Feb 6, 2010
:wings at :ducks
Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 8:00 p.m.

Lines:
Justin Abdelkader-Pavel Datsyuk-Johan Franzen
Valtteri Filppula-Henrik Zetterberg-Drew Miller
Daniel Cleary-Joakim Andersson-Patrick Eaves
Gustav Nyquist-Cory Emmerton-Jordin Tootoo

Brunner and Miller alternated on the Zetterberg line.

Niklas Kronwall-Jonathan Ericsson
Brian Lashoff-Brendan Smith
Jakub Kindl-Ian White

Jimmy Howard

Lines per Khan from practice. I will update later today.​

Last edited:

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Another hat for the gator?

I predict Anaheim to take this one if they get even halfway decent goaltending. I wonder if Wings nation can will our team to victory however. They trolled the Ducks so hard last game and probably had an impact on the mighty collapse of Anaheim. ;P

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I really don't like Abdelkader, but in the interest of being objective, he really has been a lot better since Franzen replaced Cleary on that line, even ignoring the hat trick. He's simplified his game, whereas with Cleary there, he was attempting to do things that were beyond him - like passing and playmaking. Franzen also draws a hell of a lot more attention than Cleary did or will, so Abdelkader seems to be the beneficiary of extra time and space...

Edit - I should clarify that I don't expect Abdelkader to look like he did against Anaheim every night, and he'll probably end the season with 7 goals total, but I don't think he's bringing the top line down anymore.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Another hat for the gator?

I predict Anaheim to take this one if they get even halfway decent goaltending. I wonder if Wings nation can will our team to victory however. They trolled the Ducks so hard last game and probably had an impact on the mighty collapse of Anaheim. ;P

Yeah. The Ducks are gonna be pissed and I'm not sure this Wings team can match up against a vengeful Anaheim.

Then again, maybe they'll end up taking stupid penalties and we'll actually be able to convert. Who knows?

Mount Royal

Achtung, baby
May 11, 2010
Montreal
Why are there so many wings fans in southern places like california, phoenix, florida? Part of white flight from Detroit?

I'm pretty sure it just has to do with Detroit's success for the past 20 years. Bandwagoners and all that. I would know :laugh:

Seriously, Wings fans are everywhere. Keep in mind quite a few of those teams are pretty young too. People moving there while there was no team is possible. Would rather not touch the white flight thing though...

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Why are there so many wings fans in southern places like california, phoenix, florida? Part of white flight from Detroit?

White flight was the migration of whites from the city to the suburbs.

Relocation of Michiganders to the sun belt states was economic. No jobs here. Michigan was the only state to experience a net loss in population over the past ten years.

Survey any random person in the Detroit area and I'd bet they have some friends or family now living in California, Arizona or Texas.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

They're not just in the southern US, they're everywhere in Canada as well. Being successful for 20 years leads to a lot of people becoming fans in the 90s and 00s. For me personally living in a place where 85% of the population is a Habs, Leaf or Sens fan, I'm a 2nd generation Wings fan and so is pretty much my whole family.

Also having 1 of like 6 Newfoundlander's on your team means you automatically get a couple of fans. :laugh:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah. The Ducks are gonna be pissed and I'm not sure this Wings team can match up against a vengeful Anaheim.

Then again, maybe they'll end up taking stupid penalties and we'll actually be able to convert. Who knows?

Pretty funny they claimed that Vancouver was going to be pissed at home when Detroit beat them at Joe Louis Arena 8-3 and then beat them In Vancouver 5-2 as long as Detroit plays like they did Friday night we will be fine.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Pretty funny they claimed that Vancouver was going to be pissed at home when Detroit beat them at Joe Louis Arena 8-3 and then beat them In Vancouver 5-2 as long as Detroit plays like they did Friday night we will be fine.

Ya St. Louis was supposed to be pissed after the 5-3 debacle with the Backes major and the wings ended up beating them 5-1 quite handily.
It all depends on whether or not the wings choose to show up.
That being said I wouldn't be surprised if the ducks kick ass.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
So it looks like Tootoo will play? I think that's the right call.

The Ducks are going to be pissed. If they carry play at the beginning it will give them confidence and they'll win. If we can come out strong and get under their skins, hopefully we can get them to self destruct.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Glad tootoo is playing. Pretty sure we're going to see some jackassery out of the ducks. If they run our guys he better run their's.

Thinking we lose this game...... 4-2.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

I'm pretty sure it just has to do with Detroit's success for the past 20 years. Bandwagoners and all that. I would know :laugh:

Seriously, Wings fans are everywhere. Keep in mind quite a few of those teams are pretty young too. People moving there while there was no team is possible. Would rather not touch the white flight thing though...

Relocation of Michiganders to the sun belt states was economic. No jobs here. Michigan was the only state to experience a net loss in population over the past ten years.

Survey any random person in the Detroit area and I'd bet they have some friends or family now living in California, Arizona or Texas.

They're not just in the southern US, they're everywhere in Canada as well. Being successful for 20 years leads to a lot of people becoming fans in the 90s and 00s. For me personally living in a place where 85% of the population is a Habs, Leaf or Sens fan, I'm a 2nd generation Wings fan and so is pretty much my whole family.

Also having 1 of like 6 Newfoundlander's on your team means you automatically get a couple of fans. :laugh:

I'm born and raised in the heart of Flyers country, literally within walking distance of the stadiums and I became a Wings fan, despite otherwise pressured, because as a kid I loved their unis/logo and Stevie and Shanny were my favorites players. Chose my NFL and MLB team bascially the same way. A lot of kids are like that then eventually grow out of it and end up rooting for their local team, not me though. Sixers are the only Philly team I'm a fan of.

I remember in '97 as a 6 year old rooting for the Wings in the Cup and everyone was like "No! you're supposed to cheer for the Flyers!!11!" :laugh:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

Lol four of my best friends from high school... One in Cali, one in Texas, one in Zona, and one on the east coast.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Lashoff/Smith...that has not worked once this season.

Gotta get off to a good start tonight. I'll call a 3-2 Wings win as long as the boys come to play.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Lashoff/Smith...that has not worked once this season.

Nope not once. Other than the last game against the #2 team in the league. And that game against the Nucks. They're rookies and they have shown some promise, particularly on the PK against the Vancouver. They were pretty nasty in front of their own net. I hope Babs keeps them together.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
"I don't know why this game would be a letdown (from the Blackhawks victory),'' coach Bruce Boudreau said after his team's 9-0-3 run ended. "I mean, we had a whole 24 hours in-between - and you're playing the Detroit Red Wings, for crying out loud. ... We want to remember this one and we don't want it to happen again.''

They will be fired up. The question can we use it to our advatage.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
lol sounds like Boudreau has more respect for DRW than their fans do

Every single player and coach says that about their opponent. "You can't underestimate." even when playing the last place team they say that.

And you have to stop confusing criticism with disrespect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dekemeister

Sep 12, 2010
Ducks are going to be pissed. The Wings have elevated their game though; I'm more worried about them playing down to competition than playing up.

I think if we can get 3 points out of today and tomorrow that'd be a huge success.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Hopefully, Tootoo can get under their skin and cause them to take penalties. Our guys know they're going to have to play tough tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad