GDT: Game 32 | Senators @ Canadiens | Battle of the 417 Edition | Sat Dec 11th 7:30PM | SN, RDS

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Chaplik is a victim of the numbers game....just too many guys.

I was a big advocate of Brown making the team in the summer. Then i saw him live in pre season and he looked a bit slow to me. When he got the call up initially, i thought he was going harder than what i see now. Maybe that's just me. I also don't know if going down helps him. If the lesson is compete harder, I'm not sure what sending him to a lower level where he can dominate without elevating his compete level accomplishes

Sure but he isnt developing playing 6 minutes a game. Which is why I think it would benefit to send him down.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In his 6 minutes I’m not seeing much I like about Brown that makes me wish he was on the ice more.

It looks to me like the organization is doing everything it can, within the culture context, to give Brown every chance to shine and earn more ice time.

The way I see it is that you have to do stuff with your limited ice time in order to earn more. Brown is still working on doing the most with what he has.

The fact that he’s still in the line up is a testament to the fact that the organization wants him to seize the day, but when it comes to the on ice play he has to earn real minutes, and he’s not right now.

And for the guy comparing him to Ennis; there is no real comparison in my opinion. Ennis is a better and much harder working NHL player at this moment, and deserves his ice time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
In his 6 minutes I’m not seeing much I like about Brown that makes me wish he was on the ice more.

It looks to me like the organization is doing everything it can, within the culture context, to give Brown every chance to shine and earn more ice time.

The way I see it is that you have to do stuff with your limited ice time in order to earn more. Brown is still working on doing the most with what he has.

The fact that he’s still in the line up is a testament to the fact that the organization wants him to seize the day, but when it comes to the on ice play he has to earn real minutes, and he’s not right now.

And for the guy comparing him to Ennis; there is no real comparison in my opinion. Ennis is a better and much harder working NHL player at this moment, and deserves his ice time.
Its almost impossible to make an impact playing 6 minutes a game. No rythm, youre not playing with impact players, when you play that much as a young player like him its the first time in his career that he has got this little ice. Its all new and his confidence is likely gone because every single mistake he has made thus far has moved him down the lineup. I really dont see how they are giving him every chance. Dissagree completely.

Reactions: BatherSeason

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Its almost impossible to make an impact playing 6 minutes a game. No rythm, youre not playing with impact players, when you play that much as a young player like him its the first time in his career that he has got this little ice. Its all new and his confidence is likely gone because every single mistake he has made thus far has moved him down the lineup. I really dont see how they are giving him every chance. Dissagree completely.
He has been getting around an average of 13 mins of icetime since the end of October hasn't he? Some games around 15-17 mins..... I wouldn't say he has done anything impressive and a lot of other guys have really turned up their game such as Duke, Pageau, CBrown, Ennis

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Maybe this team makes a run now. Boston has lost 5 in a row and Tampa is getting hot. It’s twilight zone time. Oilers are in a huge slump :( and mike Smith is a poop head. He sucks. Otherwise all I have left now is the juniors.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He has been getting around an average of 13 mins of icetime since the end of October hasn't he? Some games around 15-17 mins..... I wouldn't say he has done anything impressive and a lot of other guys have really turned up their game such as Duke, Pageau, CBrown, Ennis
He hasnt played more than 10:17 in the last 4 games with as low as 7 minutes.

I dont think its fair to compare him to those players at this point. He has 79 pro games in his career. Logan Browns development curve was always going to be a long one. Not only is he enormous but his body is maturing late and he has battled injuries. In a throw away season at this point in his career he just needs to play and continue to put on muscle mass and improve his quickness.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He hasnt played more than 10:17 in the last 4 games with as low as 7 minutes.

I dont think its fair to compare him to those players at this point. He has 79 pro games in his career. Logan Browns development curve was always going to be a long one. Not only is he enormous but his body is maturing late and he has battled injuries. In a throw away season at this point in his career he just needs to play and continue to put on muscle mass and improve his quickness.
if growing into his body is still on going then I wouldn't mind sending him to the AHL to dominate. I would say there is more away from the game he has to work on such as conditioning and agility. 10 mins in 4 games isn't bad its not always going to be an upward trend. Having a handful of low ice time games isn't bad. If come feb its still on going then yes sure you would have a point.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Since Novemver 2nd he's averaging 11:34 and has only gone over 15 minutes twice in 14 games.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
if growing into his body is still on going then I wouldn't mind sending him to the AHL to dominate. I would say there is more away from the game he has to work on such as conditioning and agility. 10 mins in 4 games isn't bad its not always going to be an upward trend. Having a handful of low ice time games isn't bad. If come feb its still on going then yes sure you would have a point.

I think when you see his quickness etc that he is definitely still growing into his body. He needs to get more explosive and stronger, he just started working out the right way by the sounds of it. His vision skill and even skating stride are amazing for a man his size just doesnt have the fast twitch muscles. He likely never develops into a fast player but I think he can get alot stronger and can improve his overall quickness. His hockey IQ and reach will allow him to be a player he needs to be more physically dominant. I think he is 3 years away from showing what type of impact player he can be. When he is 24 we will know what he is.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
DJ Smith is not a big fan of skilled finesse players like Logan Brown or Bobby Ryan. Guys that don't look like they are working hard all over the ice or covering a lot of territory with a non-stop motor. But those guys can make plays though, something that can't be said of many forwards currently on the team.

The only pure skill forward getting ice-time is Anthony Duclair, and it's probably just because he has tremendous skating. Same with Chabot, smoothest skater on the ice most nights. Also Namestnikov gets good ice-time because he's another good skater. So basically, if you have skill, you also need to be a plus skater if you want ice-time in Smith's system

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I dont dissagree with how Smith wants them to play, I love it in fact and think he has done a good job. But if you have watched Tyler Ennis play hockey this year there is a somewhat of a double standard when it comes to Logan Brown.

Chlapik did everything the coach has asked and in my opinion played the game exactly like he wants and he got very little ice time and is now down in Belleville. At some point if the right offer comes along they should be moving some of these vets and forcing DJ to play some of the young guys more.

I think Brown is ready to play in the NHL but if he isnt going to get enough ice time he should be in the AHL. He only has 79 pro games in his career, I definitely think he has more developing to benefit from down in Beleville if he isnt getting the ice time with the big club. Would rather see Chlapik playing in the 4th line role personally.

I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing him along until February. Logan has to play the right way , and he will

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
DJ Smith is not a big fan of skilled finesse players like Logan Brown or Bobby Ryan. Guys that don't look like they are working hard all over the ice or covering a lot of territory with a non-stop motor. But those guys can make plays though, something that can't be said of many forwards currently on the team.

The only pure skill forward getting ice-time is Anthony Duclair, and it's probably just because he has tremendous skating. Same with Chabot, smoothest skater on the ice most nights. Also Namestnikov gets good ice-time because he's another good skater. So basically, if you have skill, you also need to be a plus skater if you want ice-time in Smith's system
I dunno. On the surface, it just looks like he's favouring vets. Davidsson is a great skater and he's averaging 5:43. Tierney is a poor skater and is one of our lazier forwards, he gets 16:41.

Anisimov is at 14:33 vs Brown at 12:01. At times its hard to tell these 2 guys apart but the one getting the ice time is the one that's less productive and 10 years older.

Reactions: Cosmix

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Chabot has a lot to learn about playing D in the NHL.

He has the potential to be great, but not enough D IQ.
He has defensive assets that people tend not to notice. He wins a lot of puck battles down low and gets the puck out of danger with a possession-retaining pass instead of just dumping it out to centre. He has to be more physical and more conscious of who he's up against. His skating and offensive IQ are exceptional, so he's easily smart and skilled enough to be an elite defender.

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

I don't think it is a system thing. I think its a current NHL thing. Its not about skill and size but more about skill and foot speed. teams who play fast and can skate are doing well in the current nhl. Slow big team teams not so much. We see the LA kings and we see guys like Lucic just being phased out

Though fast players who have size and can skate has always been wanted by teams and coaches in the nhl. If DJ had a Eichel or Matthews he would play them for sure

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I agree with this but seriously though, Tkachuk has been about as solid as a 20 year-old player can be, and he isn't riding anyone's coattails either, he's a wrecking ball out there. It's really strange how someone can't enjoy watching this kid play. He brings it every night and every teammate has nothing but praise for him.
BT has that special talent to make all his teammates play "bigger". He is not intimidated or afraid of anyone or any situation and that rubs off on all of them.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

You have made a huge assumption from very little here. Good that you seem so convinced from such a small sample size.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Amazing. Primeau told reporters that Tkachuk texted him before the game to tell him that he was going to steal the puck if the Canadiens won. Lol

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Amazing. Primeau told reporters that Tkachuk texted him before the game to tell him that he was going to steal the puck if the Canadiens won. Lol

Do you have a link for this? (I’m not doubting you I’d just like to send it to all my crying Habs fan family members)

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad