Post-Game Talk: GAME 32 - 20 Home Game = 38 Points - BRUINS 3 Winterpeg 2 F

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Bounces, breaks, and other intangibles have been going the Bruins’ way most of the season. But little went right Thursday night for the Bruins until late in the second period of a 3-2 win over the Winnipeg Jets at TD Garden.
After falling behind behind by two goals, the Bruins (26-4-2) cut the deficit off a weird carom that went directly to David Pastrnak, setting him up for one of the lowest degree of difficulty goals of his career.
“You don’t get many of these,” Pastrnak said. “That was [a] nice bounce and I just hit the net.”
The Pastrnak goal seemed to shift the momentum, and Jake DeBrusk’s power-play equalizer set the stage for a strong finish, provided by Nick Foligno when he converted the decider at 11:08 of the third period.

“A fortuitous bounce like that [to Pastrnak] usually happens when everything’s going your way and your team’s playing well,” Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. “But we were not playing to our game at that point and I give credit to the Jets.”

Pastrnak’s 22d goal of the season seemed to come out nowhere. The boards turned friendly for the Bruins, as a Trent Frederic dump-in popped out in front, leaving Winnipeg goalie Connor Hellebuyck stranded behind the net.

“I was just hoping I won’t hit him,” Pastrnak said.

By the time Hellebuyck recovered, it was too late, Pastrnak easily finishing at 12:08 of the second period.

“We were relieved,” Montgomery said. “Because the crowd got into it and we started to play a lot better.”

Pastrnak then set up the equalizer, finding DeBrusk out front for a tip-in for his 12th goal of the season at 15:00.

“I thought we were skating pretty well in the first [but] we got a couple tough bounces, maybe weren’t as focused as we should be,” Pastrnak said. “That’s a hell of a team we beat, they’re not easy to play. Your focus can slip and a couple mistakes and tough bounces [but] we were able to come back again and this is huge for confidence moving forward.

“You need these games, these comebacks to kind of believe in yourself. Every single guy knows we can do it and believes in it. And if you have [20] guys rolling like that and believing you can come back, usually that’s what happens.”

“I thought they did the best job we have faced as far as the forecheck and really good sticks,” Montgomery said of the Jets. “Unfortunately, we didn’t manage the puck well but I give credit to them for how determined they were checking us.”

Reactions: hrdpuk and GoBs

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Someone posted something last night about how this is the most fun team they've seen since 2011. I'd agree, though would put 2012-2014 in the must-see-tv category. Then go down by 2 goals in the first period and I'm just like "yeah, they'll come back". And they always do. This is something special.

Definitely the most fun since the Lucic/Thomas days.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

Bounces, breaks, and other intangibles have been going the Bruins’ way most of the season. But little went right Thursday night for the Bruins until late in the second period of a 3-2 win over the Winnipeg Jets at TD Garden.
After falling behind behind by two goals, the Bruins (26-4-2) cut the deficit off a weird carom that went directly to David Pastrnak, setting him up for one of the lowest degree of difficulty goals of his career.
“You don’t get many of these,” Pastrnak said. “That was [a] nice bounce and I just hit the net.”
The Pastrnak goal seemed to shift the momentum, and Jake DeBrusk’s power-play equalizer set the stage for a strong finish, provided by Nick Foligno when he converted the decider at 11:08 of the third period.

“A fortuitous bounce like that [to Pastrnak] usually happens when everything’s going your way and your team’s playing well,” Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. “But we were not playing to our game at that point and I give credit to the Jets.”

Pastrnak’s 22d goal of the season seemed to come out nowhere. The boards turned friendly for the Bruins, as a Trent Frederic dump-in popped out in front, leaving Winnipeg goalie Connor Hellebuyck stranded behind the net.

“I was just hoping I won’t hit him,” Pastrnak said.

By the time Hellebuyck recovered, it was too late, Pastrnak easily finishing at 12:08 of the second period.

“We were relieved,” Montgomery said. “Because the crowd got into it and we started to play a lot better.”

Pastrnak then set up the equalizer, finding DeBrusk out front for a tip-in for his 12th goal of the season at 15:00.

“I thought we were skating pretty well in the first [but] we got a couple tough bounces, maybe weren’t as focused as we should be,” Pastrnak said. “That’s a hell of a team we beat, they’re not easy to play. Your focus can slip and a couple mistakes and tough bounces [but] we were able to come back again and this is huge for confidence moving forward.

“You need these games, these comebacks to kind of believe in yourself. Every single guy knows we can do it and believes in it. And if you have [20] guys rolling like that and believing you can come back, usually that’s what happens.”

“I thought they did the best job we have faced as far as the forecheck and really good sticks,” Montgomery said of the Jets. “Unfortunately, we didn’t manage the puck well but I give credit to them for how determined they were checking us.”
Good one Wally, enjoyable read
Does seem like every team the Bruins have played is missing some top guys very similar to what the Bruins went through early in the season.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
*runs around the forum high fiving everyone and dunking victory cookies in eggnog*

20200201_151123.gif

VICTORY COOKIES!!!!

Triple-Chocolate-Cookies-SpendWithPennies-21-500x500.jpg

David Coyle is sorry to be late, had to finish Christmas shopping :xtree:

Another s.l.o.w. start. Something has to be done about this, it's bad habit to get into to think you can putz around for a period and half & then just turn the jets on.

Very happy for Uncle Nick to score another goal, he's definitely my choice for 7th Player and I'm running out of ketchup for all the crow he's making me eat.

Jeremy Swayman locked down after letting those 2 goals in, we have the best goaltending tandem in the NHL and that is a hill I'll die on.

We have a very special team here. Let's enjoy the ride 🚄

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
We lost power about an hour ago. I love my generator.

My daughter landed safely at Logan and is on the airport shuttle to my house. I usually pick her up but am baking.

It is VERY warm here in Southern NH.

We were very lucky here, we never lost power. A lot of rain though.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Looking at this team they could possibly have 10 or 11 guys who score 10+ --- not sure how big a deal that is, based on the times but what they've done so far regarding balance is pretty impressive.
I pulled up the regular season stats from 2010-2011: We had 10 forwards and 1 defenseman who scored double digit goals during the season. I remember my dad pointing that stat out as a good omen for playoff success.

Looch 30 (insert empty net joke here)
Horty 26
Patrice 22
Brad 21
Ryder 18
Rex 14
Z 14
Krecj 13
Campbell 13
Segs 11
Thorty 10

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Love Cliffy but has he been on ice for last 5 gioals vs Winnipeg & Panthers ?

Seems it

Craig Smith had a heck of a game

Big fan of Foligno & Smith as wingers on the Waiver Line
they gotta get him back with lindolm.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I pulled up the regular season stats from 2010-2011: We had 10 forwards and 1 defenseman who scored double digit goals during the season. I remember my dad pointing that stat out as a good omen for playoff success.

Looch 30 (insert empty net joke here)
Horty 26
Patrice 22
Brad 21
Ryder 18
Rex 14
Z 14
Krecj 13
Campbell 13
Segs 11
Thorty 10
Kelly and Peverly also topped 10 goals that year, though most of them were in Ottawa and Atlanta respectively. And Wheeler also scored 10 goals prior to being traded out. But I count 13 10+ goal scorers on the playoff roster, which isn't bad at all.

Reactions: BMC and ProdigalFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad