GDT: Game #31| Mar. 24, 2013| Flyers at Penguins | 7:30 p.m. ET

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Doubt anyone wants that.

As long as there is a chance to make the playoffs, why would you ever root against that chance?

Because there's a great deal of merit in looking ahead to next season and beyond.

I get why people disagree on this. I don't get the implication of moral superiority that seems to come with it. :laugh":

EDIT: The goal is to win a championship. I don't think it is a stretch to suggest that a late-season run (combined with some futures-for-fixes moves) does less to help the team achieve that goal than standing pat or trading off.

No one is calling for them to throw games. They'd simply prefer the team perform in a way that accurately demonstrates its strengths and its weaknesses, so that the latter can be addressed and the team improved for next season.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
No, not really. Pinning this all on Simmonds is a joke. It's on everyone not named Bryz, from the coaching staff on down, for the teams utterly stagnant and dessicated even strength scoring ability.

Simmonds did take the dumb penalty that gave them the PP chance then Timonen pretty much had to do what he did.
Other then that I agree with you. I really thought they were playing not to lose. They did do a pretty decent job defensively for the most part considering Gervais and Foster were in the lineup. Bryz played great tonight. he did his job. If it was'n't for Tanner Glass they likely get shutout.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
One good thing we can take away from this is Bryz played very well, the long break clearly helped him, hopefully he can get some rest and Lavi won't be afraid to start Leighton every couple of games now, we're really to the point of not contending for the playoffs so there isn't a whole lot of reason to keep overworking Bryz.

It was a lot of fun to watch, but I'm not reading too deeply into it yet. He's had solid games followed by "meh" in the past.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I will say, it was fun as hell tonight watching Bryz making some really aggressive saves. Like the one on Cooke where he just threw his arm out there and slammed it down like Mutombo.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
In this discussion of the nobility of being a true-blue fan, I think there's something to be said about getting some emotional objectivity. Like healthyscratch said, I don't get upset when the Flyers lose, and I'm good with rooting for the teams around them in the standings. To me, the OTL tonight is worst-case scenario: I wanted them to end the Penguins' streak, but the loser point adds nothing to the team's overall benefit.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Do some people seriously think this team is going to make a run with 17 games left and make the playoffs?

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Simmonds did take the dumb penalty that gave them the PP chance then Timonen pretty much had to do what he did.
Other then that I agree with you. I really thought they were playing not to lose. They did do a pretty decent job defensively for the most part considering Gervais and Foster were in the lineup. Bryz played great tonight. he did his job. If it was'n't for Tanner Glass they likely get shutout.

The problem with the penalties is how many the Pens get away with. Orpik nailed Giroux at the blue line and he'd never even had the puck. Blatant interference, then he crosschecked Voracek. If our guys did that to Crosby, it would be called. That's the bullcrap double standard I hate about the NHL.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
The problem with the penalties is how many the Pens get away with. Orpik nailed Giroux at the blue line and he'd never even had the puck. Blatant interference, then he crosschecked Voracek. If our guys did that to Crosby, it would be called. That's the bullcrap double standard I hate about the NHL.

5 on 3 late in the game with the game on the line.

happens all the time with that team.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009

They did do a pretty decent job defensively for the most part

Bryz played great tonight.

completely agree with these parts of your your post. i think they limited the odd man rushes / turnovers against a high scoring team on a hot streak & when they faltered the few times, Bryz helped out.

saving a goal by taking a penalty is one thing ...... no excuse for what Simmonds did [like Hartnell the other night]

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

eh I think the refs pretty much let em play tonight. 2 minor penalties called before Simmonds went stupid. Normally I agree with you. Just not tonight.
Coburn could of been called for boarding in the closing seconds as well.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
eh I think the refs pretty much let em play tonight. 2 minor penalties called before Simmonds went stupid. Normally I agree with you. Just not tonight.
Coburn could of been called for boarding in the closing seconds as well.

Forearm shivers to our star player (Giroux) particularly after Giroux had his wrists wrecked by Crosby's antics in the playoff series cannot go uncalled. How many injuries to Giroux is it going to take? If Crosby is touched, it's a penalty, but guys can charge Giroux when he doesn't have the puck and there's no calls?

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
Going 3-0-1 over the next 4 is minimum it'll take to be a .500 team going into the deadline, so maybe management will sell or stand pat at the deadline for once. I'd like to see Briere and Fedotenko shipped off but they probably won't return very much. I was on board for sending Meszaros out but he's only got another year left on his deal and upgrading our defense will be much harder if we move a player like Mesz unless we're getting an prospect back that's close to making an NHL impact.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
so a loss can never be on bryz as a single player. but Simmer is fair game?

got ya. hahaa

Simmer isn't the MVP of this team, therefore he is fair game. If Simmer's league wide ranking in goals, assists, and points was anywhere near the exemplary stats that Bryz has posted in GAA and Save %, then MAYBE he'd get a pass.

But that's simply not the case.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Thought the team played well.
BUMzgolav even had a good game.

The game had an '08 playoff feel to it where the usually offensive powerhouse that is Pitt struggled to put the puck in the net. So when the NHL in all its unbiased wisdom saw the opportunity to put us down two men and get Pitt back in it they made sure it happened.

Missed the Simmer penalty so can not comment on the validity of that call but the Kimmo call was just about as tic tac as it gets. The stick had zero impact on the quality of the shot the Pitt player could get off. It was a play I saw at least 3 other times throughout the game by both teams; yet during a vital time in the game we get burnt because we are up a goal and Pitt is struggling.

Garbage NHL politics at its best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad