GDT: Game 32 | Senators @ Canadiens | Battle of the 417 Edition | Sat Dec 11th 7:30PM | SN, RDS

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I love Chabot, but that brought back painful memories from 2003 -- Karel Rachunek going after a guy who was covered and leaving Jeff Friesen all alone to knock the best Senators team ever out of the playoffs.

Thanks for ruining my day.

Any post referencing that Friesen goal needs to come with a dang trigger warning.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What's happening to Nick Paul's ice time? He is much more noticeable on the ice than Tierney, Namestnikov and Anisimov, all of whom played close to 5 minutes more than Paul.
All 3 of those guys are offensively more skilled. Paul bangs bodies, he forechecks, he's hatd to play against but he's just not very productive offensively and likely never will be

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
All 3 of those guys are offensively more skilled. Paul bangs bodies, he forechecks, he's hatd to play against but he's just not very productive offensively and likely never will be
I think this is debateable. Maybe Namestnikov, but even then, outside of the first few games he played, Names has been relatively quiet.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I dont see how anyone can justify playing Anisimov over him other than due to position. Paul is outscoring him from a ppg perspective with no pp time and worse linemates. He just does so much more out there. I agree he should be playing more and was noticably better last night.

That decision by Chabot in overtime is one of the most perplexing I have seen in a very long time watching NHL hockey. He directed Tkachuk to the puck carrier then left his man and followed the puck.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Just seems like Smith is burying the rookies. He managed to get Brannstrom off the roster now he's doing what he can with Brown and Davidsson. Throw em all on the 4th line, give them 10 minutes. Rinse, repeat.

Seen this before. Coaches gonna coach.
DJ just dying to get Jordan Szwarz back up here.

I am also quite confused as to why Max Lajoie keeps getting scratched in favor of 30 year old Cody Golobouf, another guy with zero future in this organization.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
One thing I'll say about Chabot that I've mentioned before is that he has this knack to hold onto the puck for too long at times. Often leads to him getting stripped or the pass/shot is blocked for deflected. Almost looks nonchalent.
He will learn from it. I’ve noticed it too but I think young guys like this in the off season look at stuff like this and adjust. He’s young. He will learn.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just seems like Smith is burying the rookies. He managed to get Brannstrom off the roster now he's doing what he can with Brown and Davidsson. Throw em all on the 4th line, give them 10 minutes. Rinse, repeat.

Seen this before. Coaches gonna coach.
10 minutes on a good day. In an effort to win or compete he shortens the bench a lot of the time. The 4th line callups frequently end up sub 7 minutes. Its not because they are not trying when they get a chance. Being a good 4th line player is usually about being responsible, not hurting the team and giving the top line players a rest its not so much about making plays.

Listening to Garrioch echo what he thinks the coaches sentiments are is pretty funny.. Coming off a healthy scratch and getting 6 minutes or so.. Garrioch tells us Logan Brown has to make a difference , make plays when he's out there. The 4th line is basically short shifted most of the time and are playing a 4th line role... Get it out. Dump it in.. and then its usually change.. Not a game Logan Brown is used to playing.

I get what DJ is doing. Its lunch pail hockey which is all about out working your opponent and being solid in your own end. It fits a player like Connor Brown to a T.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Listening to Garrioch echo what he thinks the coaches sentiments are is pretty funny.. Coming off a healthy scratch and getting 6 minutes or so.. Garrioch tells us Logan Brown has to make a difference , make plays when he's out there. The 4th line is basically short shifted most of the time and are playing a 4th line role... Get it out. Dump it in.. and then its usually change.. Not a game Logan Brown is used to playing.
Team 1200 has basically echoed the exact same thing since he has been demoted. Its almost as if the team sends its messaging out through the media :sarcasm:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Team 1200 has basically echoed the exact same thing since he has been demoted. Its almost as if the team sends its messaging out through the media :sarcasm:
Do you think the team should be releasing PR messaging on why Brown is getting less ice and what specifically he needs to do to get more ice time?

At times i find your demands for information child like to the point that I question your sincerity or motives in posting here

Smith coaches a certain way. He expects certain things. It seems to me he's been quite public about it. Then you watch Brown play. I don't think he'd benefit from going to Belleville but i think there are clearly some things he needs to learn at the NHL level. I'm not quite sure i understand what youre implying about 1200. They are guys getting paud to talk hockey. I honestly don't think it is that hard to listen to Smith talk hockey, then watch the games and connect the dots on ice time.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I dont see how anyone can justify playing Anisimov over him other than due to position. Paul is outscoring him from a ppg perspective with no pp time and worse linemates. He just does so much more out there. I agree he should be playing more and was noticably better last night.

That decision by Chabot in overtime is one of the most perplexing I have seen in a very long time watching NHL hockey. He directed Tkachuk to the puck carrier then left his man and followed the puck.

Chabot has a lot to learn about playing D in the NHL.

He has the potential to be great, but not enough D IQ.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
10 minutes on a good day. In an effort to win or compete he shortens the bench a lot of the time. The 4th line callups frequently end up sub 7 minutes. Its not because they are not trying when they get a chance. Being a good 4th line player is usually about being responsible, not hurting the team and giving the top line players a rest its not so much about making plays.

I get what DJ is doing. Its lunch pail hockey which is all about out working your opponent and being solid in your own end. It fits a player like Connor Brown to a T.

Almost every time I listen to Garrioch, I wish I had not.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Do you think the team should be releasing PR messaging on why Brown is getting less ice and what specifically he needs to do to get more ice time?

At times i find your demands for information child like to the point that I question your sincerity or motives in posting here

Smith coaches a certain way. He expects certain things. It seems to me he's been quite public about it. Then you watch Brown play. I don't think he'd benefit from going to Belleville but i think there are clearly some things he needs to learn at the NHL level. I'm not quite sure i understand what youre implying about 1200. They are guys getting paud to talk hockey. I honestly don't think it is that hard to listen to Smith talk hockey, then watch the games and connect the dots on ice time.
You are getting yourself way too worked up over a post on a message board. The ignore button is an option.

And yes I do find the team is much better at messaging this year by having the media relay the message the org wants to get across. Way better idea than letting Dorion speak.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I dont dissagree with how Smith wants them to play, I love it in fact and think he has done a good job. But if you have watched Tyler Ennis play hockey this year there is a somewhat of a double standard when it comes to Logan Brown.

Chlapik did everything the coach has asked and in my opinion played the game exactly like he wants and he got very little ice time and is now down in Belleville. At some point if the right offer comes along they should be moving some of these vets and forcing DJ to play some of the young guys more.

I think Brown is ready to play in the NHL but if he isnt going to get enough ice time he should be in the AHL. He only has 79 pro games in his career, I definitely think he has more developing to benefit from down in Beleville if he isnt getting the ice time with the big club. Would rather see Chlapik playing in the 4th line role personally.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I dont dissagree with how Smith wants them to play, I love it in fact and think he has done a good job. But if you have watched Tyler Ennis play hockey this year there is a somewhat of a double standard when it comes to Logan Brown.

Chlapik did everything the coach has asked and in my opinion played the game exactly like he wants and he got very little ice time and is now down in Belleville. At some point if the right offer comes along they should be moving some of these vets and forcing DJ to play some of the young guys more.

I think Brown is ready to play in the NHL but if he isnt going to get enough ice time he should be in the AHL. He only has 79 pro games in his career, I definitely think he has more developing to benefit from down in Beleville if he isnt getting the ice time with the big club. Would rather see Chlapik playing in the 4th line role personally.

I think Chaplik is a victim of the numbers game....just too many guys.

I was a big advocate of Brown making the team in the summer. Then i saw him live in pre season and he looked a bit slow to me. When he got the call up initially, i thought he was going harder than what i see now. Maybe that's just me. I also don't know if going down helps him. If the lesson is compete harder, I'm not sure what sending him to a lower level where he can dominate without elevating his compete level accomplishes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad