GDT: Game #30 Vancouver Canucks @ Your Columbus Blue Jackets 12-11-18

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Wennberg+Duclair scoring chances for-1, against -7.HD chances for-0 against-5.

They're an awful combination, it's official. This is the first time it's been Bjorky on their other wing and it didn't change things for the better. Split them up.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
They're an awful combination, it's official. This is the first time it's been Bjorky on their other wing and it didn't change things for the better. Split them up.
But where does Duclair go if not with Wennberg? He absolutely does not mesh with Nash and Hannikainen.

Do you put him with Jenner and Anderson? Do you break up the top line?

Maybe it is time to move Wennberg to wing?

Reactions: CPTN71

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
He is the 3C, you know that right? Tonight Wennberg actually had fewer minutes than Riley Nash, not quite 10 minutes at evens. If you want us to add a top-six center than you can call for that, it's not the same as complaining about Wennberg. And either way it's panicky to stress personnel after a bad luck game.
He absolutely is our 2C. You know that as well. Just because Jenner/Foligno play center does not mean they belong, or are.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
There’s no doubt though that they need to go out and get a legit 2c. Wennberg is killing whatever line he’s on , production . If the jackets rally wanted to keep Panarin, they would strike while the iron is hot in St Louis , and get Tarasenko . Probably mean Werenski , plus , plus , but St Louis may be looking to move him

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Hon, that’s what I like to call a Ad Hominem Fallacy!!

You know damn well that I said he is a 3C, and 3Cs can be packaged for better players. Anisimov is a good example.

Who wouldn't want an upgrade on Wennberg? You don't think Jarmo would do it? It takes two to trade and right now there isn't any team willing to downgrade their centers for a plus.

I really don't think upgrading is what is implied by "trade Wennberg now". Anyways if upgrading is your new position, then welcome to the club, it's crowded.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
O’Reilly for Berglund +
Schenn for Lehtera +
Stastny for picks +
Brassard for picks +
Sheahan for Wilson +
Duchene for picks +
Turris for picks +
C. Wilson for picks +
Drouin for Sergachev

That was just last year..
The vast majority of those are laughably inaccurate, and many of them are poor comparisons. Sheahan and Wilson are both much worse than Wennberg, Brassard is about the same only older, and Drouin isn't a center.

A case can be made for upgrading our #2C position, but this isn't it.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
5 games is nothing in the long season, and those performances are not all the same. Personnel moves make sense sometimes when you've got a team that is consistently unable to play the right way. The only question to ask is did they play the right way.
5 games don’t mean anything over the course of a long season? Tell that to the 2012/13 Jackets that missed the playoffs by a point. Very poing matters, every point is a necessity.

Okay I’m done.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Btw next game is against LA, another team we can't beat to save our lives. So 3 in a row on home ice, here we come.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
The vast majority of those are laughably inaccurate, and many of them are poor comparisons. Sheahan and Wilson are both much worse than Wennberg, Brassard is about the same only older, and Drouin isn't a center.

A case can be made for upgrading our #2C position, but this isn't it.
Brayden Schenn traded to Blues by Flyers for Jori Lehtera, picks

Stastny traded to Jets by Blues

Sabres trade Ryan O'Reilly to Blues for Patrik Berglund, trove of picks, top prospect

Penguins Acquire Derick Brassard in Three-Team Trade with OTT and VGK

NHL blockbuster: Duchene to Senators, Turris to Predators, picks and prospects to Avalanche in three-way trade - TheHockeyNews

Penguins trade Scott Wilson, acquire Riley Sheahan from Red Wings

Again, that was just last year. Charlie Coyle would be a better C than AW.

Reactions: The Bread Man

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Played 53 minute this game. I don’t buy the “bad bounces” excuses. I also don’t buy “shit performance”.

CBJ did GREAT at preventing plays early in game. They played their man close and took body when need be. Vancouver could barely get shots of any kind of quality and often plays resulted in nil in our end.

Then came that mental switch where they seemed to let up. Instead of playing men close we were reaching with sticks. Not forcing mistakes, turnovers, or pucks along boards.

Talk is cheap

Reactions: Cowumbus

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He absolutely is our 2C. You know that as well. Just because Jenner/Foligno play center does not mean they belong, or are.

It's not who plays center, it's who plays more. Wennberg's ice time is much lower than Jenner/Foligno, and the gap is widening by the game. It was 6-7 minutes lower tonight. If you want to argue that we don't have a 2C, then I'd sooner buy that. It really points to this as an issue that you can't solve by subtraction.

Wennberg is killing whatever line he’s on production

I have to say I really enjoy you letting me dunk on you like this.

When Wennberg is on the ice away from Duclair, the team scores above it's average, at basically the same rate as the top line. This will completely change the way you think about Wennberg, won't it?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wennberg + Peeke + 1st would return a good center.
That is not an answer to my question.

And no, that is not a guarantee. You have to look for a center to become available, and then have what the other team needs and/or wants. You can't just say "here's what I can spare, that adds up to Value Amount $X, therefore gimme that center I want". Players are not fungible assets.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There’s no doubt though that they need to go out and get a legit 2c. Wennberg is killing whatever line he’s on , production . If the jackets rally wanted to keep Panarin, they would strike while the iron is hot in St Louis , and get Tarasenko . Probably mean Werenski , plus , plus , but St Louis may be looking to move him

Doug MacLean likes this.

Reactions: major major

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
That is not an answer to my question.

And no, that is not a guarantee. You have to look for a center to become available, and then have what the other team needs and/or wants. You can't just say "here's what I can spare, that adds up to Value Amount $X, therefore gimme that center I want". Players are not fungible assets.
It was rumored Charlie Coyle was available, that’s an easy trade target. Might not even need to trade AW away.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Oh, do they now? Then why are we trying to get rid of them?
To fill a vital piece that is keeping this team from being a contender. That’s what trading is all about . Maybe another team doesn’t have a piece we can offer, to get us a legit center. The gap is growing with Jenner over Wennberg , because Wennberg is invisible 98% of the time, but by no means is Jenner a 2c

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
To make our team better.

Wennberg + Peeke + 1st would return a good center.

Even Panarin + Wennberg idc.
Yeah let's spare some young smart 2 meters RHD who can move the puck, because we have plenty of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad