GDT: Game #31| Mar. 24, 2013| Flyers at Penguins | 7:30 p.m. ET

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
Simmer isn't the MVP of this team, therefore he is fair game. If Simmer's league wide ranking in goals, assists, and points was anywhere near the exemplary stats that Bryz has posted in GAA and Save %, then MAYBE he'd get a pass.

But that's simply not the case.

I really lol'd reading this one. Was this serious?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
They played well for the most part but as far as it played out that was as bad as it could go. Thought we would actually end up stopping Pittsburgh's streak then we blow it in oh so hilarious fashion. To make it worse we get a point out of it so instead of going down in the standings (or even up if you're naive enough to believe we have the potential to do anything in the playoffs still) we ended up in what's essentially a middle-ground.

Just a **** night.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thought the team played well.
BUMzgolav even had a good game.

The game had an '08 playoff feel to it where the usually offensive powerhouse that is Pitt struggled to put the puck in the net. So when the NHL in all its unbiased wisdom saw the opportunity to put us down two men and get Pitt back in it they made sure it happened.

Missed the Simmer penalty so can not comment on the validity of that call but the Kimmo call was just about as tic tac as it gets. The stick had zero impact on the quality of the shot the Pitt player could get off. It was a play I saw at least 3 other times throughout the game by both teams; yet during a vital time in the game we get burnt because we are up a goal and Pitt is struggling.

Garbage NHL politics at its best.

Especially frustrating since earlier in the game, Cooke speared and hooked the living hell out of Coburn (I think) while he was on the ice and getting up. He kept doing it until he was nearly standing. He made no attempt play the puck, he was just going after Coburn with his stick. The ref standing right next to him decides it's legit; Coburn looked like he considered going after Cooke but controlled himself. Then Timonen has the slightest of hooks late in the game and it's a penalty. Those late, weak penalties after letting them play all game sure do happen a lot against Pittsburgh.

RJ8812*

on a related note, I don't understand the hate for Fedotenko. A see people think he's been terrible, but I think he's a fine role player and a good PKer

I guess fans just need players to point the finger at

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
on a related note, I don't understand the hate for Fedotenko. A see people think he's been terrible, but I think he's a fine role player and a good PKer

I guess fans just need players to point the finger at

He struggled a lot early on, shifting from the Rangers' system to the Flyers' with no training camp. He's been solid defensively since he adjusted. There's basically no offense to be had with the guy, but he's done well enough in his own end to make that OK.

RJ8812*

He struggled a lot early on, shifting from the Rangers' system to the Flyers' with no training camp. He's been solid defensively since he adjusted. There's basically no offense to be had with the guy, but he's done well enough in his own end to make that OK.

We never signed him for his offense. We signed him for his defensive game and work on the PK. Just like we did with Talbot. Any offense we get from these guys is great, but not expected.

I remember reading an article bashing Talbot for his offensive output this year...:shakehead. Sure, he gave us 20 goals last year, but that was unexpected and not why we signed him

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We never signed him for his offense. We signed him for his defensive game and work on the PK. Just like we did with Talbot. Any offense we get from these guys is great, but not expected.

I remember reading an article bashing Talbot for his offensive output this year...:shakehead. Sure, he gave us 20 goals last year, but that was unexpected and not why we signed him

Oh I agree. I never expected any offense from him. He's been everything I expected when we signed him, and I was pretty happy with the signing; so, I'm pretty happy with signing him.

There's always someone somewhere reading who will think or say "but he doesn't score lolz" so I thought it worthwhile to point out that his defense makes up for that.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Fedotenko and Talbot are the main reasons why the PK has been so good this year. Its gotta be a top 3 PK after the first 5 or 6 games when it seemed everyone was scoring on the PP against the Flyers. Since then the PK has been outstanding.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Fedotenko and Talbot are the main reasons why the PK has been so good this year. Its gotta be a top 3 PK after the first 5 or 6 games when it seemed everyone was scoring on the PP against the Flyers. Since then the PK has been outstanding.

7th in PK and 7th in PP this season... yet we have this kind of record...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Edmonton has the forward talent, but whenever I watch them play their blue liners are often a total nonfactor. It's basically 3 forwards trying to get it done themselves much of the time.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Especially frustrating since earlier in the game, Cooke speared and hooked the living hell out of Coburn (I think) while he was on the ice and getting up. He kept doing it until he was nearly standing. He made no attempt play the puck, he was just going after Coburn with his stick. The ref standing right next to him decides it's legit; Coburn looked like he considered going after Cooke but controlled himself. Then Timonen has the slightest of hooks late in the game and it's a penalty. Those late, weak penalties after letting them play all game sure do happen a lot against Pittsburgh.
Coburn also got away with that hit on Dupuis, so I don't think the refs were biased against us. Simmonds took a dumb penalty, and Timonen did hook whoever it was. So I don't see anything wrong with the calls made there, we deserved to go down two men.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Coburn also got away with that hit on Dupuis, so I don't think the refs were biased against us. Simmonds took a dumb penalty, and Timonen did hook whoever it was. So I don't see anything wrong with the calls made there, we deserved to go down two men.

Compared to what had been allowed earlier in the game (as well as after), that hooking call was pretty weak IMO. I don't think it even interfered with the scoring chance.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
so a loss can never be on bryz as a single player. but Simmer is fair game?

i've blamed Bryz for losses many times. this year, he has partial blame in several games [for not being able to overcome this teams general lack of hustle, awful Team D & numerous turnovers]

last night, as it turns out, the team did a better job of limiting PITT, fewer turnovers, seemed to hustle most of the game ..... and Bryz helped when they gave up the few odd man chances.

last year, there were 10 games or so where Bryz was, indeed, the main culprit. almost all before Jan 1.

last night, Simmer stupid penalty directly led to goal #1 & he was awful defensively on goal #2.

this year, Jake, Simmonds & Bryz have been the best Flyers, no doubt.

last night Simmer cost us.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Compared to what had been allowed earlier in the game (as well as after), that hooking call was pretty weak IMO. I don't think it even interfered with the scoring chance.

A blatant hook like that will always be called. Kimmo should have just let Bryz try to make the save.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Actually, I have several severe doubts about Bryz being one of the best Flyers this year. Voracek and Simmonds? Sure.

A blatant hook like that will always be called. Kimmo should have just let Bryz try to make the save.

Eh, it doesn't always get called though. Sometimes it actually works, and it's generally not a good idea to let someone skate in alone on Bryz. With the amount the refs were letting go Timonen probably didn't expect to get called. It's not a terrible penalty to risk taking, but coupled with the Simmonds slash it became worse than it should have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad