the game. Right now though, we just don't have anyone that can play with them.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What are we doing out there.

1st unit seemed content to only move the puck within about 15 feet square.

Goligoski tried to make a few creative plays on the 2nd unit at least. He's still owing us a few goals after his performances over the last week.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00