GDT: Game 33: Columbus at Dallas | 12/15 8:30PM EST

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I really would not be surprised to see a big trade sometime soon. They changed brought in Saad for offensive help for Joey, just to have Joey **** the bed for lack of a better term. Brought in Torts to bring some life to the team, we see a huge improvement defensively and then the offense becomes invisible. If things dont get straightened out soon there HAS to be some sort of shake up, things obviously arent working. Major or minor something needs to be done.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
I really would not be surprised to see a big trade sometime soon. They changed brought in Saad for offensive help for Joey, just to have Joey **** the bed for lack of a better term. Brought in Torts to bring some life to the team, we see a huge improvement defensively and then the offense becomes invisible. If things dont get straightened out soon there HAS to be some sort of shake up, things obviously arent working. Major or minor something needs to be done.

Nothing will be done. Until the firesale at the trade deadline to get us out of the cap hell JD and Jarmo put us in.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Reading through this thread I have come to the conclusion that it resembles a players meeting. Lotta *****in' nothing changes. :laugh:

Love the comments about how the Jackets haven't got better under Torts. They have won 11 games which is 11 more than under the previous regime. And many losses have been very close.

Another Joey moment. I am more convinced than ever that he has to go for this team to ever be a real good team. You just can't have your most talented guy show up only when the spirit moves him. Nash 2.0.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Love the comments about how the Jackets haven't got better under Torts. They have won 11 games which is 11 more than under the previous regime. And many losses have been very close.

Put me firmly in the "A change needed to be made but we picked a terrible fit camp." I've tried very hard to give this move a chance, but we look just as listless as we did in Richards' last days.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
After his magnificent non-performance tonite, it seems clearer and clearer, Joey has to go. Yes he does have tremendous talent. But when he shows up to play only randomly, you can't build a team around him,

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Put me firmly in the "A change needed to be made but we picked a terrible fit camp." I've tried very hard to give this move a chance, but we look just as listless as we did in Richards' last days.

But he yells and gets angry, just like Dubinsky, and just like me goddammit when this team loses and sucks and it makes me so ****ing mad. And if a player or coach or team official or owner doesn't react the exact same way I would, then that person is obviously not a leader and should be benched and probably publicly flogged because I'm mad.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Sounds less to me like a coaching issue and a lot more like a roster issue.

Since February 1, 2014, the following moves have been made. This is to include the trading deadline of the playoff year.

- Marian Gaborik to Los Angeles for two draft picks and Matt Frattin
- A 2014 5th-rounder to Edmonton for Nick Schultz, then Nikita Nikitin for the same draft pick right back
- Jonathan Audy-Marchessault and Dalton Smith to Tampa Bay for Matt Taormina and Dana Tyrell
- RJ Umberger and a 2015 4th-rounder to Philadelphia for Scott Hartnell
- Matt Frattin for Jerry D'Amigo
- A 2015 5th-rounder to St. Louis for Jordan Leopold
- Tim Erixon for Jeremy Morin
- Jerry D'Amigo for Luke Adam
- Nathan Horton for David Clarkson, no salary or bonus retained
- Jordan Leopold for Justin Falk and a 2015 5th-rounder
- James Wisniewski and a 2015 3rd-rounder to Anaheim for William Karlsson, Rene Bourque, and a 2015 2nd-rounder
- Marko Dano, Artem Anisimov, Jeremy Morin, Corey Tropp, and a 2016 4th-rounder to Chicago for Brandon Saad, Michael Paliotta, and Alex Broadhurst
- A future 2nd-rounder to Vancouver for John Tortorella

In as free agents:
- Simon Hjalmarsson
- Brian Gibbons
- Kevin Connauton (waiver claim)
- Gregory Campbell
- Andrew Bodnarchuk

Out as free agents:
- Derek MacKenzie
- Blake Comeau
- Nick Schultz
- Mike Reilly
- Mark Letestu
- Sean Collins
- Will Weber

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Guys, our problems mainly lie with the awful D corps. You need 5 guys involved in your offense to make it go. We have no D men contributing to the O in any meaningful way. We have no true number 1 or 2 defenseman. 4/47 should be long gone, Golo back in Cleveland, and the other 4 moved down a line. That means we need true numbers 1 and 2 guys, and a seasoned number 7 that can legitimately fill in on nights guys need a sit, or are hurt. That would at least be a start.

Joey is young, and young guys go through these things. He needs to get his head into the game, and that probably means there is a maturity problem with him. Like I said earlier, Foligno needs to be tied to a chair and be made to watch video of last season so he can figure out what he did to score all those goals, because he isn't repeating those traits this season. We get the first line going, and it will have a ripple effect on the other lines.

I don't care that Torts started Korp last night. Kid played well the night before, so wth. CMac has not been good this season. Scored on himself in the Isles game. And no, he really wasn't tested that much in that game.

Things are bad, very bad, and it will take some doing to fix it. Hell we can't win hockey games or the draft lottery. Trade deadline will be real intense this season. If we dump some guys we better get something in return, that's all I have to say.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I look at that list MB and yeah, some of the trades were washes at best, but the main trades, I don't think I'd regret doing again...meaning the Wiz trade, the Dano/Arty trade, definitely Umberger

the others are meh or a wash at best...no need to dwell on the Clarkson/Horton deal, its been discussed to death...this franchise wasn't going to sit with $5m+ in dead money to pay out (the insurance thing is neither here nor there in this instance, already done)

and not really knowing who else is out there to acquire, we can only speculate

back to the game:
the defense was bad last night...and joey reverted back to lazy joey...and got sat for it...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
back to the game:
the defense was bad last night...and joey reverted back to lazy joey...and got sat for it...

kangaroo.jpg

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I look at that list MB and yeah, some of the trades were washes at best, but the main trades, I don't think I'd regret doing again...meaning the Wiz trade, the Dano/Arty trade, definitely Umberger

the others are meh or a wash at best...no need to dwell on the Clarkson/Horton deal, its been discussed to death...this franchise wasn't going to sit with $5m+ in dead money to pay out (the insurance thing is neither here nor there in this instance, already done)

and not really knowing who else is out there to acquire, we can only speculate

I agree. Nothing in the list explains why we suck.

burnstick

Jan 7, 2015
#2 has hit a bit of a wall, I think it's time to give him a game or two off. Really need Golo back.

If you want a puck mover it might be time to get a look at Paliotta.

Been a fig fan of #2 and have watched every game since he has been in the line up.
The announce staff give him high praise almost every game.

What in his play makes you feel that he has hit a wall ?

Also think Paliotta will be a fantastic addition late in the year or next year.needs some defensive zone seasoning.
Golf back will be great as well.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Is this a serious point? They've played 19 more games under Torts. They weren't going to lose them all...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Been a fig fan of #2 and have watched every game since he has been in the line up.
The announce staff give him high praise almost every game.

What in his play makes you feel that he has hit a wall ?

His play the last two games hasn't been great. He had some pretty poor breakout attempts last night.

burnstick

Jan 7, 2015
His play the last two games hasn't been great. He had some pretty poor breakout attempts last night.

Agreed not a flawless game.
How about the rest of the D and forwards? They showed how the forwards are not coming back and regrouping to breakout as a team forcing the D to make long passes under pressure.

Not sure how he stood out as needing a rest and the rest of the D looked great.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
But he yells and gets angry, just like Dubinsky, and just like me goddammit when this team loses and sucks and it makes me so ****ing mad. And if a player or coach or team official or owner doesn't react the exact same way I would, then that person is obviously not a leader and should be benched and probably publicly flogged because I'm mad.

I don't know about the benching, but I'm definitely on board with the public flogging.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Agreed not a flawless game.
How about the rest of the D and forwards? They showed how the forwards are not coming back and regrouping to breakout as a team forcing the D to make long passes under pressure.

Not sure how he stood out as needing a rest and the rest of the D looked great.

Because his play has dropped noticeably. I'm not going to get into the nonsense of "Well other people looked bad too". I noticed and he's a 5/6 with other options, sub someone else in for a game. Of the D that played last night he looked the worst with Prout on the ice. That isn't good.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
:laugh:

Even with our readjusted expectations, we are still not very happy with the result

These games, with maybe 2-3 (notable) exceptions, have been unwatchably dull. I don't speak for everyone but I can tolerate a bad hockey team, I can't tolerate how dull these games have been. A team with our forwards and (in a completely different sense) our defense shouldn't be this dull.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
These games, with maybe 2-3 (notable) exceptions, have been unwatchably dull. I don't speak for everyone but I can tolerate a bad hockey team, I can't tolerate how dull these games have been. A team with our forwards and (in a completely different sense) our defense shouldn't be this dull.

I'm with you. Bad hockey is ok. Boring hockey is not. I don't know if this will help, but I'll give it a shot.

When I'm at the games, I switch up where I sit and look at things from a different angle. I'll also just watch a player independent of the puck.

These things serve to spice it up and rekindle my interest even if the game (or team in this case) is dull.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I agree 100%. I sit there wondering when is someone going to score. Or at least make a good play. Many times I don't care which team. Defense is beginning to predominate in most games with additional clutching, screening, etc. starting to be allowed.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
While the games are more boring, id much rather see us lose 2-1 or 3-1 with an ENG instead of us losing 6-2 in a blowout or something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad