GDT: Game #30 Vancouver Canucks @ Your Columbus Blue Jackets 12-11-18

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The CBJ are:

Tied for 16th in points-34.

They rank 9th in goals for
They rank 25th in goals against

They are 15th in goals differential. They are even.

They are 25th on the PP
They are 17th on the PK

I guess all of the "bounces" and "luck" have really gone against them so far.

Of their 9 remaining games this month, only 2 are against teams currently in a playoff berth position in the standings. Add in the first 2 games of the new year and it's 9 of 11 versus opponents outside the playoff line. If the the CBJ can't make hay against these doormats, it's going to be a long, long season.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The CBJ are:

Tied for 16th in points-34.

They rank 9th in goals for
They rank 25th in goals against

They are 15th in goals differential. They are even.

They are 25th on the PP
They are 17th on the PK

I guess all of the "bounces" and "luck" have really gone against them so far.

Of their 9 remaining games this month, only 2 are against teams currently in a playoff berth position in the standings. Add in the first 2 games of the new year and it's 9 of 11 versus opponents outside the playoff line. If the the CBJ can't make hay against these doormats, it's going to be a long, long season.

And going .500 or worse at home is not going to cut it in a playoff race... Home ice doesn't seem to matter to this team.

Reactions: Cowumbus

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Jones’ goal is his 36th with the Blue Jackets, tying him with Jack Johnson for fourth on the franchise list. Only Rostislav Klesla (41) and Fedor Tyutin (39) have more. Here’s the catch: Jones has played 217 games with Columbus, half as many as any of the guys mentioned in this paragraph. Klesla played 515, Tyutin 553 and Johnson 445

Positive stat of the night and speaks for how talented Jones is..

The Blue Jackets have lost four consecutive to the Canucks overall and five consecutive in Nationwide Arena. They haven’t beaten Vancouver in regulation since March 19, 2015. The last win in Nationwide was on Oct. 20, 2013, when Marian Gaborik, R.J. Umberger and Ryan Johansen scored for Columbus in a 3-2 win.

Negative stat of the night, and hard to believe...

According to moneypuck.com, Virtanen’s shot had just a 1.5 percent chance of becoming a goal.

WTF stat of the night ;)

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
The second goal deflected twice; that's why he was out of position. Not much he could do there.

The third, OTOH, yeah.
Eh, after going back and watching the highlight, I still think he was out of position regardless. He tried to play the initial shot, which was going wide, to the point where it would have left him unable to get back in position if anything other than the shot hitting him happened, which is what occurred. 3rd goal obviously should've been stopped.

That being said, this loss was 60-70% bad luck, 30-40% Korpi, IMO.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Eh, after going back and watching the highlight, I still think he was out of position regardless. He tried to play the initial shot, which was going wide, to the point where it would have left him unable to get back in position if anything other than the shot hitting him happened, which is what occurred.
:dunno: Fair enough. I don't think of that as a bad decision per se, but I can see why you might.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well the one thing that I got out of being at last night's game is the resolve to never use Stanly Steamer for anything. That puppy ad was just so, so, so Pooh.

Reactions: CPTN71

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Don't disagree about two goals being lucky. Suggest you read a prior post on the second being a goal that deflected its way end. I would disagree if you are saying they didn't allow a lot of play in their own end.
I have to peel back on my post claiming the top line spent too much time in their own end. Alison's stats in today's The Athletic tell me more favorable story on their offensive work. My eyes - for the first time :laugh: :laugh: - deceived me.....(But it was good wine).

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I have to peel back on my post claiming the top line spent too much time in their own end. Alison's stats in today's The Athletic tell me more favorable story on their offensive work. My eyes - for the first time :laugh: :laugh: - deceived me.....(But it was good wine).
matchups_2018_12_11_2018020469_VANatCBJ.png

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
You could see their third goal coming from the face-off.
CBJ spent the entire third period trying to kill off the time and hold on for the win. Minute by minute they lost momentum and became more desperate to "not lose".

I have become completely cynical and bitter when listening to the CBJ marketing; "Come and see your team as they enter a critical six (no five...., no four) game homestand." They do not play as if it were critical, they do not play as if they were at home at all.
And people are beginning to notice.
Here's a Problem: The Blue Jackets Don’t Have A Home Ice Advantage at Nationwide Arena
Asked my wife if she wanted to go to any of the home games in the next two weeks, and she answered "Why? They don't play well at home"

major major

Feb 18, 2013
CBJ spent the entire third period trying to kill off the time and hold on for the win.

I think folks are importing this narrative from previous games. It's not what happened last night. You can look at the charts and see where the play was over the course of the game. In the third the play was largely in Vancouver's end. The Canucks just got very lucky.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
CBJ spent the entire third period trying to kill off the time and hold on for the win. Minute by minute they lost momentum and became more desperate to "not lose".

I have become completely cynical and bitter when listening to the CBJ marketing; "Come and see your team as they enter a critical six (no five...., no four) game homestand." They do not play as if it were critical, they do not play as if they were at home at all.
Here's a Problem: The Blue Jackets Don’t Have A Home Ice Advantage at Nationwide Arena
Asked my wife if she wanted to go to any of the home games in the next two weeks, and she answered "Why? They don't play well at home"
Worst thing CBJ did was try to make it family friendly and over PC.

Where are the “you suck” chants after goals and that sort of thing. The booing when certain players touch the puck. I’m 21 and I miss those days.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The head coach says otherwise.

Does he? I watched last night's presser and he said the team was better, Vancouver just got lucky.

Perhaps he was referring to one or two shifts where Vancouver got in our zone, and the plays on those shifts. The third as a whole wasn't a bad period at all.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I've been to four home games this season. Last night, the Calgary debacle, a loss vs. Detroit in October and a win vs. Colorado at the beginning of the season. The CBJ haven't looked good in any of them-including the win. I've only been to weeknight games so far, but the crowd enthusiasm is minimal as well.

Something is missing with this team. It seems to lack energy and poise. It doesn't have an identity that I can put my finger on-although in this new, virtual no checking league-I might find that with any team. Or not.

The team is a .500 team (if one includes a loser point) at home. There's hardly any hitting and no fighting. My enthusiasm is waning and I've been going to hockey games for roughly 50 years. The Bluejackets and the game itself are becoming less entertaining, so I hardly fault people for not wanting to go to games.

Reactions: CPTN71

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Does he? I watched last night's presser and he said the team was better, Vancouver just got lucky.

Perhaps he was referring to one or two shifts where Vancouver got in our zone, and the plays on those shifts. The third as a whole wasn't a bad period at all.
He was interview on 97.1 the fan today and talked about it, around 2pm

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think folks are importing this narrative from previous games. It's not what happened last night. You can look at the charts and see where the play was over the course of the game. In the third the play was largely in Vancouver's end. The Canucks just got very lucky.

In statistical history books the Jackets will be at least 4 time SC champs and at least hosed out of two more due to just plain bad luck. :sarcasm:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
The great Nik Lidstrom once was quoted as saying "Great teams should be upset at losing two in a row, and never, ever dream of losing three in a row."

This "it's only 5 games" BS is indicative of the classic CBJ fan mindset.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The great Nik Lidstrom once was quoted as saying "Great teams should be upset at losing two in a row, and never, ever dream of losing three in a row."

This "it's only 5 games" BS is indicative of the classic CBJ fan mindset.

They lost two in a row, not five. My response was to someone who wanted to dump players in response to a game the team clearly played well in and would have won if not for the most obvious luck you'll ever see. I highly doubt Nick Lidstrom would ever support dumping players in response to a loss like that. He's a smart person.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Worst thing CBJ did was try to make it family friendly and over PC.

Where are the “you suck” chants after goals and that sort of thing. The booing when certain players touch the puck. I’m 21 and I miss those days.
You should have heard us boo the heck out of that NASCAR driver!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad