GDT: Game 33: Islanders @ Coyotes - FSAZ - 7PM

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Chayka doesn’t get to fire two coaches. He hasn’t proven enough to deserve that. He hasn’t earned that. If Tocchet has to go than Chayka has to go with him. The Coyotes are this kid mayor’s Ice Town. He’s done.

To be fair, he wasn't the one who hired the first. So I give a pass on that one since it was a cleaning house type thing. RT was his guy so that's totally on him.

And yea as everyone has said, injuries are a problem. However, even when the Yotes were relatively healthy it's not like players were performing very well in general. Started the year on a 4 game losing streak, what's the excuse for that one?

Idk, to me it seems like it's deeper than just switching out players. That's been done for 2 seasons now and the team isn't getting better.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What are we - like $20-30 million below the ceiling after insurance? $10 million in bull**** Hossa and Bolland contracts to meet the floor? It is what it is - a bargain team with no stars or depth.
You can be on the cheap for a few years while you start to rebuild, but year after year it catches up to you sooner or later.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I dont think I am ready to fire Chayaka , for the most part his trades work out.

But there is something wrong with the culture here. Heck Martinook would be on of our top scorers, Boedker as well. I actually think the system is good ... The first 10 games we played some great exciting hockey.

But it always seems to be mental issues , lack of drive , playing and thinking the games slow. Cant make or recieve a pass etc..

New players coming in always stand out because the play and think the game faster... Heck even Garland does... Give him time he will start to look like a regular coyote soon ... Scmaltz does now,
How can you say most of his trades worked out? Most on this board liked his trades, but the proof is in the pudding.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I have actually done this one before, it was hilarious. Was upper deck though so it didn't attract much attention :laugh:

I did it at a Cardinals game once (back in 01 when we went a whopping 3-13). I don't think it got much attention either since I was in the south end zone at Sun Devil Stadium. Funny part of it is that we ended up winning that game :laugh:

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Trades working out is likely the wrong choice of words... I should have said I agree with most of his deals and think on paper he got the better end of the deal

Domi trade was a mistake through and through . I at the time would have wanted Gally , not at the expense of Domi , he was on the verge of breaking out and brought more to this team than points

I liked the Datsyuk - Chychrun trade
Liked the Deangelo trade
Liked the Hjalmarson trade
Liked the Stephan , Raanta trade would have liked to keep Deangelo tho
Liked the Demers Trade
Liked the Hinostroza Osterel trade
I like the Schmaltz trade , though it was a little depressing to see our thirdt pick gone , but was like pulling offa bandaid

Didn't like the Hayton draft pick at the time , we shall see how it turns out

The one glaring bad move may be the coaching staff. It remains to be seen the outcome of the scouting staff changes.

Other than that I don't know what Chayka could have done differently than any other GM in this situation.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
At least it looked like a "do something!" there in the end. "Do something!".

Well well, it was another bad puck-luck game, IMHO. Panik not having his luck with him anymore as an example.

Also, I noticed Kempe disagreed with those who talked about "why is Kempe on the team!"

So, something nice here. :confused:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Chayka doesn’t get to fire two coaches. He hasn’t proven enough to deserve that. He hasn’t earned that. If Tocchet has to go than Chayka has to go with him. The Coyotes are this kid mayor’s Ice Town. He’s done.
Great point. I agree 100%

This "mostly good trades" is rather meaningless. Trades simply move the concentration of talent around. Rarely, with the possible exception of the Domi trade, does a team get fleeced. With the advanced stats talent is very quantifiable, even across positions. A GM should be judged, first and foremost, on the team he puts on the ice, regardless of source (draft, trade, FA). Chayka has not impressed, and I am not interested in the shiny object (very young, stats oriented) which diverts people's attention from the actual job performance.

Out with Chayka. Bring in someone with a history of success in the GM roll, not some young AGM looking for a first opportunity.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
All I said that most wanted a speedy team that is fun to watch.
I expected much more in year four of the rebuild. We have no experience at the top of the organization. They should have hired an experienced hockey guy to assist Chayka, but I guess AB thought different. I read last year that Chayka had a deal or two more that he could make but Sullivan told him to hang on and wait and see. Chayka thinks he can trade his way out of trouble and is way to impatient to let things play out.
I think most of Chyka's moves have been pretty good. Point out what trades/FA signings have been bad. I cant recall. (the domi trade was not good and I pointed out at the time. But Domi wanted out)
My issue with him is his team design. Every friggin player almost is a little fast skater with no balls. Even the minor league call ups. Look at the guys he acquires from the Hawks. All the same type of big Vagina type guys. Yes they got skill. And surely they can skate. But you have to have some sandpaper on the team in the form of skilled guys too. No wonder Nick Cousins is the fav. of RT. I don't blame him. you have to have guys like that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think most of Chyka's moves have been pretty good. Point out what trades/FA signings have been bad. I cant recall. (the domi trade was not good and I pointed out at the time. But Domi wanted out)
My issue with him is his team design. Every friggin player almost is a little fast skater with no balls. Even the minor league call ups. Look at the guys he acquires from the Hawks. All the same type of big Vagina type guys. Yes they got skill. And surely they can skate. But you have to have some sandpaper on the team in the form of skilled guys too. No wonder Nick Cousins is the fav. of RT. I don't blame him. you have to have guys like that.
So why are they good trades then? The proof is in the pudding. Why are we in the same position now as we were last year? Whatever we say is an excuse. I have used injuries, but every team has them, so then you say depth, so why wasn't that addressed in the off season. It goes on and on and on. IF Chayka made mostly good trades, and most on this board would say he did, then it's coaching. It's one or the other or both. I thought this team could could challenge for a playoff spot, which is not really a stretch considering it's year four of the rebuild, and anything less would be a failure. Unfortunately, it's trending in the wrong direction.

Reactions: ctwin22

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
So why are they good trades then? The proof is in the pudding. Why are we in the same position now as we were last year? Whatever we say is an excuse. I have used injuries, but every team has them, so then you say depth, so why wasn't that addressed in the off season. It goes on and on and on. IF Chayka made mostly good trades, and most on this board would say he did, then it's coaching. It's one or the other or both. I thought this team could could challenge for a playoff spot, which is not really a stretch considering it's year four of the rebuild, and anything less would be a failure. Unfortunately, it's trending in the wrong direction.
How does depth get addressed w/o dollars?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Size is an issue, the smurf thing didn't work in Montreal and I see it as a problem as well.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Chayka hasn't fired any coaches. We might not be able to blame Chayka for the Tocc pick, I suspect Barroway was pretty much behind it. Who would find the new coach? I don't think Chayka or Barroway are capable of making that decision given our budget. They can't afford a proven coach like Q. I am mixed on Tocc at this time. Part of me thinks the injuries are catching up and his system wasn't in place at the start of last year, built in excuses. Part of me thinks he doesn't get the most out of his players. This team over achieved under Tip for the most part. I think we have played average to below average given the roster. I have not seen us over achieve under Tocc and there aren't any players excelling under him either. With Tip, players left here and didn't succeed (mostly) elsewhere. With Tocc, seems like the opposite but it is still early.

Barroway isn't going to pay 2 head coaches so this is all a moot point this year.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
you forgot one very important thing. Chyka is dealing with little money. That's why we have a Goodwill team. He's done a good job with the resources he has . I don't like the fact he only gets one type of player. That's he's overdone for sure.
Is it the coaching? No coach could coax this team into the playoffs. We simply don't have the talent.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
you forgot one very important thing. Chyka is dealing with little money. That's why we have a Goodwill team. He's done a good job with the resources he has . I don't like the fact he only gets one type of player. That's he's overdone for sure.
Is it the coaching? No coach could coax this team into the playoffs. We simply don't have the talent.
For what ever reason, we should be no where this bad. Of course money is an issue, but there are other teams that are close to us in payroll. Mind you, none have had to deal with low payroll for a decade,:) but higher payroll doesn't guarantee success. I still think we are much better than we are showing currently. What concerns me is that the kids are not progressing, and the vets play has declined, same as last year. Again, with such a high turnover it might be harder to gel, find consistency etc.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Top 10 List of AHL Dmen 21yrs or younger

1 - Hronek 2nd round #43 - 20gp 5g 18pts 0.90ppg
2 - Brannstrom 1st round #15 - 24gp 4g 20pts 0.83ppg
3 - Kylington 2nd round #60 - 18gp 7g 14pts 0.78ppg
4 - Cernak 2nd round #43 - 9gp 2g 7pts 0.78ppg
5 - Capobianco 3rd round #63 - 26gp 3g 20pts 0.77ppg
6 - Juolevi 1st round #5 - 18gp 1g 13pts 0.72ppg
7 - Gleason undrafted - 24gp 2g 16pts 0.67ppg
8 - Mahura 3rd round #85 - 14gp 1g 9pts 0.64ppg
9 - Myers undrafted - 27gp 5g 16pts 0.59ppg
10 - Bean 1st round #13 - 29gp 5g 17pts 0.59ppg

Schlemko's stats 21yr under
68gp 7g 29pts 0.42ppg

Reactions: YotesFan47

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
How is Capobianco in that mix? We’re lucky if he’s the next Schlemko.
We can't hate on Capo, hes done nothing but improve year in and year out. He may not be that #1/#2 guy but he has a ton a talent and as far as I'm aware, is a great character. I'm excited for his arrival and hope he's able to bring some of what we lost when Yandle was shipped out. Chychrun - Capobianco could be a thing in a few years where we have one of the best 2nd pairs in the league. To date, I don't have any reason not to like this pick.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad