GDT: Game #32 -- Sun Mar 24, 2013 - Red Wings @ Ducks - 8:00 p.m.| FSD

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
People criticizing Getzlaf, Perry and Selanne are off base.

In that situation, the tripping call essentially ruins the Duck's comeback hopes. I have no problem giving the refs the what for at that point. Very little to lose.

So they should throw out the rule book because they're trying to make a comeback? That call wasn't any worse than the one on Selanne.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

In that situation, the tripping call essentially ruins the Duck's comeback hopes. I have no problem giving the refs the what for at that point. Very little to lose.

Don't take stupid penalties if you don't want your comeback chances ruined.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Strongly believe you should spend over 5 million dollars for a goalie in the NHL. Might be in the minority on that one though.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris

No problem showing some emotion and having a word with the officials, but kicking and screaming like the toddlers they all are is unacceptable. They are supposed to professionals about this. Smacking the glass with a stick (Perry), mouthing off instead of having a somewhat civilized discussion (Getzlaf), bumping into the referee (Beauchemin) and mouthing off to the ref way after the event when they are ready to drop the puck (Selanne) is uncalled for and poor leadership.

And they do this all the time. If they don't have their way, they will revert to dirty plays and whining as a result. I wouldn't want the veterans and leaders of my team acting like absolute babies.

Yes, the officiating tonight was brutal (for both teams, mind you), but that's nothing new and the Ducks has plenty of opportunities of winning the games without the officials' help. If Palmieri could hit the net and guys like Fowler placed their shots better, they would've won. Easily. They were the hungrier team, but also the most unprofessional.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010

No they aren't. It was an obvious call that will be made every time and crying about it not only was pointless, but at least one of them is going to be suspended foe the next game over it.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Folks, please don't go trolling over there ... posting cordially is fine but don't give us a bad name.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Other than the Minnesota meltdown (if you want to call it that...but all goalies have these games), Howie is back to being the Howie we know. Actually, I think this is his more impressive year than the previous ones. I think he's better than last year. I just don't think he was physically/mentally ready when the season started....Neither was the defense. But he managed. Now he's back in form.

With that said, I think it's time for a break. He already played one back to back (won them both)...I'd say we met the teams criteria for the road trip: 4 points. GIve the man a break for tomorrow. He deserves it. He and Datsyuk are the only reasons, IMO, that the Wings are even in the playoff picture.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
No problem showing some emotion and having a word with the officials, but kicking and screaming like the toddlers they all are is unacceptable. They are supposed to professionals about this. Smacking the glass with a stick (Perry), mouthing off instead of having a somewhat civilized discussion (Getzlaf), bumping into the referee (Beauchemin) and mouthing off to the ref way after the event when they are ready to drop the puck (Selanne) is uncalled for and poor leadership.

And they do this all the time. If they don't have their way, they will revert to dirty plays and whining as a result. I wouldn't want the veterans and leaders of my team acting like absolute babies.

Yes, the officiating tonight was brutal (for both teams, mind you), but that's nothing new and the Ducks has plenty of opportunities of winning the games without the officials' help. If Palmieri could hit the net and guys like Fowler placed their shots better, they would've won. Easily. They were the hungrier team, but also the most unprofessional.

and let's not forget there was still a minute left in the game. plenty of time to get a goal.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2 goals allowed in 2 games against the 5th highest scoring team in the league. Hat's off to Howard and the defense for the effort.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
2 goals allowed in 2 games against the 5th highest scoring team in the league. Hat's off to Howard and the defense for the effort.

Yup I'll take it.:yo: Although we could a still played a little better this game.

Aug 6, 2012
Why are people apologizing for winning on the Ducks board?

The biased reffing is getting blown WAY out of proportion.

In the two games, ANA had 6 PP's and DET had 8.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Strongly believe you should spend over 5 million dollars for a goalie in the NHL. Might be in the minority on that one though.

Salaries of goalies in their Cup-winning season:

2006, Ward, 700k
2007, Giguere, 3.9M
2008, Osgood, 800k
2009, Fleury, 3.5M
2010, Niemi, 800k
2011, Thomas, $6M
2012, Quick, $1.8M

Depth wins championships, something you rarely get by dropping $5M into a goalie.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I would like to say a few things.

I didn't watch the third. Sounds like we barely survived thanks to howard.

Just for interest sakes, we vote the 3 stars after every game.

I will bet Howard has been a star in 1/2 of all of our games.

I honestly do not care what he costs... we sign him.
He is a great goaltender, and anyone who keeps complaining about him needs to settle down and realize this is real life (You dont have teams like Crosby/Ovechkin/Weber/Suter/Rinne/Lundquist) .

Howard is a great goaltender.

I hope we can pay him as little as possible to keep the TEAM strong. But if he demands money or walks... I say give him money. TRY TRY to make it less. But sign him. If he walks, I'll be pissed.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
They almost tied it at the end and if they did their 3 best forwards would have been out. There should be no praising that.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Salaries of goalies in their Cup-winning season:

2006, Ward, 700k
2007, Giguere, 3.9M
2008, Osgood, 800k
2009, Fleury, 3.5M
2010, Niemi, 800k
2011, Thomas, $6M
2012, Quick, $1.8M

Depth wins championships, something you rarely get by dropping $5M into a goalie.

Just so you know... how many of those goalies were on their 1st or 2nd contracts and now paid much much more!!

Ward: 6.3 Mil cap hit (they can still afford staal / staal / semin / skinner.
Fleury: 5 Mil Cap hit (he won when he was young too)
Quick: 5.8 Mil Cap hit
Thomas: 6 Mil
Niemi: 3.8 Mil (And he isn't bringing SJ to the playoffs)
Osgood was a cheap goalie. - Ya us!

Yes when teams have players (stars) below 25, things work out better. But if you think we win a cup without howard, hoping Mrazek just gets as good as howard is a dumb move.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Why are people apologizing for winning on the Ducks board?

The biased reffing is getting blown WAY out of proportion.

In the two games, ANA had 6 PP's and DET had 8.

Karma...The Wings have before and will again be on the wrong end of the officials calls.

All I need to do is remember the last game against LA and I know exactly how their fans feel.

I thought the tripping call at the end of the game was a penalty but there were also a bunch of times where the Wings should have been called for interference and hooking that went unnoticed.

Sometimes it works in your favor like tonight and others against you but it always sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad